The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default 26 weeks of hell only to become a 2LT

Was reading the posts on Basic training and got to recalling Artillery OCS at Ft. Sill Ok. Wonderfull place, for an artillery range.
The day we reported in at Robinson barracks there were 137 of us in class 7-67. 5 candidates dropped on the low crawl down the drainage ditch to the barracks because we were not good enough to be on the sidewalks. 26 weeks later we graduated a total class of 44, 27 of us started with the class. I remember Jarks on MB4 (I graduated Jark King with 235 miles in 6 months), Marching to Mess and eating a square meal, being charged with attempted murder by an upperclassman for laying my knife on the edge of my plate with the blade turned outward. Wifes and girlfriends making Mcdonalds runs. A Marine gunnery officer Cpt Wesley T. Youngblood. Bitter cold windy days on the OP. Taking our morning run through the ROTC camp. That proud day when we turned upperclass and could wear our low-quarters with the horseshoe taps. Endless hours of study to learn surveying, map reading, fire direction, gunnery, Tac Air support, combined arms and massed artillery fire. Nights spent cleaning polishing and waxing. ONLY TO BECOME A 2LT. Had already been airborne, went to SFQC. Pathfinder and Ranger, None came close to that 26 weeks at Robinson Barracks. This post is dedicated to Major William E. Adams FA my first cousin. Helicopter pilot, MOH (post-humous)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2002, 10:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

I think of your cousin more than I tell you - I am thankful for his service and saddened by his loss. I am thankful also that we both made it home 31 years ago and that we have today to tell of the past and remember. Don't write serious stuff till after lunch - makes my aid's fog up. Welcome home bro. !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 11:18 AM

Default Brings back memories.

I went through class 5/66. Remember the "Green Dot" parties? Those wonderful O/F shoots on the "Washboard"? Hitting the wall in Snow Hall every time an Officer or a Senior Candidate passed. "Laying the Battery" over at Cannon Park on Artillery Peices left over from WWI? I probably have as many miles on MB-4 if not more. LOL The one thing that stands out in my mind though, is the memory that we as OCS cadets could cash a personal check at establishments in Lawton that would not accept a check from an Officer.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:02 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default A kindred soul

A FA officer w/a CIB. and OCS grad. If B52 project Delta, Roadrunners, CCS SOG31 RT LIGHTNING and team 10 mean anything to you. We may have met in a former lifetime.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:53 AM

Default Know waht you're referring to but..

I was never with B-52 or SOG. I did know "Squirrel" Sprouse who you probably knew also. I was a team Co. with the 3d SFG at Ft. Bragg and was diverted from 5th Group by Hqs MACV as soon as I hit the 90th Replacement Det. I ended up in the Americal Division as an Infantry Company Commander. The Americal G-1 in his infinite wisdom, determined that a prefix 3 qualified FA officer was as good as a 1542 and saved FO's, as he could call in his own artillery. LOL
Old 07-25-2002, 09:35 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Served 23rd also I know...

what you mean. On 4th tour was expecting REMF job at Na Trang. Was sidetracked when was told they needed officers with cross border exp. for units crossing into Cambodia. went to 1/27 inf and became their arty LNO. when they stood down went to 23rd ID. When I reported in they sent me to the Divarty CO. I told him that I had never spent a day in an arty battery after OCS. He decided that I would be perfect to replace a battery Co that had been dusted off the day before. Went to a detached battery of 155 split tails in Khe Sahn supporting Lam Son 719. I fired support for DMZ-LT. Advanced to the rear to Vandergrift from Khe Sahn, Road marched from Vandergrift to Chu Lai. Came thru the Hy Van Pass sp? above Da Nang at dark in convoy, what a ride.

PS still have a 5th group coin.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Knew a guy

from home that went to Sill for OCS in 67'. His last name was Lange. Ring any bells? He was a friend of my brothers and his mom was my English teacher.

Just a shot in the dark.

Packy

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 07-25-2002, 11:31 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Paco, I sometimes suffer from CRS

Don't recall the name, I started OCS in Sept 66, Graduated in Mar 67. Turned Red in early 67 (upperclass) so unless he brought himself to my attention I probably would not know him.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:53 PM

Default I had orders in my hands for a REMF job

at Na Trang with Col. Lanter in the 5 shop. MACV said there was a "Critical Shortage" of company grade officers in the Americal. I like you was offered a battery by Divarty and gave them the same reply.....I hadn't seen a tube since OCS. The G-1 then sent me to the 11th LIB to join the 4th BN 3d Inf. I spent the next year touring the southern tier of I Corps........on foot! LOL
All in all I enjoyed the experience. Most of my soldiers were draftees and coming from a unit composed of 100% volunteers I was at first very apprehensive of their motivation. It turned out to be one of the best group of men I ever served with. They listened because their prime motivation was getting home alive and in one piece. Nobody was KIA on my watch.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:45 PM

Cool Horseshoe Taps

Sid, what was the meaning behind reaching a leval where you could have taps on your low quarters? Was it so the underclassmen could hear you coming and get ready for the mindf***ing?