The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2005, 10:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default OK Republicans---You HAPPY NOW?

What-tha-hell have I been telling y'all!

Can you NOW please take off those "rose colored" sun-shades and SEE what I've been saying for the last FIVE YEARS!

Bush is a FREAKIN LIER!

#####

Funds for Health Care of Veterans $1 Billion Short

2005 Deficit Angers Senate Republicans, Advocacy Groups

By Thomas B. Edsall

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, June 24, 2005; A29

The Bush administration, already accused by veterans groups of seeking inadequate funds for health care next year, acknowledged yesterday that it is short $1 billion for covering current needs at the Department of Veterans Affairs this year.

The disclosure of the shortfall angered Senate Republicans who have been voting down Democratic proposals to boost VA programs at significant political cost. Their votes have brought the wrath of the American Legion, the Paralyzed Veterans of America and other organizations down on the GOP.

"I was on the phone this morning with Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson, letting him know that I am not pleased that this has happened," said Sen. Larry E. Craig (R-Idaho), chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. "I am certain that he is going to take serious steps to ensure that this type of episode is not repeated." (No hell he won't!---He's GEE-W's "lap dog"---he ain't gonna bite the CIC....Gimp)

The $1 billion shortfall emerged during an administration midyear budget review and was acknowledged only during lengthy questioning of Jonathan B. Perlin, VA undersecretary for health, by the House Veterans Affairs Committee at a hearing yesterday.

"We weren't on the mark from the actuarial model," Perlin testified. He said that the department has already had to use more than $300 million from a fund that had been expected to be carried over to the fiscal 2006 budget, and that as much as $600 million for planned capital spending will have to be shifted to help pay for health care.

At a noon news conference yesterday, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), a member of the Senate Appropriations subcommittee covering veterans affairs and the lead sponsor of Senate Democratic efforts to add $1.9 billion to the VA budget, accused the Bush administration of unwillingness "to make the sacrifices necessary to fulfill the promises we have made to our veterans."

In a rare display of bipartisanship on the polarized issue of veterans spending, Craig appeared with Murray at the news conference and said he agreed with many of her comments.
Murray cited an April 5 letter written by Nicholson to the Senate in a bid to defeat her amendment: "I can assure you that VA does not need emergency supplemental funds in FY2005 to continue to provide timely, quality service that is always our goal," he had said. (He's a lying shithead!----Gimp)

Murray aides said they obtained a draft copy of the midyear review in early April, suggesting that the department knew of the budget problems at the time Nicholson wrote the letter.

VA spokesman Terry Jemison refused to release a copy of the document, saying, "We don't provide information about pre-decisional budget passback and midyear reviews."

Nicholson issued a statement yesterday: "The health care needs of America's veterans are among VA's highest priorities. Working with our partners in Congress, I'm confident that VA's budget will continue to provide world-class health care to the nation's veterans." (Yeah, right!.........Gimp)

Craig and other Senate and House Republicans declined to say how much the fiscal 2006 budget would be raised above the level proposed by the administration. They said any attempt to supplement the current fiscal 2005 appropriation will have to await more detailed information on the shortfall this year. Craig said he plans to hold a hearing next week on VA funding needs.

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Tex.), chairman of the Senate Appropriations subcommittee on military construction and veterans affairs, said she had just been informed of the $1 billion fiscal 2005 shortfall.

"We can never fall short on our promises to those who have sacrificed so much," Hutchison said. (Damn hypocrite! She's one of the Senators whose been condemning the Democrats for OVER-STATEING budget needs----------where the hell has she been these last 5 years-----with her damn head in the SAND like most Republicans I suppose, huh?----Gimp)

The House has already approved a $68.1 billion Department of Veterans Affairs appropriation for fiscal 2006 that has been sharply criticized by the American Legion, the Paralyzed Veterans of America and the Disabled American Veterans.

Richard Fuller, legislative director of the Paralyzed Veterans, said the money problems this year and next were obvious to anyone visiting VA clinics and hospitals. (They ain't got time for that, they're too busy figuring out another damn TAX CUT!---Gimp)

"You could see it happening, clinics shutting down, appointments delayed," Fuller said.

Joseph A. Violante, legislative director of the Disabled American Veterans, said Perlin's testimony yesterday confirms the veterans' assessment that the Bush administration is "shortchanging veterans."

The Bush administration and House Republicans have been the main focus of anger among veterans organizations.

Their "policies are inconsistent with a nation at war," said Steve Robertson, legislative director of the American Legion. They violate the basic military value of "an army of one, teamwork, taking care of each other," he said.

