The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Varmint hunters question and answer

Another site I read and post on is www.varminthunter.org. A question came up as to a load book for a person just starting to load ammo. The general answer was a Lyman load book. I wrote this answer.

The sierra load book has a ton of technical information that will help you in making some technical decisions. You probably won't understand 90% of it until you have been reloading for some time then the light will click on and the revelation "OH, thats what they meant" The 10% you do understand will help you through 90% of your loading. The 10% of your loading that is not covered by any of the books or understanding will be answered by someone on this site 90% of the time. Avoid the last 10% because it probably dosen't apply to any load you are working on. If you grinned after reading this you will do OK.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2004, 04:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Sid,

I'm getting ready to go up to the Northeast Corner of the State for White Tail season.

I have about 50 pieces of bass that need reloading. I generally let a friend reload them for me, but he passed away this past year.

What numbers would you suggest for a good load for a 30-06
150 gr. for deer. I've always used 150 gr. for deer.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Keith, a couple of questions

1. Is the brass military or civilian?
2. Being shot in a semi auto or bolt/singleshot.

Start at 59.5 grains of Reloader 19 up to a max load of 61.5 grains. Reduce by 1 grain if military brass THIS IS IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER, military brass is heavier construction than civilian brass and therefore has a smaller case volume. Equal amounts of powder produce higher gas pressure in military brass. Brass trim length is 2.494. I use federal match primers, in the 06 it would be the federal 215M. A load of 61.0 grains should give you right at 3000 fps and 2997 ft lbs of energy. If you are shooting in a semi auto you need a crimp, I suggest a taper crimp. a crimp requires a bullet with a crimp groove. A bolt or single shot can be fired without a crimp and can use a bullet without a crimp groove.

Not knowing what the chamber throat is I would seat the bullet to the standard length of 3.340 overall length (OAL).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Answers to your questions.

1. Civilian
2. Bolt Action 1903 - A3 Sporterized 3x - 9x Scope, Bishop Stock, glass bedded. I usually shoot a 1 1/2 to 3" groups at 200 yds. The deer and elk gun I've had since I was 20.

Duke Sidebottom my old gunsmith and reloader friend had this stuck on the side of one of the old boxes.

30-06 150 gr SP
powder 760 grs. 54.0
primer cci
velocity 2900

I used this for about ten years, seems to work, but I figured since "Duke" passed away I'm going to have to find another reloader to do my reloading.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Send me 20 rds of brass

I'll pm you with my addy.
Old 11-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

stupid questions.. bear with me..

how much money do u save by reloading..

is there much danger involved if you are new at this ?

thanks

larry
Old 11-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Unless you shoot a lot

You really don't save any money by reloading or the savings are very small. If you shoot lots of bullets then reloading is a large savings. What you do get is much more accurate ammunition that is sort of tuned to your rifle or pistol. There is minimal danger as long as you follow the rules. The most sensitive part of reloading is seating a new primer in the brass.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:13 PM
Doc.2/47

50 pieces of bass?You been fishin with grenades agin Keith?

Sid,
I mostly use the Sierra manual with it's full(I think)multitude of suppliments.I think though that haveing as many diferent manuals as posible is a big advantage as it allows you to compare the diferent results obtained in each (usually as a result of useing diferent cases,primers,etc. as standard for their load development.Also diferences in testing eqip.)and in diferences listed in max. load for a given powder.

Keith,
Do you use that same 150Gr. bullet for elk?I've never hunted elk but I've often heard that the 180Gr. bullet was prefered for them in .30-'06.If so, does it work OK for you?Just curious.