The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Students reject honor to 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' hero

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BRAVE NEW SCHOOLS
Students reject honor to 'Baa Baa Black Sheep' hero
Member of Marines not 'sort of person UW wanted to produce'

Posted: February 14, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

? 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Lt. Col. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington during World War II (Photo: National Archives)
The University of Washington's student senate rejected a memorial for alumnus Gregory "Pappy" Boyington of "Black Sheep Squadron" fame amid concerns a military hero who shot down enemy planes was not the right kind of person to represent the school.

Student senator Jill Edwards, according to minutes of the student government's meeting last week, said she "didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

Ashley Miller, another senator, argued "many monuments at UW already commemorate rich white men."

Senate member Karl Smith amended the resolution to eliminate a clause that said Boyington "was credited with destroying 26 enemy aircraft, tying the record for most aircraft destroyed by a pilot in American Uniform," for which he was awarded the Navy Cross.

Smith, according to the minutes, said "the resolution should commend Colonel Boyington's service, not his killing of others."

The senate's decision was reported first by Seattle radio talk-host Kirby Wilbur of KVI, whose listeners were "absolutely incensed," according to producer Matt Haver.

Brent Ludeman, president of the university's College Republicans, told WND in an e-mail the decision "reflects poorly on the university."

"Pappy Boyington went beyond the call of duty to serve and protect this country ? he simply deserves better," Ludeman said. "Just last year, the university erected a memorial to diversity. Why can't we do the same for Pappy Boyington and others who have defended our country?"

The resolution points out Boyington, a student at the UW from 1930-34, served as a combat pilot in the 1st Squadron, American Volunteer Group ? the "Flying Tigers of China" ? and later as a Marine Corps combat pilot in charge of Marine Fighting Squadron 214, "The Black Sheep Squadron."

Along with the Navy Cross, Boyington was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Franklin D. Roosevelt for his heroism. He was shot down and spent 20 months in a Japanese prisoner-of-war camp.

The resolution says, "Be it resolved ? [t]hat we consider Col. Gregory Boyington, United States Marine Corps, to be a prime example of the excellence that this university represents and strives to impart upon its students, and, That we desire for a memorial for Col. Boyington be commenced by the University of Washington by 11 January 2008, the twentieth anniversary of his death, which will be publicly displayed, so that all who come here in future years will know that the University of Washington produced one of this country's bravest men, and that we as a community hold this fact in the highest esteem."

Commenting on the decision, a blogger who says he met Boyington on numerous occasions at a museum and air show over the years noted the famous flyer "was no rich boy," having grown up in a struggling family in which he was forced to work hard to make it through school. The blogger, who hosts the website Paradosis, also pointed out Boyington was part Sioux.

Boyington was open about his marital problems and alcohol abuse, saying notably, "Just name a hero and I'll prove he's a bum."

The blogger wondered, "have our Washington youth revised history so much as this? To compare Boyington ? or for that matter any of our WW2 vets ? to murderers? What are these kids being taught today? They don't deserve those 20 months Pappy spent being tortured and beaten in a Japanese prison camp ... they don't deserve any of what our grandfathers and grandmothers sacrificed to free Europe and the Pacific."

Boyington wrote a book in 1958 that reached the best-seller list, "Baa Baa, Black Sheep." In 1976, he sold rights to Universal, which aired a TV series for two seasons of the same name.

Boyington, who died Jan. 11, 1988, is buried in Arlington National Cemetery
http://www.wnd.com/news/printer-frie...TICLE_ID=48808
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2006, 07:02 PM

This is wehat some of the deer hunting sight said about this .
Hogbear
6 Point
Member # 4772

posted 02-19-2006 03:14 PM
As a former Blacksheep, maybe I can't be very objective about this, but I think these kids need their heads dunked in a bucket.
shootsme1
Spike
Member # 1985

posted 02-19-2006 05:03 PM
What the **** are we teaching kids in our colleges these days do they think the very freedom to speak how they feel was bought at walmart some times our next generation scares the devil out of me, God that makes me mad .
RUGER
Member # 327

posted 02-19-2006 05:28 PM
Wow dude, you were a blacksheep???

You are da man.

--------------------
www.thehuntbydmires.com
DEER ASSASSIN
16 Point
Member # 2981

posted 02-19-2006 05:40 PM

i am hot very hot the ought to send their a$$es to russia

"didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce."

my dad was a Marine grandaddy was WWII vet in the Army and i was in the Air Force

i guess UW wants a bunck of flag burning hippies for grads

--------------------
IF YOU CANT HANG EM ON THE WALL
HANG EM BETWEEN YOUR TEETH !!!!
TNTony
16 Point
Member # 1851

posted 02-19-2006 06:50 PM
If they don't want a Hero to represent their school, they must be wussies and so is their school. Nuff said.