The administration and Congress, Robertson said, are promoting policies that "subdivide veterans into little groups, the ones that 'deserve' and the ones who 'don't deserve.' "

Veterans groups are particularly angry with Buyer, who was specially chosen by the House leadership to chair the House Veterans Affairs Committee to keep spending down. Buyer was selected to replace Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.), who had alienated House leaders by pushing for high levels of spending on veterans programs.

Buyer recently sparked new controversy in an interview published by the American Legion Magazine in which he said the department should concentrate on serving a "core constituency," and he disputed assertions that "all veterans are veterans and all veterans should be treated the same."

The Indiana Republican has defended the House's fiscal 2006 spending levels for veterans, contending that VA health care would actually grow by $1.6 billion under the House legislation.

American Legion National Commander Thomas P. Cadmus countered that nearly $1 billion of the $1.6 billion increase would be achieved by cutting other medical accounts: $533 million from the medical administration account, $417 million from medical facilities and $9 million from medical and prosthetics research.

Yesterday, Buyer called on the Senate to "drill down" into VA money problems to determine the legitimate needs for fiscal years 2005 and 2006.

In addition to their unhappiness with spending levels, veterans groups are bitter over the changes initiated by the Republican leadership in the jurisdiction of appropriations subcommittees. VA funding was shifted from the subcommittee that includes housing and NASA programs to the subcommittee on military quality of life and Veterans Affairs and related agencies, which forces the Veterans Affairs Department to compete for limited funds with such programs as Defense Department health care, military cemeteries and military construction. "The American Legion is not about to write Congress and say 'take away from DOD heath care' [in order to boost VA funding]. That's completely unacceptable," Robertson said.

The veterans lobby has already beaten back two controversial Bush administration proposals: a $250 enrollment fee for veterans joining the health care system and an increase in the prescription co-payment, from $7 to $15.

Leaders of the American Legion, the Paralyzed Veterans and the Disabled American Veterans all noted a striking partisan division in Congress on veterans issues, with Democrats giving them much more support than Republicans. (What the hell have I been saying for YEARS NOW!...Gimp)

Traditionally, Violante said, "Republicans have been supportive of defense," but he said Bush administration policies and votes in the House and Senate suggest that the GOP does not view the care of veterans as "a continuing cost of war."

In the 2004 election, exit polls showed that voters who had served in the military were decisively more Republican than those who had not. President Bush carried the one out of five voters who had served by 16 percentage points, 57 to 41, while Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) barely won those who had not served, 50 to 49.

The Bush administration's priorities are "a little bit different now and veterans aren't a priority," Violante said. He described this as "terrible -- I think it's unconscionable." (No Shit Sherlock!....Gimp)

#######End#######

May the diseases, injuries, pain and suffering of all disabled veterans and their families come to pass on each and every one of those within the Bush administration as well as the members of Congress who have brought this misery upon this nations military veterans and their dependents.

George W. Bush is nothing more than a slippery, sniveling, snobbish, slimy, slithery snake-in-the-grass that will NOT tell the truth and/or lie his ass off about anything he thinks he can get away with.

He P-R-O-M-I-S-E-D he would make SURE that ALL Veterans would be assured of their E-A-R-N-E-D benefits before AND after the 2000 election AND the 2004 election.........

But ,.........I believe I've been saying that for more than 5 years now he is a damn lier, haven't I?

WTF does it take for the conservatives, republicans, Christian or otherwise.....to WAKE THE HELL UP and understand what the FACTS ARE???

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What,

No OUTRAGE from the republicans around here.

Well I KNOW there's at LEAST one that will raise as much hell as I do when he see's this.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 06-24-2005, 01:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wanna

try and keep this "up front" where EVERYONE can see the injustice taking place in Washignton.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-24-2005, 04:20 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

To use your phrase, "WTF does it take..." for ALL administrations and Congresses to wake up and do the right thing?

Not only that, what would it take for all concerned Vets and Americans to do the same?

Congress appropriates the funds. So, let Congress appropriate the doggone funds! How 'bout that solution?

No President intentionally sits down at his desk with a sharp red pencil and purposefully hurts Veterans... that does NOT happen! Nor does any President get his bean counters together and order them to shortsheet any Vets.

The Democrats will have their next chance at the White House and Congress here in a fairly short time. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK

Congress appropriates the funds. So, let Congress appropriate the doggone funds! How 'bout that solution?

Sir Blue .................You really need to go get a CLUE , ya know??? Let me help you out here a little with your so-called "solution", OK.

