Old 04-28-2002, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default My Great Grand Father

Keith_Hixson

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 06-09-2001 at 19:01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Francis Marion Harrison served in Company B 10th Regiment Illinois Volunteers from
August 18, 1861 to July 4, 1865.

I don't know much about the 10th Illinois. Maybe some other Civil War Buff could fill me in.

Went from private to sergeant.

Keith

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 06-09-2001 at 21:53
Keith, according to this organization chart, those guys moved around a lot, or at least on paper.

chilidog

10th REGIMENT INFANTRY, 3 YEARS.?Org. at Cairo, Ill., July 29, 1861. July, 1861, Dist. Cairo. Oct., 1861, 1 Brig., Dist. Cairo. Feby., 1862, 4 Brig., 1 Div., Dist. Cairo. Feby., 1862, 1 Brig., 4 Div., Army Miss. April, 1862, 2 Brig., 1 Div., Army Miss. Sept., 1862, 2 Brig., 13 Div., Army Ohio. Nov., 1862, 1 Brig., 4 Div., Centre 14 Corps, Dept. Cumberland. Jany., 1863, 1 Brig., 4 Div., 14 Corps. June, 1863, 1 Brig., 2 Div., Reserve Corps, Cumberland. Oct., 1863, 1 Brig., 2 Div., 14 Corps. Aug., 1864, 3 Brig., 4 Div., 16 Corps, Tenn. Sept., 1864, 3 Brig., 1 Div., 17 Corps. Mustered out July 4, 1865.

Profile Email Qoute
Andy

Posted 07-09-2001 at 00:16
Chili you are amazing! What can you tell me about the 2nd New Hampshire??? No rush, when you have time. Thanks.

Stay healthy,
Andy

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 07-09-2001 at 00:16
Would this place them at Appomattox? At the end of the war? If I remember correctly my grandmother said he was there at the end. Of course my grandmother died at the age of 95 in 69, so its been 40 years or more since she told us about her father. We do have his official records but I really have never had the time to research the 10th and the battles it participated in.

Keith

Andy is correct you are amazing!

Profile Email Qoute
DMZ-LT

Registered to :Aug 27, 2001
Posted 07-09-2001 at 15:29
My GG grandfather fought in the 4th NJ Inf. His company was mostly potters from Trenton. I have a confederate sword he captured at the Wilderness

Profile Qoute
chilidog

Posted 07-09-2001 at 17:13
Yankees!!! Thar ever-whar. Ain't thar nuther Southern' blood amongst us'ns?

I appreciate all the accolades of amazing feat, but I must admit that it was the magic of a cd and a few mouse clicks.

Keith, he may have been at Appomattox, but but by just looking at the corps and armies that he was in, he spent most of his time in the western theatre. Did you notice what armies he was in? The South named their armies after states; the North named them after rivers. He was in the Army of the Mississippi during the battle of Shiloh, the Army of the Ohio, the Army of the Cumberland during the siege of Vicksburg, and the Army of the Tennessee during Sherman's infamous march to the sea. I haven't looked it up to confirm that those armies were definitely in those battles, but it was definitely their AOs. I don't remember exactly where the scoundrel Sherman went after he burnt Atlanta; maybe Tamaroa can step in here and say if he was at Appomattox.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Posted 07-09-2001 at 17:21
Andy, I am assuming that you mean the 2nd New Hampshire Inf. The 2nd NH Cav mustered in during Dec.63 and mustered out during Oct.65. They spent their time down here in Louisiana. The 2nd NH inf. spent most of their time in the Army of the Potomac. Here are the particulars.

2nd REGIMENT INFANTRY.?Org. at Portsmouth, May 31 to June 8, 1861. June, 1861, Burnside's Brig., Hunter's Div., McDowell's Army N. E. Va. Aug., 1861, Hooker's Brig. Div., Potomac. Oct., 1861, 1 Brig., Hooker's Div., Potomac. March, 1862, 1 Brig., 2 Div., 3 Corps, Potomac. Feby., 1863, New Hampshire. June, 1863, 3 Brig., 2 Div., 3 Corps, Potomac. July, 1863, Point Lookout, Md., Dist. St. Mary's. April, 1864, 2 Brig., 2 Div., 18 Corps, Dept. Va. and N.C. June, 1864, Provost Guard, 18 Corps. Aug., 1864, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 18 Corps. Oct., 1864, 3 Brig., 1 Div., 18 Corps. Dec., 1864, 3 Brig., 3 Div., 24 Corps. Aug., 1865, Dept. Va. Mustered out Dec. 19, 1865.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Posted 07-09-2001 at 17:28
DMZ-LT, There were 2 4th NJ inf's. One was the 90 day guys, and the other was the 3 year guys. If he was at the Wilderness, he was in the 3 year bunch. Interesting math; August 61-July 65 equals 3 years. Here's the scoop.