--------------------
Ain't nuthing like country living!
Unicam
10 Point
Member # 955

posted 02-19-2006 07:06 PM
Thats what happened to that fine state when all the CA. liberals moved up there 15 years ago. People were selling their homes in CA. and moving to Wa. buying 2 and 3 homes for what they got for them in CA. People who lived there all their lives have been and are leaving...just to get away from the garbage these idiots serve up daily. I wish they had tried that at UT or MTSU...that would have been a good one.

Semper Fi Pappy, may your Legacy live with Chesty Pullers forever!!
Posts: 4943 | From: Buelaville, NC | Registered: Dec 2000 | IP: Logged

Tiny
12 Point
Member # 1862

posted 02-19-2006 08:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DEER ASSASSIN:

i am hot very hot the ought to send their a$$es to russia

Russia too good for em send thier sorry arshes to the Middle East.

Doesn't that area have a large group of Anarchist's?

--------------------
Have a Great Day and God Bless.

http://www.tndeer.com/ubb/NonCGI/ult...;f=29;t=002667
Old 02-19-2006, 07:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post It is a sad day!

It is a sad day when those of the "greatest generation" are not being honored.
Political Correctness equals censorship.

Keith
Old 02-19-2006, 08:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Agreed Keith,100% with that observation!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up SOME FACTS ON BOYINGTON

After reading the comments on Greggory (PAPPY) Boyington online at Patriotsfiles, I felt it essential that I add my two cents worth to clear the air!!

First off, Gregory Pappy Boyington was a lot of things in life, but no one can detract from the man himself!

No real man is just a celluloid hero. He has his good side and his bad side. Hell, a prime example of this analogy is Commander (r) Randy Duke Cunningham, the ex-congressman who was born 8 December 1941, in Los Angeles. One of only two aces (Navy) in Vietnam, he was awarded the Navy Cross, was a top gun, and yet slid into disrepute due to his shortcomings in later years!

These gross errors in judgment, however, still can not take away from what he accomplished before his slide from grace. The man was a genuine war hero (5 air victories in Vietnam in his F-4 Phantom), regardless of those who now seek to erase all of his good in favor of the bad, and granted, bad there was! How do I know - because I did a little writing for Cunningham in his initial run for congress against Jim Bates!

As for Boyington, granted this superb pilot liked his booze, the occasional brawl, and his women as well - SO WHAT? He made many honest attempts at drying out, and although I had no contact with him in his last few years, save for the month prior to his death from prostate cancer at the Nancy Hines Hospice in Fresno, I understand that he was getting his act back together.

He is credited with 28 kills, and not 26 I believe in the Pacific and with the Flying Tigers! Twenty-six kills (I believe ?) was Joe Foss' total.

Joe Foss, a friend of the Boyingtons, later became governor of one of the Dakotas and was a real gentleman himself. Guys like these are a lost breed. "The kind that always seems to be there in our time of need!"

I knew Pappy when we had side by side offices in Fresno, California back after 1977. I handled a VMF 214 belt buckle for him that depicted an F4U Corsair (Vought) in a dive. The top of the buckle read "PAPPY BOYINGTON", the bottom "Black Sheep #1."

Boyington was born on December 4, 1912 in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. He died on January 11, 1988 in Fresno, California of Prostate Cancer - he was 73 years old!

In a 1972 interview Pappy said it better than anyone else ever could: He said, and I quote: "I gave it hell while it lasted-----that's the history of my life. That everything good, bad or indifferent has to come to a screeching halt!"

If I had the means and authority to do so, I would dearly love to post the news clippings from the paper about his death, as well as his death announcement from the Chapel of Light (before being transported to Arlington), and my old contract with him. I would happily put them all on line for their historical/patriotic value.

"Pappy now belongs to us all and to the history of World War II, along with men like Murphy, Ehlers and Page, etc. "He was quite a guy, and I personally believe (in my opinion) that there is a little Boyington in us all!

If Dave can get with me, I will try to send him copies to reproduce on this site. They are standard publicity shots for the most part.

"The man (Boyington) was not perfect, far from it in fact, but then none of us are - You take the good with the bad!!" He was, however, without a doubt, a genuine American hero, faults and all!

If there is a bottom line to Boyington's life, in my opinion it would read like this:

"I lived my life as a man, I may not have been always right, and I was not always wrong, but I was always a man!"

"Miss ya Pappy!"

VERITAS
Old 02-22-2006, 07:16 AM

I'm glad I'm not perfect.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"