Old 08-26-2003, 06:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Muzzle Velocity?

Another ignoramus series of questions from a fly guy:

- If muzzle velocity is the speed at which a projectile comes out of a barrel:

> How is it calculated?
> Does rifling or the absence thereof increase or decrease it?
> Do the BIG shipboard guns have rifling?
> What are the factors that govern muzzle velocity?
> Does mv change depending on the type, size, charge, shape etc. of projectile?
> On a weapon, such as machine gun, is muzzle velocity constant?
> Does an increase in muzzle velocity equate with an increase in effectiveness for any given round?
> Is mv decreased by an increase in the angle at which (e.g. a mortar or artillery weapon) the round is launched?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default All of these questions can be answered

In about 1 minute, with understanding of answers, about 5 years of math and physics.
1. Resultant MV is calculated in Feet or meters per second.
2. Rifiling does not affect MV, Rifiling spins and therefore stabalizes the projectile.
3. Yes, Most all modern guns have rifiling, notable exceptions are some tank guns (defer to DMZ-LT).
4. Factors that affect MV are gas pressure behind the projectile, Projectile ballistic coefficient.
5. Yes.
6. Yes, up to a point at which the barrel heats up and expands to much to maintain a good gas seal behind the projectile.
7. No.

Bluehawk, I do not mind answering questions with a military background but most of these are questions that any person can obtain answers to by having gone to any high school science class or just sitting down and thinking about the question and going to the library and finding the answer. About the only question that I can think of that has any military merit is one you did not ask, Why are some guns rifiled and some smoothbore? Just one more question? ARE YOU REALLY THIS STUPID OR ARE YOU JUST 12 YEARS OLD???
Old 08-26-2003, 11:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Pho -

Well, I flunked math a number of times and ways, and, I know for sure there is a huge difference between what works on paper and what happens in combat.

Didn't intend to show stupidity. I'm 57 years old.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default APOLOGY TO BLUEHAWK

Bluehawk, I apologise for MY STUPID remarks to you. I have for some reason forgotten a lot of things this last two weeks and have been angry a everyone I have been near. I got mad in group therapy this week and perceived that a person called me a liar. I suggested that he apologise and shake my hand or take a swing, I didn't care which. Sometimes this PTSD is really hard to deal with. Please do not let my stupidity stop you from asking questions. When I get like this my wife looks at me and says YES SIR YOUR CAPTAINESS, I know then I have crossed the line.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Sid,

Sid,

It has been frustrating for most of us that last few weeks and especially those who knew Frank personally. Losing a dear friend can be frustrating. We'll get through this all together.

I was a gun nut as a kid in high school. I studied ballistics tables and knew quite a bit about guns for a kid. So it comes naturally to me to have a basic understanding of guns. I am always amazed that their are those who know little or nothing about weapons and some of them are very bright and intelligent people, it just wasn't their thing. I have people asking me these "dumb" questions ever so often, yet I know they are very smart.

That was really big of you to apologize. Only really big men can apologize. Thank you FRIEND!

Keith
Old 08-26-2003, 08:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Keith's right Sid... I didn't take offense because I KNOW how incredibly basic these questions you all patiently answer truly are, to most of you.

I try to hang in there with them though, seems important for people like me to gain understanding of what our fighters actually do, what they're up against, what they work with day in and day out... wherever they get sent.

I learn a lot from you.

Thanks, no apology necessary.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

A good friend, who knows me well , always tells me " Play well with the others " when we part. I have had to tell myself this every morning for the last few weeks. Often it is those who I love that are around me when the rage escapes. Glad to see we are playing well with the others on this site. Respect and joy.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:25 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Good job,John.But in all honesty,I`m somewhat amazed that you can continue to maintain through,what seems to this observer anyway,pure unadulterated,bullshit!

Peace,Griz
Old 08-28-2003, 08:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Griz -

Why do you think so? Honest and sincere question...