The CIC, your boy GEE-Double-U, threatened to V-E-T-O (did you forget he had the option of line item veto now?) the bill if it came across his desk with any substantial "additional" funding last year (as he did THIS year as well).

No President intentionally sits down at his desk with a sharp red pencil and purposefully hurts Veterans... that does NOT happen! Nor does any President get his bean counters together and order them to shortsheet any Vets.

That's the biggest crock of shit to come out of your mouth since you've posting around here!

You actually BELIEVE that ALL the "political" ramifications weren't thoroughly examined, discussed and conclusions drawn with ALL his "bean counters", political and domestic policy advisors WELL before he put his pen to paper?

What parallel universe are you living in? These guys ain't STUPID.......just UNCARING and possibly evil! They knew EXACTLY what in the hell they were doing!

The DAV, VFW, Paralyzed Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, V VA and others who have TEAMS of "bean counters" that draw up "The Independent Budget", (these organizations have been doing this for a number of years now and draw upon historical facts and trends that have been verified to be accurate within a miniscule amount each year with regards to "projections" and "cost analysis"!) and have it prepared every year BEFORE the President and his staff submit their budget.

The Democrats will have their next chance at the White House and Congress here in a fairly short time. Good luck.

Good luck MY COUNTRY BOY ASS! If folks like YOU and other so-called conservative types would get off yer asses and RAISE SOME HELL with your "boy" GW and his Republican cronies in office. Maybe.....just maybe, we could get SOME of this shit fixed NOW!

We can't wait THREE MORE YEARS for Bush and the republicans to get some "compassion" and live up to their mantra of "compassionate conservatives"! What a freakin JOKE that is!

You know, you sit there and spout your rhetorical, discombobulated diatribes about "coming together" and "stand together" and help "defeat the enemy" and other such crap all the time. Why can't YOU do something yourself about THIS my friend???? Huh? Why can't you?

You think this ain't some serious shit as well? We have military Veterans that are DIEING and SUFFERING because of this shit. This IS just as much a "cost of war" as ANY DAMN thing else this country has an obligation to fund and support. Those "troops" that are fighting this War in Iraq right now that you so wholeheartedly support will NEED the services and benefits supplied by the VA...... VERY SOON if the current "trends" continue.

But, unless we can get YOU and the other "compassionate conservatives" involved in DEMANDING that GEE-W get off his ass and fix this shit like he PROMISED he would in 2000 and 2004. Those young troops will be JUST as screwed as WE are!

NUFF SAID!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-25-2005, 01:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Here's what I am gonna reply to that outburst...

a. You don't need to speak to me in that way. I say this because I choose to believe that, at bottom, we both share a love of our country and our people and our military. I ask you to not stereotype me.

b. To my understanding, there are about 20,000,000 living Vets in America today...give or take. Add to that force the DAV, VFW, AL and all the rest of the organizations. We-all make quite a substantial voting block... if we'd quit with the "Poor Me"attitudes.

c. A lot of assertions are being thrown around about how the VA budget came to be, how it is going to come down, and now the "line item veto." Show me proof, that George W. Bush (or any President, for that matter), the man who gave the order to send us into battle, would intentionally, negligently, and purposefully deprive Veterans of anything that was within HIS power to grant them!

I'll venture this... if it was within my ability, I would sincerely want you and me to go together to Washington DC, and have a little sit down conference together with the President... even if his name were to be Clinton . Just you and me, and him, for as long as it took.

I'd want to hear that person respond directly to the accusations that are being made, free and clear, open and honest, face to face, one on one.

My hunch is that a lot of folks would come away from the conference with an entirely different perception than the rotten one being offered by some folks who, in my opinion, have an agenda unrelated to the issues they raise.

Now, having said that... who I voted for in the last election is my personal business. In time of war it does not matter who we voted for, nor how anyone gets elected. We must first deal with what is, not with how things oughta be, as we, in our esteemed tranquility, think they should. We deal with that first, other stuff later. There will be centuries in which to discuss the fine points.

Today, and unless or until our military commanders say it's over, it ain't gonna be over.

Anyone who sees fit can get as endlessly steamed up angry about this as they please, but those are the realities.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by BLUEHAWK Here's what I am gonna reply to that outburst...

a. You don't need to speak to me in that way. I say this because I choose to believe that, at bottom, we both share a love of our country and our people and our military. I ask you to not stereotype me.

"Stereotype"..........you're doin a good enough job yourself...I DON'T need to try and expand on that. Like my Grandpappy said "If it walks, talks, squawks and shits like a "Duck"..........it's probably ...a "DUCK"!

b. To my understanding, there are about 20,000,000 living Vets in America today...give or take. Add to that force the DAV, VFW, AL and all the rest of the organizations. We-all make quite a substantial voting block... if we'd quit with the "Poor Me"attitudes.

