The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2007, 05:23 AM

Default Just A Small Story

As the years pass battles are often over looked, now while doing some research in to my family I came across to members of my family that were killed in battle. There were also quite a number of Americans that died along side of them.
Now my two uncles were killed while serving on HMS Hartland, now this ship had at one time been and American Coast Guard Vessel and been sent to Britain under the lease lend agreement.
Now back in 1942 it was decided in invade North Africa and set up a second front, and HMS Hartland along with another ship were given the job of crashing through the harbour boom and landing the American troops on the jetty in Oran harbour to stop the port installations being destroyed. Now the planners in their wisdom decided that beach landings further down the beach should go ahead some hours before these ships went into Oran Harbour. When they forced the boom and went in to Oran Harbour ever French gun was trained on them and blew them to pieces over 300 American troops on each ship were nearly wiped out and 80% of the ships crew also died. The Captain of the other ship who managed to survive was awarded the VC and was sent home to collect it but his plane was shot down on the way back to Britain and he was also killed.
It was reckoned if these attacks had gone in at the same time as the beach landings it would had been a success, but alas the brains at the time thought this mish mash up.
I do have photographs of the ship as a Coast Guard Vessel, as it look after it had been converted by the RN and what it looked like just before it blew up, but you can't seem to post them on here.

Pictures are in the Gallery go to WW2 then to the Navy section
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2007, 05:24 PM

Tab, I have a story for you too. This is my press release - A DAY TO REMEMBER ? or COMRADES TOGETHER
Veteran US Marine Norman Boike, now living in Grand Rapids, Michigan, has finally met the daughter of a British Royal Navy Steward, Henry Floyd, who he was billeted with on HMS Hartland, in World War 2 during Operation Torch.

Henry died some years ago but Karen Fogarty, Norman's daughter, and Trishia Welsh, Henry's daughter, have been corresponding since 2001. Trishia said, ?Quite separately, Karen and I had been searching on the internet for more information about HMS Hartland and posted notices on a web site and started chatting by email after that?. Trishia added: ?I have always been interested in the ships that my father served on, but what happened to him on HMS Hartland has always been a mystery as he said very little about it, so I made up my mind to come and meet Norman and find out more about that fateful day, 8 November 1942.

Both Norman and Henry were badly injured and survived under atrocious conditions, having to literally swim for their lives when the ship was bombed by the Vichy French at the entrance to Oran Harbour, Algeria. Henry, who was a Petty Officer Steward on the ship, had been standing on the bridge as First Aid Party, when they were hit. Norman was standing on a lower deck, as ordered, ready to land with the Stars and Stripes. Trishia said: ?I learnt that the survivors were liberated by American troops after two days and Henry arrived home after being treated for his injuries completely kitted out in American naval uniform.?

Not only had Norman been able to talk about the traumatic events during WW2 to his family over the years that Trishia and Karen corresponded, but he was now able to provide insight into what happened to Henry personally.

Norman, who continues to suffer problems and receive treatment to his back as a result of injuries sustained so long ago said: ?This has been such an emotional meeting for me and although it was tough to talk about the terrible events of that night, I recognised how important it was for Trishia to understand more about her father?s suffering. Although we had not met before, it was as if we had known each other for years and I know my family have found a truly wonderful new friendship because of it.?

Trishia presented Norman with a copy of a picture of HMS Hartland, alongside HMS Walney at Oran Harbour, as well as two crystal tumblers from the Royal Marine Museum in Portsmouth which had been inscribed with his and Henry?s names. Karen said: ?Trishia?s visit has given my dad a real boost and is something we will always remember as a family. Trishia, who lives near Hastings in England, said: "I am so thrilled at meeting Norman after all these years. He has made me realise just what a sacrifice our servicemen made for their countries at that time. I feel I have a real bond with him and his family now and I know we will continue to keep in touch and meet up again."
Old 04-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Thanks for sharing a heart warming story from the survivors perspective from the War
Old 04-06-2007, 03:37 AM

Thank you Dixie. There are quite a number of us that feel this particular set of events in WW2 were rather "brushed under the table". There is a new book in the process of being written by someone here in England. Pure co-incidence, but it seems that Tab, who started this thread, lives in the same town as me!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 AM

Tab and Treehopper - all through our lives we are all touched by some traumatic event. Loosing a friend or relative during a war time event is very much a personal thing. Only the families of those taken or lost can really relate to the issues at hand.

My family has always been enlisted types. Grand-Father, Dad and Uncle, my Brother and myself. They are all gone now except for me - so like you and others like us who've been exposed this type of hardship - its not going to be easy to forget them.

War's are fought for many reasons but the real looser's are the families of those kids sent over there to do the job. Most are anxious to participate as their comrade's are also going. We are no different. We don't fight the war in most instances because we understand all the ramifications involved - we fight the war because our friends are there.

England had to fight to survive as a Nation. America had to fight to retaliate against the Pearl Harbor event. We all have our excuses to get involved. But all and all its the common man or woman who pay the ultimate price - their lives.

We will never forget - is the motto - we all have those who we we've lost to wars so we can never forget . As survivor's we must carry on their memories - and let others know of their sacrifices - so that they will never forget or be forgotten.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"