The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2002, 06:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default See...You people out in Ca. ...

...are not the only one's with earth quakes...
...We had one this morning that registered a 5.1 on the "big meter"...
... Didn't sleep well last night after starting to watch "cliffhanger" which started at 11:00 pm our time, and by 12:15, said to self...self... "let's try to knock down a few hours of rest... to no avail, back up wide awake until 2:00/2:30ish, go down stairs, and hit the couch as not to wake the wife, and 3:06 rolls along, and it was the last number on the clock I remember...
...6:45 AM............. MY DAMN DOG STARTS BARKING LIKE THERE IS A DAMN EARTH QUAKE GOING ON, OR SOMETHING...
I heave several pillows, along with the traditional "shut the hell up"(sorry Keith), and he will not stop for nuthin...
...Now my wife is up, and looking around to smack me if possible for shaking the bed, and waking her up, and I'm not in the room.........
...Next time get the scheduling down, and keep em in Ca. .......

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2002, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I don't know...

...much about earthquakes (just hurricanes here in Florida),
but I've heard that animals can tell when an earthquake is about to happen.
Anybody know more about this? Sounds interesting!

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

"The sky, like the sea, is terribly unforgiving of even the slightest mistake."
Old 04-20-2002, 07:36 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool

They dudes, like we totally felt the earth quake here too. My old lady jumped out of bed and said that this was totally bitchin'. My mother was at a cafe having breakfast and said the coffee spilled out of her cup (just a little). But Jerker, your right, that was a left coast thing and next fall I'm voting again whoever had the idea to importing one of those things back east.

Rigger, I've heard about animal knowing before humans. Could be because they have such a great sense of hearing. Course I'm just guessing.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 04-20-2002, 07:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hurricanes and Earthquakes.

The Pacific Northwest gets its winter wind storms which often reach Hurricane winds, 75 mph or higher. We occassionally get a tornado but only every ten or fifteen years. Been through quite a few 5.1 quakes. That's a little one. We had a gully washer here a couple of years ago, now that is scary. Six inches of rain in a half hour. Everything was flooded and mud slides covered roads and railroads. Small creeks and rivers flooded almost instantly. I didn't like that at all. I wouldn't want to live in the mid-west with those tornados I think that would be more scary than an earthquake.

Keith
Old 04-20-2002, 11:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking ROCK AND ROLL

Yeah, I suppose a 5.1 is a sizeable quake.....to a novice. About average by CA standards. Been through many of these and most of them are no big deal. My wife says "Just a little reminder of where we live". However, my family has a cabin up in the Sierras in the Lake Tahoe area. We plan on holding onto it, as it may become valuable seaside property someday .

I'll take my chances in earthquake country any day, as opposed to living in Tornado Alley or the Mississippi flood plain. Especially Tornado Alley. Wouldn't live anywhere from MN to TX.

Lived in Spokane, WA when Mt. St. Helens blew her top. That was different. We were 300 miles away, but the dust and ash cloud that it sent our way was still large enough and dark enough to make the street lights come on at 3:00PM. It looked like a blizzard as the ash fell from the sky. Alot of sinners thought this was the end for sure.

Steve, I have two parrots and they get pretty agitated before a quake. My 3 dogs get restless, also. I don't know if they all sense it, or if one of them stirs up the other two.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool A number of years ago...

...I got interested in the '06 San Fransisco quake and read a few books on the subject.

One author depicted animals, and especially horses, as becoming agitated a number of hours before the shock waves actually arrived.
Another book painted a picture of the way the shock waves traveled down (up?) the fault line....the path, etc. and the speed as the waves moved from land to water (SF Bay?) and back to land.

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 04-22-2002, 05:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 
Default earthquakes

Earthquakes can be very scary espeacially if they are not common to your area. I've lived with the and been in too many mostly in washington and california but got the shit scared out of me in japan i don't think they have building codes there or a least didn'nt when i was there the buildings started falling from the first jolt then got worse followed by fire luckly i was drunk or i might have got hurt.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:37 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Chris! You are a nut! I'm laughin' so hard I'm cryin.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-23-2002, 07:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default like falling outta bed

I'll weigh in with my other CA natives here and say we don't think much of an earthquake unill it gets over 6.
the big one of 89 knocked all the stuff off the mantle and shelves, made half the water slosh outta th bathtub. I was in it, getting ready to watch the World Series, hopped out, THREW ON A PAIR OF PANTS! and ran out into the backyard.

james

Happy just to be alive
Old 04-23-2002, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: A number of years ago...

Quote:
Originally posted by 82Rigger
[BAnother book painted a picture of the way the shock waves traveled down (up?) the fault line....the path, etc. and the speed as the waves moved from land to water (SF Bay?) and back to land.
[/b]
Steve
there was a great video of the last big quake in LA, mid 90s. Someone was looking right down a long railroad tangent when they took the video and you can see this rolling swell coming up the tracks for a couple miles, very dramatic.

James