The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1/10 cav

Around the first of Dec 1967 My unit was working with some Cav unit heading up north, We were riding in there Chopper convoy (C-A) when there lead chopper gets hit and goes down. There was about 15 or so hueys in the convoy full of troops, I don't remember just what we were doing in the area, but I would guess we were looking for NVA? We all headed for the ground rather abruptly as a nother huey was hit, Have you ever been in a huey when it is taking hits, It doesn't sound good at all, The sky was filled with tracers going up and down, We finally got on the ground and got away from the huey, Now there was this very large firefight, Guys were shooting in all directions, I couldn't see any VC/NVA, but the distinct sound of AKs was everywhere, and the Boop, Boop, Boop, Boop of the 51 cal scared the hell out of me. Flare ships showed up. along with puff. This thing turned into some big operation that the cav lost alot of hueys, On one of the resupply runs that they got for food and ammo we were orderd out, This is not where we were to be, We were on our own mission and the cav would have to make it without us. Nearest I can remember it was somewhere just north of where the 101st found Hamberger hill, anyway we left and went north to a big open area where we got off. and watched the C-130 show all night. Next morning we walked north again, I remember because I remarked that we are just south of Hanoi (I think ).

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Did you ever noitice how

Those green tracers would just seem to slowly float up to you then when they hit the airframe of the chopper it was like a rapid fire woodpecker on tin. Same with the red tracers going back down it was just like you were waving a hose up and down. Then when they hit the ground they would go every which way. Went down in three choppers, one to ground fire, one to mechanical failure and one to pilot stupidity. first two were slicks the third was an Oh-6.