The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Bandolier

A bandolier held 7 magazines, I carried 3 bandoliers, full.
I think I was the only one that didn't have to carry a 200 round belt for the Machine gunner.
Who had to carry stuff for other people?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Ron

Being Mech we had the luxury of having with us not bandoleers by cases of any kind of ammo we wanted. Course we did attract a whole lot of RPGs. On those occasions when we did walk we didn?t usually carry a rug sack. I?d carry 4 slings of 60 ammo, plus the assault bag attached to the gun. Also a .45 with 2 extra mags and a frag or two. We?d carry other things but that was it for ammo.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Never liked the bandolier thingie, so I carried my magazines in an old claymore bag, I could get to more ammo much faster than the bandolier method. On tour #2, I carried smoke grenades for signaling, and an extra battery for the PRC 77 for one of my RTO's.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-13-2005, 08:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Just about everybody carried belts of machine gun ammo except, like you, the RTO. The machine gunner or assistant carried an extra barrel for it. Many of us carried a Claymore and trip flares. A few carried smoke grenades. Like you, I carried 3-4 bandoliers and often a mag in each leg pocket and a couple of the shirt pockets. Alot of guys carried 3 canteens, but I opted for 2 to carry more ammo. I'd rather be thirsty than out of ammo.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I like to think we all humped 200 rounds for the 60 but from the reunion a guy sent my a picture of right before we got in a real big fight , and only me and the 60 guy were humping ammo , he had more than me. Loaded it with about 30 rounds on the links while humping it. I ramble , but loved to hear the 60.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Lord bless you guys, all our gear was carried in vehicles. I threw a bandolier over my shoulder when we were on the road so I wouldn't need to rumage around for another clip. And true to someones' law, since I had it I never needed it, and that's just fine with me.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default What I carried depended on

The mission, Basically I carried a Car 15 with 3 bandoliers of Mags and 2 taped mags in the rifle. From there on it depended on the specific mission and how long we were going to be out. Three canteens a couple of smokes, several of the small mini-grenades. sometimes a claymore if we were on a snatch mission. Rice balls with dried fish and fish sauce. radio batteries. We didn't carry a 60 so no belted ammo. Several field bandages and medical stuff. Minox 110 camera.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Just a bunch of accesories

When I was a rifleman in the 101st I carried boxes of MG ammo like everyone else. We usually kept them in boxes rather than Rambo style because it kept the belts clean and who wanted to get shot at while wearing ammo belts. LAter, as an RTO like Ron, I had to carry the radio and extra batteries so I only had my LBE full of mags (8) and a frag or 2.
But in the lrrps:I carried the LBE full, 2 mags taped together in the rifle 2 bandoliers of mags, a .45 with a couple of mags , a sawed off M79 with sights off and a bandolier of HE plus smoke and WP rounds, frags, Claymores, maybe a starlite, compass, first aid stuff, lrrp rations and 4 canteens. It was all business, we never carried letters from home or extra socks like the grunts did, we'd only be out for a few days.
Stay good
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg masthead_logo.jpg (7.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Socks?

You woosies wore SOCKS?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-21-2005, 05:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Socks ? Ain't wore underware in 34 years either , those wet spots dry up pretty quick