The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2007, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by A.B SparrowHawk62, Sir!
Am not 100 percent certain on the "rank-systems" of the 2 seperate naval eras of Columbus and Leif Eriksson, but perhaps Columbus was the equivielent of the "S4" of the joint ships mission? (Which evidently had left their "S2"-officer aftsailed somewhere around their last bunkering-stop at the Canary Islands. I mean, "India" versus were they actually did arrive to....). Eriksson on the other hand, I think leaves no doubt having been the CO (Rear Adm) of that battle group, while his father was still in Island as the Norvegian equivilence of USN's "CNO". (SECNAV still being "homebased" in Norway......).Sincerely
A.B
I'm under the impression Columbus was referred to as Captain.
If I may, Eriksson must have been of an officer's rank as well?
So neither of them was a Master Chief? I think we should refrain from posting about non Master Chief personnel, as the subject of this post is the "McCain Incident". That is of course there is no relationship to McCain on the part of Columbus or Eriksson.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Once upon a time..

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-23-2007, 09:17 AM

Where men of steel rode wooden ships, it's said that Moby Dick was just a minnow and the world was flat..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g The topic of the thread was "Master Chief Petty officer "
and a sentence was his opinion of what happened on the Forestall. .

I would like to get more of that individual's opinion on the Forrestal topic. Any chance you can get him to join the list and participate in this discussion? I think Greg Freeman would like to interview him, too.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Thanks for considering inviting him.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:11 PM

If he is a man of principles, he will come here to help us all understand what happened.

When I give talks to college students in their Vietnam history class I start my speil by telling them my credentials: "I am a Vietnam veteran and have spent the past 30 years trying to understand why I became a Vietnam veteran." By this I mean that I constantly read, research and speak to others about why we got into Vietnam and what happened to us after we got there.

In this case if there are differing views to what I have read or observed I want to know. This is important because information of this nature will be used to "Swift Boat" McCain just like others did to Kerry during the last election.

At this point this individual's opinion isn't even his opinion, it is your version of what you heard or thought you heard.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default All,...

...I have stayed out of this for the most part,...

...I work with a man who is my friend who was on the ship that fateful day, I touched on the subject briefly, and as T is a fellow PSYCOVET who quietly goes by the handle "HAMMER", we share some thoughts as Brother Veterans together, and I have no quote from him, all that needed to be said was done with a look, a look between men that said it all,...

...He did tell me that after returning to the states, of all things he ended up in a "fire traing class" and having a few hash marks so to speak, he propt his feet up on the desk, and chair next to him, and tipped his cap down, and soon after, the ? Master Chief came over, and kicked his chair to arouse him, and proceeded to ask in the line of "What's up with your posturing", and what makes you think you can disrespect this class", and T's reply was " I was on the Forestal" in which the chief told him to go back to sleep,..............

...To be here with everyone to this day is a blessing, and consideration should be extended to all here regardless of differences of opinions,...

...I find Covan to be very well spoken, and heartfelt about his convictions, and just the fact that he is out there expressing his perceptions to the younger generation so that no matter what, THEY WILL NOT FORGET, and that someday, that younger generation will want to know the facts, and the truths surrounding the Vietnam War, they are not stupid college kids, they are the future is which we're trying to save from repeating the some of the same mistakes prior leaders made, and keeping ths Nation the greatest in the world,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 03-24-2007, 02:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

?Swift boated?, that seems to be part of the vernacular these days. If that it means being held accountable for being stone-stupid at one time, then it is misplaced terminology to be used in the general case. I knew some Swift boat Skippers that never in their wildest notion would put a deep v-hull, soft chine twin screw rig up on the shore line. Bow goes up, main battery 50 goes to vertical down gun stops, and it?s just sitting duck time, period.

Kind of like a track gun rig being run nose up atop a log and staying there, the bad guy says yum-yum and gets some, easy deal n? sure kill.

Don?t know didly about the McCain saga and wasn?t a carrier Sailor so can?t add a lot. Bad places, carrier flight decks are, n? really bad shit happens.

Scamp
Old 03-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SparrowHawk62

I'm under the impression Columbus was referred to as Captain.
If I may, Eriksson must have been of an officer's rank as well?
So neither of them was a Master Chief? I think we should refrain from posting about non Master Chief personnel, as the subject of this post is the "McCain Incident". That is of course there is no relationship to McCain on the part of Columbus or Eriksson.

SparrowHawk62, Sir!

Perhaps you are correct regarding Columbus, and he was Captain, on at least the vessel of the 3 in the mission, on which he was physically "on". But something tells me that, even if so, he may have had "dual MOS:es". My thoughts as him having (aswell evidently) the position of "S4", is based on my thoughts on whom had the key to the treassure-chest, were the missions funds were kept. Though I do not of course know for certain, I wonder if he would have given the responsbility of keeping that very specific key, to someone else on either of the 3 ships......

Allthough again straying away from the post-threads original subject, I yet wish to add 1 small detail though. The one whom first sighted "The Americas", was a man by the name "Rodrigo de Triana", when standing up in what I beleive is called "The Crows Nest", high up on 1 of the ships masts. With the frase "What is in a name" in mind, Rodrigo de Triana's name shows more precisely were he is from, than usual historical text often discloses. The latter generally states that e was from the city of Seville in southern Spain.

However!

The last part of his name, "de Triana", in itself actually also reveals from which Part of the city of Seville he came from. You see, "Triana", is a "city-part" of the city of Seville, across the river "Guadalquivir". The river devides "down town" Seville, from for example the city-part "Triana". And as a little added "trivia" to this, my own father actually was born and raised in Triana, before in his early 20's of age, emigrated from Spain, to move to Sweden. And when in Sweden, he met my Swedish mother, whom after a short period of time spent together, all of a sudden bursted out in "Ops!, I am pregnant" to my father. No, I am not joking, or trying to be funny. The above "trivia" is how I, "A.B", came to be so to say. I visited Seville several times in my youth, as my paternal grandparents still kept their appartment there. My grandfather died in 2004, but my grandmother still lives there, as does other relatives of me, on my fathers side. I have however myself not been there since late 1970s.....

T G C!

Sincerely
A.B
Old 03-24-2007, 05:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Cov, Curtis,
Right on the head!

Another brick in he wall of opinions. I find it a bit unfair to control your "friends".

Quote "All who I have considered asking to come hear, but You people have changed my mind. I'd like to keep them as friends.
Your (not just you Covan) God like attitude toward anything that remotely disagrees with you ,is not something I wish to impose on my friends.
When me and my friends finally do talk about VN, it's not to put each other down or call each other names or even correct there spelling, It's just to let each other talk, Thats all."

What is a "God like attitude"? Doesn't God control all things? You've only "considered asking them to come hear." ("here" is the correct spelling). You control the information that several of us would like to know and understand. If they are true "friends" and have any history to them, they would welcome the opportunity to give their story here. You are making their choice for them.

Give them the opportunity to tell their story! Don't tell it for them!

Remember? "Patriot Files...Dedicated to the Preservation of Military History" When you stop it, history ends.