"Poor Me" attitude my ass!----------You and others like you think I'm doing this because of ME! I GOT MINE my dear Mister Blue! I'm already 100% disabled. I go straight to the front of the line and know HOW to get what I require from them. (As long as they've got the funds to provide it for me) And it sure as hell ain't with a "poor me attitude"!

I suppose my own well being and my wifes as well does play a part of why I do this. BUT, the MAIN reason is the unfortunate ones out there who are either UNaware, Unable, Unconscience (like it appears you may be at times) and/or UNfortunate enough to be subject to the "whims" of politicians Uncaring and Unsavory reluctance to provide the "funds" necessary to the VA to properly achieve their Congressionally mandated functions.

c. A lot of assertions are being thrown around about how the VA budget came to be, how it is going to come down, and now the "line item veto." Show me proof, that George W. Bush (or any President, for that matter), the man who gave the order to send us into battle, would intentionally, negligently, and purposefully deprive Veterans of anything that was within HIS power to grant them!

I'll be glad to. Just gimmie a few minutes and I'll find it!

I'll venture this... if it was within my ability, I would sincerely want you and me to go together to Washington DC, and have a little sit down conference together with the President... even if his name were to be Clinton . Just you and me, and him, for as long as it took .

You set it up.........I'll be there!

I'd want to hear that person respond directly to the accusations that are being made, free and clear, open and honest, face to face, one on one.

My hunch is that a lot of folks would come away from the conference with an entirely different perception than the rotten one being offered by some folks who, in my opinion, have an agenda unrelated to the issues they raise.

Not...........I'd STILL think he is an arrogant, lying, snobbish scumbag!

Now, having said that... who I voted for in the last election is my personal business. In time of war it does not matter who we voted for, nor how anyone gets elected. We must first deal with what is, not with how things oughta be, as we, in our esteemed tranquility, think they should. We deal with that first, other stuff later. There will be centuries in which to discuss the fine points.

Today, and unless or until our military commanders say it's over, it ain't gonna be over.

So then....Bush WAS wrong when he claimed "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED"....HUH?

Anyone who sees fit can get as endlessly steamed up angry about this as they please, but those are the realities.

Only in YOUR little "corner" of the universe my dear Mister Blue!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-25-2005, 09:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default RE: VETO's and such

You asked for it, here it is.................and this is just SOME of it!

Here's that "PROOF" you were lookin for!

Bush Thanks Veterans,
Then Cuts Their Health Care
The Daily Mis-Lead
6-2-04

President Bush spent the Memorial Day weekend thanking the nation's veterans for their service, saying "we acknowledge the debt [we owe them] by showing our respect and gratitude."

Yet, his rhetoric came just hours after the Bush Administration announced new plans to slash veterans health care funding if it returns to power in 2005.

Late last week, the Administration released a memo detailing a plan to cut $1 billion from the Veterans Administration in the first budget of its second term. The cut would come even after the White House has tried to close veterans hospitals throughout the country, and has proposed veterans health care budgets that have been criticized by veterans groups and the President's own Veterans Affairs secretary.

It also comes after the president decided to cut off 164,000 veterans from their existing prescription drug coverage, and threatened to veto any bill that would allow veterans to receive both the military pension they were promised, and any disability compensation to which they are entitled.

Sources:
1. Presidential Weekly Radio Address Speech,
WhiteHouse.gov, 05/29/04.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20040529.html

2. "Democrats rip Bush's outline for cuts in domestic
programs," Palm Beach Post, 5/28/04.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/co...aper/editions/
today/news_046b8a51b0d3412100f5.html

3. "VA Seeks Major Hospital Overhaul," CBS News,
8/05/03.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in566686.shtml

4. "President Bush's Veterans' Budget Called Woefully
Inadequate and Inexcusable," Senate Democratic Policy
Committee, 2/12/04.
http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-...me=fs-108-2-39

5. "VA Cuts Some Veterans' Access to Health Care,"
Washington Post, 1/17/03.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...4064-2003Jan16

6. "Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill," Washington
Post, 10/7/02, p.A02.

By Vernon Loeb

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, October 7, 2002; Page A02

Alarmed by the cost of expanding military entitlement programs, President Bush has threatened to veto the $355 billion defense authorization bill for the new fiscal year if House and Senate conferees do not eliminate new pension benefits for disabled military retirees that could cost from $18.5 billion to $58 billion over the next decade.