4th REGIMENT INFANTRY (3 MONTHS).?Org. at Trenton April 25, 1861. May, 1861, Runyon's N.J. Brig., Def. Washington. June, 1861, 1 Brig., Runyon's Res. Div., McDowell's Army, N. E. Va. Mustered out July 31, 1861.

4th REGIMENT INFANTRY (3 YEARS).? Org. at Trenton Aug. 9, 1861. Aug., 1861, Kearney's Brig., Div. Potomac. Get., 1861, Kearney's Brig., Franklin's Div., Potomac. March, 1862, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 1 Corps, Potomac. April, 1862, 1 Brig., 1 Div., Dept. Rappahannock. May, 1862, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 6 Corps, Potomac. July, 1864, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 6 Corps, Middle Mil. Div. Dec., 1864, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 6 Corps, Potomac. Mustered out July 9, 1865.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Posted 07-09-2001 at 18:02
Andy, here are a few links that I gleaned from a google search on the 2nd New Hampshire. Some of them look pretty good.

http://www.nps.gov/gett/soldierlife/2nhamp.htm
http://www.civilwararchive.com/unionnh.htm
http://users.erols.com/jreb/newhampshire.html
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nh/topic/civilwar/

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 07-09-2001 at 22:46
The Harrisons (our clan) began in Virginia. Some started moving West in the early 1800's. By the time of the Civil War they were "Westerners". More like Southerners in attitude but believed in the Union and weren't slave owners. Right after the war my great-great grandfather and great grandfather moved to Southern Idaho and Eastern Oregon. (At that time it was all untamed wilderness, much of it is still untamed where they homesteaded). Anyway, we is Westerners not Yankees.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 07-09-2001 at 22:49
Chilidog, those might be good to submit to the links page

Profile www Qoute
chilidog

Posted 07-09-2001 at 23:09
Keith,
During my raisin' in Texas (pronounced TAYK-ses), anybody north of Dallas was viewed as possible yankees and anybody north of Little Rock was certified.
It caught my eye that you mentioned that your family wasn't slave owners. In all of the family history research that my family has done, everybody was dirt-poor, and everybody that they knew was dirt-poor too. There wasn't a slave-owning population in the south large enough to man an army. Have you ever watched a kid take two dogs or two cats and push their faces together until they fight? I think that is what happened.

Don't take any of my "Tall-Texan" talk about yankees serious.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 08-09-2001 at 00:05
In the Army I related better to the Southern Guys than the big city kids. I was drafted I had a couple years of college. I went to college in the Los Angeles area. We had a couple of guys from NY in our company. They thought they were smarter and more sophisicated than the rest. In reality they were dumb "JerKs". I'm sure that if we went far enough back in Virginia History that my ancesters (Harrisons) probably were slave owners. On the Hixson side, we all came to New Jersey and moved west as the country expanded. NO slave owners in the Hixsons. But, both the Harrisons and the Hixsons were in the Civil War. Don't have much information on the Hixson side. But, Westerners really are different than Yankees. However, true westerners are hard to come by in Oregon, Washington, Nevada and California these days.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Posted 08-09-2001 at 08:14
Here are some sites that may help you with New Hampshire in the Civil War:

New Hampshire Heritage, 1861-1865
Study New Hampshire's involvement in the Civil War. Find historical accounts, genealogy resources, and profiles of the state's fighting units.
http://www.geocities.com/nh_heritage/

Civil War History - Politics in New Hampshire
Provides a review of Lex Renda's 1997 book entitled "Running on the Record: Civil War-era Politics in New Hampshire."
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

New Hampshire Division of Records Management & Archives
Supplies a guide to the holdings and services of this State division. Provides tips for Civil War, land title and genealogical research.
http://www.state.nh.us/state/index.html

New Hampshire Division of Records Mgt and Archives
State agency describes its holdings as well as records management activities. With guides to Civil War and land holdings research.
http://www.state.nh.us/state/

