The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Gulf War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2003, 06:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane
Default Stop over in Madrid

My wife and I were cleaning out the bookshelf, preparing to take some old books to the donation center and we came across an old paperback that I picked up on my way to Saudi for ODS...

We left the land of the big PX and had a seven hour lay over in Madrid, Spain before we proceeded to the Big Sandbox. At this Air Base (or Reg. Aipcomplex, still unsure) they had this huge hangar that had a tv watching lounge (area) with comfy chairs and a couch, rows and rows of cots for incoming troops to nap on, a small little nicknack store, showers and a library (if you can call it that). You could take a book with you, free. I remembered I looked over those books and finally came across one, "Cosmic Bandito's". I enjoyed that book so much that it never left my side, my little comfort blanket so to say.

It traveled from Spain to Saudi to Iraq to Germany and to Fort Rucker. I just couldnt let that book go...some sentimental strings with it I guess.

Anybody else hit the Hangar in Madrid before playing in the sandbox? Man, I can remember a bunch of stupid stuff, huh? Don't mean to ramble. Til next time, haha!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2003, 03:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

My unit went from Altus AFB, to New Jersey to Madrid, to Saudi. Only had about a twp hour lay-over in Madrid and it was like 0 dark thirty. We flew on a C-141 so we were all just walking around and stretching a bit. 39 hours in the air, never want to do that again!

Any chance of going to war on a Concorde?

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:29 PM

My unit left from Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio on a Pan Am 747.I guess that 24 hour flight wasn't THAT bad.We layed over in New York and someplace in Italy but both were small don't even think of getting out of your seat lay overs.We came back and when we landed in New York we got to get off and roam about the secured area of the terminal.No one seemed to even notice the automatic weapons on our back....it is New York.I did take one small item from WPAFB with me that I still have.....a film container of dirt.I knew I wouldn't see actual dirt in some time so I took some USA with me.

John
Old 04-22-2003, 08:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Thumbs up

I remember arriving in the little Airport of Loring Maine coming back from Zaragoza AB ,Spain And being welcomed by the Chamber of Commerce and other Civic groups who were proud to be the First to welcome us back to the American Shores from Desert Storm ,they were really nice with doughnuts and Coffee at O'dark thirty in the Morning then when we landed at Dover AFB they had a big Hanger set up with phones, Big Screen TV lots of Sofa's and recliners and we had a 12 hr. lay over to make good use of the Sofa's and chairs