July 22, 2004

The Honorable C. W. Bill Young

Chairman

Committee on Appropriations

U.S. House of Representatives

Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Mr. Chairman:

The Administration appreciates the expeditious consideration of the thirteen FY 2005 Appropriations Bills in the House, including the FY 2005 Department of Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development, and Independent Agencies Appropriations Bill.

The Administration, however, would not support House passage of the FY 2005 VA/HUD Appropriations bill as it is currently drafted.

The President?s Budget responsibly holds the growth in total discretionary spending to less than four percent and the growth in non-security spending to less than one percent, while providing the critical resources needed for our Nation?s highest priorities, such as:

Fighting the war on terror, strengthening our homeland defenses, and sustaining the momentum of our economic recovery.

The Administration appreciates the Committee?s support for our veterans. The Administration is disappointed, however, that many of the other priorities??? outlined in the President?s FY 2005 Budget are not adequately funded in this bill, including the President?s ?Vision for Space Exploration,? the HUD portion of the Prisoner Re-entry Initiative, and AmeriCorps.

(GIVE ME A PHUCKIN BREAK, WILL YA? THESE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN MILITARY VETERANS BENEFITS????----GIMP)

If the final version of this bill that is presented to the President does not include adequate funding levels for Presidential initiatives, his Senior Advisors would recommend that he veto the bill.

2002-2003 ANNUAL REPORT
of the
DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
LEGISLATIVE DEPARTMENT
by
JOSEPH A. VIOLANTE
NATIONAL LEGISLATIVE DIRECTOR
for presentation to
THE 82ND NATIONAL CONVENTION
NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
AUGUST 16-19, 2003

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Anthony Principi had made projections early in 2002 that he would need an additional $400 million during fiscal year (FY) 2002 to avoid freezing enrollment for VA medical care . Based on those projections, we had an ongoing grassroots campaign urging Congress to provide that amount in the FY 2002 supplemental appropriations bill, which had been reported by the House Appropriations Committee in May 2002.

Despite Secretary Principi?s projection, the President had asked Congress for only $142 million in supplemental appropriations for VA medical care. Congress included $417 million for veterans? medical care in the bill it cleared for the President?s signature on July 24, 2002 . However, by law the money could not be spent unless the President designated it as emergency spending. The President signed the bill into law on August 2, 2002, but he would only designate $142 million of the amount Congress provided for VA as emergency spending. Consequently, $275 million of the money was never released to VA, though VA had reached the point where it had to freeze enrollment, and veterans receiving treatment were waiting for months for medical appointments.

For those of you living in that "paralellel universe" ....that's a back door V-E-T-O if I EVER saw one!----Gimp.......... As is this quote from the same report........"We do face more opposition from the present Administration, which appears to be dead set against concurrent receipt legislation, mandatory funding for VA medical care, and any sufficiently higher appropriations for veterans? programs. When VA?s witnesses testify on bills before the Veterans? Affairs Committees of the House and Senate, they are really messengers bearing the Administration?s position on the legislation under consideration. On almost all legislation that will require additional expenditures of money to improve or expand programs for veterans, VA now testifies in opposition, consistent with the Administration?s overarching goal of reducing, rather than expanding, Federal programs.

You need any MORE "PROOF "..................just let me know, ok????????

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 06-25-2005, 01:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Gimpy.... Amen and Amen brother! I would rather see my brothers get the absolute best care than worry about Space Exploration, etc., etc. Although I'm a Republican I can see someone "Strategerizing" and "Catapaulting the propaganda" out of their hind quarters. The Bastich just wants to send our own into the meatgrinder and could really give a Flak about Duty, Honor, and Country. As long as he doesn't have to worry about coming home with a tube in his gut or his legs and hands missing he's just gonna bow his head in mock prayer to acknowledge the sacrifices of the Veterans. We've got the money for bombs and bullets, why don't we have the money for the results of using those bombs and bullets?

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 06-26-2005, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by urbsdad6 [/i]"Gimpy.... Amen and Amen brother! I would rather see my brothers get the absolute best care than worry about Space Exploration, etc., etc."

Thanks Doc...............Try and get those "other" republicans to believe that and you'll probably get
called "traitor"......"commie"....."TeddyJaneFonda" or some other numbskull, derogatory comment. -----Gimp

"We've got the money for bombs and bullets, why don't we have the money for the results of using those bombs and bullets?"

Once again, you'll have to ask those other Republicans, since it appears it it's THEM who are preventing the Veterans and their dependents from receiving their earned health care & benefits!-----Gimp

Doc Urb

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"