1st New Hampshire Volunteer Cavalry
Cavalry reenactment group offers a look at its commanding officers and details about its Civil War engagements. Also find a photo gallery.
http://adam.cheshire.net/~cavalrycpt/

WEB PAGES

History of Camp 10
09/01/2000; The SUV S. G. Griffin Camp #10 Keene, NH website has moved to: http://www.suvnhcamp10.iwarp.com/index.html Please updated your bookmarks and favorites files! Thanks, -Hal S. G. Griffin Camp 10 web site maintained by Hal G. Brown
http://www.top.mcttelecom.com/~prope

Civil War Rosters - New Hampshire
Civil War Rosters NEW HAMPSHIRE LINKS To add information (correct name, add soldier information, etc.) to these pages, please contact by email the webmaster of that unit page. Email addresses should be found on each page. Thanks. Civil War Newspap
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/3680/cw/cw-nh.html

New Hampshire Civil War History and Genealogy ALHN
The Civil War . . .A time that tore our nation apart, when brother fought against brother This site is an attempt to tell the story of the Men and Women from New Hampshire who served in the Civil War. While history books, period newspape
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/nh/topic/civilwar

Civil War Roundtable of New Hampshire
The Civil War Round Table of New Hampshire was founded in May of 1991, and is dedicated to all aspects of the Civil War: Education, Preservation and Restoration. The CWRTNH is a group of men and women who share a common interest in the WAR BETWEEN THE STATES.
http://www.greennet.net/users/jtlacl

Profile www Qoute
Tamaroa

Posted 08-09-2001 at 08:23
Sherman was no where near Appomattox. In fact he had been battling Johnston, Hood and Hardee up the coast of the Carolinas. Johnston surrender to Sherman in Durham, North Carolina, three weeks AFTER Appomattox.

Andy

Posted 08-09-2001 at 13:49
Chilidog and Tamaroa, thanks for the information and all the great sites. Some of the information you gave me dove-tails perfectly with things I've been told over the years. However, a couple pieces of info do not. Monday, I'll be visiting Mom. We'll have to look over the old and very large family bible (1870 edition). The investigation has begun!

Stay healthy,
Andy

Profile Email Qoute
DMZ-LT

Registered to :Aug 27, 2001
Posted 10-09-2001 at 09:40
Thanks Chili. Got a lot of his records. He was in the three year bunch .. a real fighting bunch - Captured at Gains Mill , paroled fought at Antietam, Fredericksburg , Wilderness , Petersburg, Cold Harbor and Appomattox. Company B was the potters company. He died at 90 in 1928 ... wish I could have talked to him / Thanks again

Profile Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 10-09-2001 at 16:22
I found a whole site dedicated to the 10th Illinois. Gives a detailed history of battles and losses. Sad part is the greatest losses came at the very end of the War chasing after Johnston. Well, my great grandfather made it or I wouldn't be writing this. The 10th seemed to be with Grant in the West and then with Sherman. Once I digest it all I'll be happy.

Keith_Hixson
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2002, 02:40 PM

Default 2nd New Hampshire Vol Inf

Hi Andy,

My great-great grandfather, Franklin K. Tucker, served with the 2nd New Hampshire Vol Infantry Co. C. He mustered in 06/01/1861. He was wounded and captured 7/21/1861 at the first Battle of Bull Run. They sent him to Libby Prison until 07/23/1861 when they transferred him to Parish Prison in New Orleans. He stayed there until 06/02/1862 when he was paroled at Washington North Carolina and sent to Camp Parole in Maryland. He was sent back to his unit on 07/03/1862. From there the unit fought 08/29 - 08/30/1862 the 2nd Battle of Bull Run then on the way to the Battle of Fredericksburg on 12/14/1862 he took a little side trip (went AWOL) and rejoined his unit on 12/16/1862. I guess he was tired, they dropped the formal AWOL charges. He continued with this unit until he was wounded again on 06/15/1864 at the Battle of Cold Harbor. He mustered out on 06/21/1865.

He lived in New Hampshire until he died in 1914.

You should read about the Battle of Cold Harbor Virginia, it was truly horrific.

Linda
Old 05-08-2002, 06:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy Cold Harbor

Soldiers wrote their names on rags and paper and pinned them to their backs , in the hopes of being identified after they advanced on entrenched infantry in mass. Sorta why I put one dog tag on my neck and wore one on my boot. My grand Dad was at Libby Prison too, for awhile!