The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Default Waterloo

David Frum, former speechwriter to President George W. Bush:

Conservatives and Republicans today suffered their most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s.

It’s hard to exaggerate the magnitude of the disaster. Conservatives may cheer themselves that they’ll compensate for today’s expected vote with a big win in the November 2010 elections. [...]

No illusions please: This bill will not be repealed. Even if Republicans scored a 1994 style landslide in November, how many votes could we muster to re-open the “doughnut hole” and charge seniors more for prescription drugs? How many votes to re-allow insurers to rescind policies when they discover a pre-existing condition? How many votes to banish 25 year olds from their parents’ insurance coverage? And even if the votes were there – would President Obama sign such a repeal?

We followed the most radical voices in the party and the movement, and they led us to abject and irreversible defeat. [...]

So today’s defeat for free-market economics and Republican values is a huge win for the conservative entertainment industry. Their listeners and viewers will now be even more enraged, even more frustrated, even more disappointed in everybody except the responsibility-free talkers on television and radio. For them, it’s mission accomplished. For the cause they purport to represent, it’s Waterloo all right: ours.

http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo

Last edited by jriley1349; 03-22-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added link to story
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Yep, your bill got through.

With a lot of special "deals" and the majority of the American people against it.

We've all heard what the Republicans have said about this bill.

We've all heard what the Democrats have said about it.

Time will tell.

Time will tell who the liars are.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Arrow Then again there are people like me

who read the bill and the changes as they came out and didn't wait for the vote to volunteer in the next election to do research, write opinion pieces (my opinion) and make phone calls.

I have plenty of time in the middle of my daily job seach.

Joy

Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Then again there are people like me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
who read the bill and the changes as they came out and didn't wait for the vote to volunteer in the next election to do research, write opinion pieces (my opinion) and make phone calls.

And very worthy work that is, indeed.

ALL Americans should so task themselves.

However BEFORE a bill becomes enacted, the very best outcome of such effort is OPINION and ASSESSMENT.

Unless someone has a crystal ball, we cannot foresee RESULTS.

TIME will now produce RESULTS.

And RESULTS will tell the tale.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry

According to the final bill, health care will be partially paid for by increases in social security taxes (isn't this supposed to pay for our social security) and savings in medicare and medicaid.

Medicare is already close to broke and new taxes will be assessed to cover the new patients.

Medicaid will cover millions of new people who will have leins put on their estates. When they die, the states will take the estate. You can buy back what you can afford but it won't be cheap.

At 2,000+ pages, there are more things I don't like including lack of protection for those who are seriously against killing unborn children being forced to perform abortions and all the new government pieces.

Joy

Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Lightbulb

AEI Says Goodbye

March 25th, 2010 at 2:49 pm by David Frum | 52 Comments |

I have been a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute since 2003. At lunch today, AEI President Arthur Brooks and I came to a termination of that relationship.
Below is the text of my letter of resignation.
Dear Arthur,
This will memorialize our conversation at lunch today. Effective immediately, my position as a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute is terminated. I appreciate the consideration that delays my emptying of my office until after my return from travel next week. Premises will be vacated no later than April 9.
I have had many fruitful years at the American Enterprise Institute, and I do regret this abrupt and unexpected conclusion of our relationship.
Very truly yours,

David Frum

http://www.frumforum.com/aei-says-goodbye

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Never in US History has the IRS become the bill collectors for a private entity. Now they collect for the big insurance companies, who love this bill, no matter what you may have heard to the contrary. My son is a full time driver for Pizza Hut and has Type 1 diabetes. He cannot get health insurance because only the managers get it. He cannot afford health insurance on his own and probably cannot get it anyway because of the diabetes. This bill does squat for him, except turn the IRS loose on him ( I worked for them for 32 years ). How many other folks are in his situation ?????
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy

Lots of people will not buy health insurance because they can't afford it or they, like your son, have a pre-existing condition.

The ones, like your son, that work will file income taxes. The money that could otherwise be given to him for being "working poor" will be taken to pay the fine for not having insurance that he could not get.

Joy

Tags
waterloo frum defeat gop