Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2002, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: A recruiter saved my son

Quote:
Originally posted by PHO127
He has now been in the army 11 years and is on the E7 primary zone. has served in Italy, Africa, Korea, Made the 50th aniversary jump at Normandy (I am soooo jealous) served on the presidential body guard detail with the secret service and with the JPRC. Phillip is due home this October 10 and is being assigned to SFOD. (Special Forces operations Delta).
Sounds like you have a real kickass son. Airborne!!

James
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2002, 07:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Same same

Was getting drafted so I went to a recruiter. He told me that the only way Airborne was "guarenteed" was to take another year. Imagine my surprise in Basic when the Airborne guys showed up to get volunteers. My butt started hurting then, and didn't quit until I ETSed.

Happy to have blasted from the big assed bird!

Airborne!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 09-03-2002, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Early 70's I was a Basic Training Company Commander , after bitnam. C-18 -5, Ft. Knox, KY. Every cycle had at least two guys who had notes from their recruiters asking that they please be sent to " radio school " " Truck driver school " etc. The field first would usually ask to see the note and then eat it in front of the troop and tell him he was going to Benning for AIT just like everyone else !
Old 09-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Recruiters serving chow

Just after Phillip enlisted I received a letter from the recruiting command inviting me to a military meal served at Ft. Gillam to see how the army food is. When I got there with Phillip we went to an old armory building with lots of kids runnung around throwing basketballs. Pretty soon a Ms Winners fried chicken catering truck pulled up and the recruiters ( a couple of E7s and an E6) started to unload it and set up a serving line. I walked over to the recruiting 1sgt and asked what was the matter? didn't the recruiters know how to form up a detail from the enlistees? Just then a 1lt came over and we watched as the recruiters started serving chow. I looked at the 1lt and told him it was a good thing that I wasn't on active duty because if I came in and found my NCOs serving chow to enlistees I would have jacked him and the top to the roof of the building. They told me that they couldn't "scare the enlistees or they may quit" Lost my appetite. Later found out the 1sgt had been a recruiter in Atlanta for 19 years. Never been assigned anywhere else.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Thumbs down

Private Benjamin signing on for the recruiter's lying school. My recruiter told me in his effforts to make his female quota in the 70's when the draft was done away with when Vietnam was winding down that I could have my kids...no problem and that it would be just like a regular job after basic training, no hassles, I could finish my college... blah blah blah blah blah blah. What a secure future for me and my kids, health insurance security blah blah blah blah blah blah. From the time I reached my AIT all that mean SOB Bollers Chief could say was sign yourself out on a general or give up your kids and smacked me on holdover status and solitary confinement and daily rations of mind enhancement at his office unless I complied, frequent trips for my phoney trumped up medical review board and finally a honorable discharge that violated my 5th Ammendment rights because I wouldn't sign his general and give up my kids. Anything to sign on the dotted line to get their quota. Sorry...no love of recruiters but learned if it's not in writing from the government it didn't and doesn't happen. Talk is cheap.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My issue was that the Navy fulfilled its promises to the letter and there were no ?got ya? deals at all. I signed up for specific schools, got them, a specific class of ship, got it, specific fleets; 1st and 7th,got them. So what?s the rub one might ask? Simple, one should be careful what they ask for they just very well might get it. I got a brand new Cruiser, the most high-tech Cruiser in the world at the time. Name it and it had it, even the basis of today?s Aegis capability (Then called NTDS for Navy Tactical Data System).

But what I didn?t know was that the role of a Cruiser had changed from that of a traditional and historic role of scout/independent operator to that of the carrier battle group command ship. In essence, our role was to command the carrier screen. Anti air, anti sub and anti surface was the mission and the command ship got the Admiral complete with more Marines; as if we didn?t have enough already, band and staff.

Navy tradition, pomp, ceremony and all that isn?t bad once in a while but when it?s every day it?s enough to drive a person out of their frigging tree. Add to that wee the fast-track junior USNA Officers trying to make a name and life gets annoying and what one is supposed to be doing gets all dissolved by the real situation at hand. Port offered no relief as there was always a procession of dignitaries coming and going and the Admiral?s wife was forever all fluff and feathers about our moral turpitude. Aarrgg!

Then things heated up in VN and the real need was for the thick-hided, gun-rich Destroyers and Cruisers of the WWII era. Being single and in a critical rating put me at the top of the list to transfer out and that?s exactly what happened. I wasted not a moment getting my kit together and on my way to Pearl to catch up with one of those time-worn pirate ships. What a blessing, indeed. For sure, the good Lord does look out after fools and the ignorant and I?m living evidence of that.

Scamp
:ek: :cd:
Old 09-03-2002, 09:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up PHILLIP

Sid, glad he got back on the right track. The 50th Anniversary Normandy Jump! How coool would that be?!?! I, too, am jealous. When you see or speak to your son, please tell him, from all of us here, how grateful we are for his continued service to his country. We sure as Hell didn't hear it enough. My son has been out for several years now. Only did one 4yr. hitch. For most of us, that's enough.

James, see you tomorrow for breakfast. Bring money .

AIRBORNE, BOYS!!