The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Need Some Help Spotting A Wannabee

I was browsing at some of the messages on THC Vietnam War message board and what caught my attention was a couple characters claiming to be former Green Barets. They are ClumsyCarp and sfrvn.
They told stories about being pegged for Baret training in basic by SF Recruiters and on and on and on. One told a story just him and his buddy was able to pass all the written test that was given to them out of 100 men. Even though I didn't go to Vietnam, I was in the Army in the 60s and don't recall Green Barets willing to sit down with any ground troop just to chew the fat because they didn't have anything else better to do. That wasn't part of their mole. They mostly kept to themselves.
Also, from what I recall, you had to serve three years active duty before you could even apply for Special Forces. Do anyone recall it being different ?
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

Quote:
don't recall Green Barets willing to sit down with any ground troop just to chew the fat because they didn't have anything else better to do
They didn't. Even though I flew into their camps from Panama and administered tests, we were still outsiders.

Quote:
you had to serve three years active duty before you could even apply for Special Forces
Also true.

Now you know why some of us have stayed here for so long.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default watering hole

Although I'm far from being a Green Beret, you might ask your potential wannabee what the motto of the Green Berets is. The answer, BTW, is De Oppresso Libre, of in English, "To free the oppressed." Hope this helps.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Brings back officer: "B-bustin" memories.

Don't know very much about Green Berets, other than what seen on TV, in movies & remembering the bustin of a couple of officers' chops in West Germany, circa 56-57.

While heading towards PX up in Graf to buy cigs & whatever with Frank & Jesse in our kelly green uniforms with red C-caps (Aggressor Force uniform), we gave a very snappy & chest pounding salute (actually a Roman Legion type salute) to some captain & major coming towards us

After returning our salutes, they stopped & questioned: "Were we the new 10th Special Forces training there"?

Big mouth me instantly replied: "NO SIR"! "10th Recon just trains them".

After we parted company Fellow Totally Gung-Ho Brainwashed Frank & Jesse said to me:
"Damn, Neil"! "That was great". "But,...you got some balls".

Regardless &: "If you're not Recon you're SHIT" bullshit bravado aside, the most we knew about "Them" at the time was that only NCO Volunteers were accepted into that NEW battalion size elite unit of Green Berets.

Also,...if one couldn't at least do triple digits in push-ups,...one needen't bother volunteering.

The word was that some of those guys could do over a thousand.

Neil

P.S. Friends,
Is this: "WateringHole" the same one that Pack questioned duplicity on General posts?

Last edited by reconeil; 04-03-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: corrections plus add P.S.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

"Watering hole" is a troll, sad to say.

David has taken steps in this re: with a similar thread posted the name day...
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEHAWK View Post
"Watering hole" is a troll, sad to say.

David has taken steps in this re: with a similar thread posted the name day...
Just a precautionary word...practice good OPSEC on the boards. If someone asks how to spot a phony, and you post questions to ask, with answers...you educate the posers out there how to properly respond. Private Messaging is a good way to verify the status of the person asking the question...and a good way to pass info without making it public knowledge.

Just an observation...what has happened lately with wateringhole is a good example of "why" it's important. Isn't that right, 4bravo/fip oea/39mto39g, etc? Rest assured, ronnabe is still reading these posts.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow quite so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don744 View Post
Just a precautionary word...practice good OPSEC on the boards. If someone asks how to spot a phony, and you post questions to ask, with answers...you educate the posers out there how to properly respond. Private Messaging is a good way to verify the status of the person asking the question...and a good way to pass info without making it public knowledge.

Just an observation...what has happened lately with wateringhole is a good example of "why" it's important. Isn't that right, 4bravo/fip oea/39mto39g, etc? Rest assured, ronnabe is still reading these posts.
... and well aware.