The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Medieval

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2003, 05:56 PM

Talking Andy

Tuchman's book on WWI was the "Guns of August." Another one by her I highly reccomend is "Stillwell and the American Experience in China". Vinager Joe got stuck in a hell of a spot by Gen Marshall because Stilwell had the gualities needed. :cl:
Old 05-20-2003, 06:57 PM

That simple "hello" sure went all over history . Medieval history is fascinating . ( I was going to say something profound and couldn't remember how to spell midyevil .... mediveal.. to hell with it , middle ages.

Seriously , Ronald McNair Scott has an excellent biography of Robert the Bruce . Another view of William Wallace and Edward the Long Shanks.

Bill
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:07 PM

I see you folks know more about this era then I do. I just know who begat who and why they, some of them, didn't live very long. Gets really interesting if you know more about them then that. Mostly family stuff is all I know. How many kids and who married who etc.....and who was 2nd cousin twice removed .....

Ever wonder why the "Cousin" was the usual tiltle for other rulers...unfortunetly I can probably tell you...the rest is just .....well, most of them would scare the bejebbers out of you if you met them in a dark alley....

Read a real good one about Robert The Bruce and what was basically a family (more then one) fight....Burke's peerage actually...if interested I can give you the website.

Obviously you take the dedication to military history seriously.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:49 PM

I've often been asked by my kids, if I could meet anyone who ever lived who would it be and why? My answer has always been Elizabeth I, aka The Virgin Queen. This was a woman centuries ahead of her time. Too bad she received horrible military advice from her "advisors". As a ruler, she did more to advance the state of the common family in England than any King ever had. Okay, so she hated us Catholics, but she had just cause. Her sister Mary and the priests held her in very little regard and tried to have her killed. All because her father Henry VIII abolished the church, divorced a few wives, banished one to the tower and beheaded one or two others. Should that have been the fault of a child who was born to a woman who was not his first wife? Doesnt the bible say, Visit not the sins of the Father upon the son?
Long before the 19th Ammendment in this country, Elizabeth was a woman of power and did not sit quietly in the corner while the "menfolk" tended to the affairs of state. It is most unfortunate that she died childless. Though some would argue that she was hardly a virgin. Go Lizzy!
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 12-13-2003, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Okay, all of you...

...well-read folks...

What's the true scoop on Joan d'Arc?

They couldn't pin a heresy rap on her, so they burned her for wearing men's clothes?

Is that true?

Airborne! Steve / 82Rigger

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 12-13-2003, 02:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Joan?

Joan,

She was convicted of heresy. I believe that wearing of men's clothing and leading men in battle was the heresy. She was tried by the British and not the French. She was 13 when she got permission to lead the French in Battle. (I find that amazing in itself, 13). The French were being beaten into submission by the Brits and France could have easily become a colony of England if not for the exploits of Joan. Burned at the stake when she was 19 and caught by the British. Eventually became a Saint. I don't know the reasoning behind Sainthood because she was a Warrior.

Anyway that's about all I know. Andy will probably come up with something. He's much better versed in Medival History than I.

Keith
Old 12-13-2003, 05:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I would assume...

...that the Sainthood had to do with the visions she had.

Because she was burned, I would guess that the Church has no relics.

I'll do some searching online and see if I can find anything on the Church's evidence for Beatification.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 12-13-2003, 06:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Did anyone see the most recent Joan of Arc movie ? Can't think of the actress or name of it, but I do remember the battle scenes. Very realiistic I thought.

Larry
Old 12-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Joan's Relics

I found some interesting stuff.

There are three categories of Saints' relics:

First Class - part of a Saint's body

Second Class - something that the Saint possessed and used

Third Class - something that the Saint is known to have touched or made physical contact with.

There are no relics from Joan's burning. Immediately after her burning the Earl of Winchester ordered that her ashes and remains be consigned to the Seine river. I guess he figured "no relics = no martyr".
The only known first class relic is one of her hairs which she attached to the wax seal of one of her letters. Its location is unknown.

A number articles of Joan's clothing (second class relics) were tossed into bonfires during the French Revolution. God knows why... mob rage I guess.

There are nine surviving letters which bear her signature, as well as a number of other third class relics.

A topic of great controversy is the location of Joan's armor. It is felt by experts that its authenticity could be readily confirmed, as the injuries she sustained in battle are well documented.
Best prospects for its location are Burgundy in France and Luxembourg.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 12-13-2003, 06:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default "The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc"

GREAT movie!!!

Milla Jovovich played Joan.

Steve / 82Rigger