The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Sorry son , your not old enough!

I sat down to write this after TWO (2 bottles of wine) gt. bottles of wine.
In 1966 I borded a C-130 at around 2:30 in the morning headed for the Dominican Republic. I had just been assigned to the 82 Airborne, While enroute to Dominican Republic Some guy told us that Won Bosh , a rebel leader had just taken over the town of Santo Dimingo, We were going to retake the airport and link up with a Marine unit that were landing on 'Red Beach' as we speek. At that point he commenced to hand out M-14s and ammo. ????
We landed at Santo Dimingo with no lights and departed the plane in single file heading toward what looked to be the control tower. The tower was taken without gunfire and the lights to the airport were turned on. We secured the area around the tower and waited to hear from the Marines. I thought what the hell have I gotten into.
Next morning we moved out at daybreak. were to link with the Marines in the middle of town. While enroute there was a large amout of Gunfire from the direction we were heading. We arrived just at the end of what one Marine discribed as an intence firefight, We were looking at a 4 or 5 story building that had been rittaled with bullits. We were sent to the left flank of the building. The Marines did a frontal assalt on the building and building was reported secure. Seem won and he marry men had left out the back door. The 82nd chased The rebels through the hills and swamps of Dominica Republic for the next 6 months. at which time the 82nd and the Marines borded LSD Hematage for the 4 day trip back to the US. We landed somewhere along the North Carolina cost and convoid to Fort Benning Georga, Where I was again in training, After the Training I volenterred for Viet Nam. I hated State side duty. I got orders, I think because I said to the first sgt (after he turn out the light) that it was ok , it was be kind to dumb sgt week. Artical 15 and orders for 25th inf div.
30 day leave and of to wonder land. I arrived and won the war and a year later they sent me home. A few friends short and memories for the rest of my life. Home for 30 day leave and of to fort carson colorado to the 5th inf Mec, and more training. they were getting ready to go to vietnam and they were full of questions to me about VN. I gave them my advise and was ordered to stay at the fort for the rest of my stay with the 5th. Seems the officers didn't like me telling the grunts stuff. . I applied for and got an eirly out to go to college. Sept 3 1968 I was discharged from the United States Army, Honorably. I was home Sept 4th.
I went to a local bar for a beer and the bar tender asked me for ID, I gave him my Id and he said" Sorry son , your not old enough!" As I turned and walked to the door, I thought to myself, I was 20 years old, been in two wars, seen countless people killed and injured , held the platoons lives in my hand (RTO) and I can't buy a beer, at the door I turned and smiled at the bar tender, and said I'll see you next month. Oct 1968 I turned 21.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2006, 07:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Ron

I turned 21 Oct 10th 1968. I still had 3 months left in Nam before I could go home and legally drink in the United States. Thinking about that kind of pisses me off. You could go to Vietnam but couldn't go to a bar in the US.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Doc.2/47

There was a guy checking ID's at the door to a bar in the "tenderloin" part of S.F.;I handed him mine. He gave it a hard look:

"Sorry Son,but you're not 21 until the 14th and this is just the 13th;come back tomorrow."

"What time is it?"

"Oh...about midnight."

"No,exactly what time is it?"

"Well...looks like...12:01,what...?"

"That makes it "tomorrow" doesn't it?"

(laughs)"I suppose it does. Come on in. Enjoy yourself Kid."

"I intend to...and make that "Sir"."
Old 05-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I left for the Oakland Army Base ( from Memphis ) to go to Vietnam on my 21st birthday. My best friend from high school had been an MP in Vietnam with the 1st Cav and was serving out the rest of his 3 years at Oakland Army Base. He and I had a great time. He told me a lot about Vietnam I had not heard anywhere else.

Larry
Old 05-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Robert J Ryan

I turned 21 Oct 30 th 1969 I was with the 4th ID and if I remember correctly we were on two stand down at Camp Enari for replacements after the Chu Moor Fight.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default B'days in the Army.

I turned 19 in Basic Training [20JAN66]. Did KP. HAPPY B'DAY TRAINEE.

I turned 20 on an ambush somewhere around Kontum. My company had 8 KIA and 1 guy die of malaria that month. HAPPY B'DAY YOUNG TROOPER.

I turned 21 while at Ft. Bragg with the 82nd. I'd been married for less than a month. A little over 3wks. later, I was on my way back to The Nam. WTF, OVER? HAPPY B'DAY YOUNG SGT.

I turned 22 20dys. after I returned from my 2nd tour, and 19dys. after I ETS'd [1JAN69] on an 8 day early out. HAPPY B'DAY YOUNG CIVILIAN! .

On that final flight back to The World, we stopped in Hawaii. We were going to be there for a couple of hours, so they let us off the plane. Me and a few other guys headed for one of the airport bars. The cocktail waitress asked for ID's. I had left my military ID on the plane in a carry-on. All I had on me was my dog tags, and she wasn't accepting those. I was in jungle fatigues with all the patches on. WE could not talk her into serving me. We all got up from the table and went to another bar in the airport where it was a guy tending bar. He didn't ask ANY of us for ID, and gave us a round on the house :cl: . To HELL with that BITCH.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Turned 24 in RVN , had gone to college after HS graduation in 65. Hoped the war would not end before I could get there. Tried to unvolunteer after the first night. THANK YOU for calling tonight Tom , been in a funk for awhile
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Don't mention it, my friend. That's what we do sometimes; we help carry each other's ruck for awhile. Was glad to hear ya hang up laughing :cl: .
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Thanks Frisco

I am glad you noticed LTs blues too, I had talked with him yesterday and he was way down. Didn't even want to go to our favorite bar for a drink. He is much better this morning.

I was 20 years old, a 2nd Lt and headed for tour 2 in VN. Had to get my mothers permission to get married because I wasn't old enough.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:10 AM

LT - I hope you're in better spirits. I get those days too and it only takes a few of your good friends to pull you out of the hole we fall into once an awhile. I always preach keeping a positive attitude but life is such that you can't always do that. I know where your coming from.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"