Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Default Truly tragic...and ominous

Truly tragic...and ominous
Bambi Buster Bambi Buster
8 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

US soldier guns down 5 fellow soldiers in Iraq
By ROBERT H. REID, AP

BAGHDAD — A U.S. soldier opened fire at a counseling center on a U.S. base Monday, killing five fellow soldiers before being taken into custody, the U.S. command and Pentagon officials said.

The shooting occurred at Camp Liberty, a sprawling U.S. base on the western edge of Baghdad near the city's international airport and adjacent to another facility where President Barack Obama visited last month.

A brief U.S. statement said the soldier "suspected of being involved with the shooting" was in custody but gave no further details. Nobody else was hurt, the military said. It was unclear what provoked the shooting.

In Washington, Pentagon officials said the shooting happened at a stress clinic, where troops can go for help with the stresses of combat or personal issues. It was unclear whether those killed were workers at the clinic or were there for counseling. No details were released about the gunman.

"Anytime we lose one of our own, it affects us all," U.S. spokesman Col. John Robinson said. "Our hearts go out to the families and friends of all the service members involved in this terrible tragedy."

tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Loc: tn

I saw the news report on this tonight.
ABC news had done a report from the very clinic this took place just a couple weeks ago.
story goes he was inside the clinic, shot three soldier's and two enlisted workers at the clinic.

Now.....now the gov is going to do a study on the stress of multiple return trips to war zones.
NOW, they are going to do that!

please keep all these families in your prayers.
It sure has to be a hard pill to swallow when your loved one is killed by a fellow soldier.

how awful

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Camp Liberty is a weapons-rich environment, but the PR/damage control people at the Pentagon are probably burning the midnight oil tonight.

BAGHDAD — An American Army sergeant shot and killed five fellow soldiers following an altercation at a counseling center on a military base in Iraq Monday, officials said. The attack drew attention to the issues of combat stress and morale among soldiers serving multiple combat tours over six years of war.

The suspect had been disarmed after an earlier incident at the center but returned with another weapon, according to a senior military official in Washington, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation into the shootings was ongoing.

Loc: eastern carolina

It is with a very heavy heart that I write this response, as I learned today that a colleague and man that I respected very much was among those killed in this rampage.

I'm sure there will be a long investigation to sort this out. Whatever the truth is will not lend credance to those who would like to mount blame on the government for the alleged torturous psychological abuse of service members.

Of this much I feel confident:

-the shooter was a deeply disturbed individual
-as a forty something year old E-5 with many years in the service he was basically a crapbag soldier, hence his low rank
- as a com NCO on Camp Liberty he was not exposed to any combat on this deployment, and probably was never exposed to combat in his career
-hence he was not disturbed as a result of "combat" stress
-at some point in the last week he had threatened somebody with phyical violence, hence his weapon was taken from him
-more than likely he was facing punishment that would result in his seperation from the military, hence the emails to his wife that were referenced in the press claiming that certain officers were attempting to drive him from the military
-as suggested by his family, he loved the military and did not want to be seperated
-based on the threats made by him he was referred to counseling
-wanting to stay in the miilitary, he probably thought his recent bad conduct would be excused by a diagnosis of PTSD or the like
-his deficiencies not resulting from combat, such a diagnosis was probably not forthcoming
-enraged at the prospect of being held accountable, he stole a weapon and returned to the counseling center where he gunned down five innocent Americans in a cowardly fashion

Although my assessment is largely speculation, enough of the facts are out that I am confident that there is a large degree of truth in that sequence of events.

I worked with Commander Springle last year on a domestic violence case review committee he chaired. He was a fair, honest man of integrity who sought fair resolutions and worked hard to make the lives of service members better. I had a lot of respect for him and my heart aches for his wife and children.

Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

My sincere condoleces on the loss of your friend sir.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...=0#Post1326645
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links