The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The oldest one in the room

The oldest one in the room

I guess I always think of myself as the youngest and the smallest. I was born on the cutoff date for school, a day later and I?d have been a year behind. I was always the youngest and one of the smallest in the class of ?66.I enlisted in the Army a few months after I turned 17. That made me one of the youngest soldiers throughout my enlistment. I landed in Vietnam a few months after I turned 18, making me one of the youngest GIs there. I still wasn?t old enough vote or drink alcohol in my home state when I ETSed. I grew up in a generation that valued youth above everything else (?never trust anyone over 30?) (I still don?t) I still think of myself mentally as about 30 and I try to stay in some kind of shape that reflects that.
Nowadays, sometimes when I look in the mirror, I wonder: ?who IS that old fart looking back at me??? I guess its happening to all other Vietnam Veterans, too: Once we were cutting edge, the forefront, our problems and attitudes were paramount, we were the wave makers. Now I?m starting to look like Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men.
Live with it, James, it?s the New You.
Ever notice how your ears and nose keep growing after the rest of the body stops? Too bad it isn?t so for the rest of your appendages.
Never felt so old as this weekend, I was taking the NFPA course for volunteer fireman.
I always sorta wanted to be a fireman or a cop but I elected in stead for a more glitz and glamour career like Building contractor. Well I was home at nights and the money was a lot better. And I didn?t have to shoot anybody or get shot at--you gotta pay me some REAL money to do that, you only get once for patriotism..
But I?ve always admired cops and firemen, they are some real every day heroes, in my book. I guess I always wanted to see how I would do up against the Big Tests, that?s why I went through jump school, Jungle School ,Recondo school and volunteered for Vietnam the day I turned 18.
So when I moved to Brownsville, one of the first things I did was join the Volunteer Fire Department. The BFD (funny,. Eh?) is ALL volunteer, except for the chief gets paid. I figured it would be a good way to get to know some good people quick and if I expected them to come up to The Lazy J if I had a fire, I should help with their houses if they were on fire.
So now we see the ol lrrp slouching into the room, with his usual sleazy grin, looking for the babes and thinking with his usual dash and ?lan: ?Holy Sh-t!! What have I got myself into??AGAIN???.
Walked into the class and?you guessed it?was the oldest one in the room. Even most of the instructors were old enough to be my kids.. Here?s a room full of young stud bodybuilder types and here?s the old lrrp slouching into the room thinking: ?I?m in this with children!? But they?re sure no children, they?re all older than I was when I was a lrrp
When am I gonna admit how old Ive gotten to be? Probably not even on my death bed (?But I?m so young!?)
Well, I sure looked my age in the face. Part of the trainingis class and part is exercise?and I do mean EXERCISE! They have some training towers and you do exercises through them, search and rescue yesterday. Crawling into a jumbled room dressed in that heavy turnout gear, mask and Air tank on with the hood pulled over my mask so I couldn??t see. (The exercises were blind)
Completely missed the 2 child dummies in the first exercise, although I searched the room twice (they were in a cupboard) The 2d time I found the 175lb dummy but got lost, dragged it around the room about 3 times before my partner found t the door (there was furniture scattered around) It was in the 80s and I was about to pass out and the only thing that kept me going?I am NOT making this up--was thinking: Goddam it, if Ron can do this, I can do it. Ive said before youre an inspiration, Ron we did these things twice, in one afternoon.
I was about at the fullest extension of my strength, though, right up against the edge and wouldn?t have made it out without my partner. Just like Vietnam.
I guess that?s what I really showed up to prove to myself?that I can still take it?and give it. And when I was there I realized what I liked about the Army, the paratroops, the lrrps, what I like about patriotfiles:. I?m in the company of heroes. And this is where you prove it.
There?s nothing like going up against adversity, life and death issues, to bring people together in a way like nothing else. I guess that was one of the things I;m nostalgic for the most about the Army (funny, hehehe, never thought I?d say that) That minute where youre looking death and destruction right in the face and you look at your pals and say: ?Boys: it?s Showtime!!? That time where the moment gets bigger than your fears and you stand and deliver (in this case, crawl and deliver)
I never think of myself as a hero, know my own mind too well?but it?s been my privilege to know a lot of them and hang in their company. It?s the best feeling in my life.
It makes the old fart in the mirror easier to look at

Stay good, all
James
Old 06-13-2005, 06:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Damn you write well , James. At the reunion I must have looked at 50 scrap books of pictures , no matter what the year though the pictures all had very young , skinny people in them. Not many single shots of people but usually a group. In talking with them now you will find very few that think they were a hero but they can tell you two others , or more , that they served with in that group that were real heros. My Doc thinks I saved his life one day , the same day I put him in for a Silver Star. We are getting old but there is a bond there that can never be broken. I know who that old fart is who is looking back at me in the mirror and most days smile at him and give him a thumbs up.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Tests

when you do make it through those test you become a little closer to those that made it through before you, just because you know what they went through.
And when your time comes to shine you will, brightly.
When that bell rings you can use my line. "Its Showtime" call my number and watch me shine.

Ron
Old 06-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James
The one thing you have, that most of these young-uns dont have is prior military training which is gonna show these kids what a real man is made of.
There was a comedian who once said "Being a cop isnt that bad....Most of the time its boring, but every once in awhile you get to kill someone" Thats the way it is being (my favorite title) a public servent
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 06-13-2005, 06:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Good for you James..don't forget to take some pics..don't overdo it !

Larry
Old 06-13-2005, 06:30 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

It`s all about the way you feel,James,and not about that old guy looking back at you in the mirror.It`s really great that you look to Ron and what he does for inspiration.We did that then,and we continue to do so.This is a very cool thing...inspiring each other,still.I`ll look to you now for some git-up-and-go,as I do Keith and Ron and Tom,and so many others as I climb aboard my mountain bike and head up the trail every morning.Thank you!
Grumpy OLD Griz

Peace,Griz
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Griz I'm getting a new Mt Bike for fathers day don't know which brand but Nick and my wife are sharing the cost. can't wait to see it. and a question for sid what do you think about a Vulcan 1500 drifter?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Chris , Sid is on his way to New Mexico to haul back a back Hoe ( we are leaving the front hoe there )He bought a Vulcan 1500 last year and loves it. Water cooled and shaft drive , 1/2 what a Harley would cost ya
Old 06-14-2005, 05:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by b3196 James
The one thing you have, that most of these young-uns dont have is prior military training which if gonna show these kids what a real man is made of.
There was a comedian who once said "Being a cop isnt that bad....Most of the time its boring, but every once in awhile you get to kill someone" Thats the way it is being (my favorite title) a public servent
Bob K

Well, actually, 3 out of 17 guys were Iraqi veterans in the infantry in ther OR unit that went there,(I don't kow the number of the unit) The Iraq war is giving America a whole new crop of Psycovets.
This was one of the favorite parts of the day, talking to these guys, trying to understand what was going on there. This is the first time Ive evcver had a long extended conversation with several Iraqi vets at once
Thats part of it--birds of a feather flock together. Of Course the type of guy who voluntreers for the infantry (like self) is going to be the type who volunteers for the fire dept. We don't show up for the money but for the danger. The three of them and one of me made almost 25% of the class combat veterans.
Thats why the feelings so good--in the company of heroes--when they take you as an equal--even if you are an old fart
Stay good, all
James

PS John: get Sid to drive that backhoe out here I could use it
Old 06-14-2005, 07:16 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Doing it

James,
Volunteering to help others can sure give you a great feeling. Plus, in the public service community there is that occasional adrenalin rush that many of us came to love while in Vietnam. I take my hat off to you for giving up you time and potentially putting yourself in harms way. And don?t worry about the old guy in the mirror. I can sell you some canvas once owned by Dorian Gray

John, what you said rings so true. Everyone knows a hero but no one was one. Unless your at a Legion Hall and someone who was armed with a semi-automatic typewriter and a P-38 starts telling war stories.

Stay healthy,
Andy