The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Hello to all.

Well I'm back on here, what a rocky "ride it has been" just about ready to tell the pilot
let Me off at the next stop, but guess I will hold on til the end.
Don't know if I told You, but suffered a blood clot in the right upper leg, had surgery in July
stint placed. So far all is good, just have to monitor My BP , and not miss taking the blood thinner. Now as far as the VA , and My claim status: Very long story, but I will try and
make it short: Initial claim Dec 08:
PTSD- deffered until May- decision made July 09 30% rating. PTSD- adjustment disorder
with chronic depressed, and anxious mood. (Asking for re-consideration), and increase
based upon severity, and additional evidence was sent forward.

Type II Diabetes granted 20% April 2008. CRSC (combat related special compensation)
granted Aug 01 2009.

Note*** CRSC for PTSD 30% rating was denied, reason: Could not find medical evidence
that PTSD is combat related??? DUH!
So I've re-submitted the necessary documents: Unit of assignment, duty MOS, Job titles,
awards, specifically My CIB, medical reports, the medical evidence , and decision letters
for the award of compensation from the VA.
Never was an expert with paperwork as it applies to the VA. I was actually surprised that
the PTSD decision was denied, especially after being granted CRSC for type II diabetes
combat related based on agent orange presumtive. ???

So this is where I Am right now. As I said filing a claim is fairly new to Me, I'm supported
by The Director of Veteran Affairs Shelby County, Tenn. When I got these ratings, and decisions back, He stated: We are re-submitting for increases, and reconsideration on the hearing loss denial, and hypertension. He , and My Doctor seem to think this is aggravated
by the PTSD, as it only started around 2003 about the same time I was really having big
issues battling PTSD. As far as the denial of hearing loss in the left ear, This si what
They have stated: According to pre-induction physical, Your medical records indicate that
You had a hearing loss in Your left ear, and is considered a pre-existing condition. Since Your Military medical records does not show that it is a worsening condition, therefore
the claim is denied. What a crock!! I can't find anywhere that said I had a hearing loss prior to being drafted, and My case is this: Medical records proves that a gradual hearing
loss began in 1976 which is in the same ear, at this time I was awarded a H3 hearing profile with the wearing of earplugs, no exposure to noises above 85db, with a mandatory
annual hearing exam. Mighty strange how the army never gave Me a profile up to this point,
and why was it not caught during the phisical exams of 1971, and 1975? My representative
said We will wait on a decision, and if not granted We will appeal Their decisions. Not asking for much, just My just due for what was service connected. I know it was a long thread, but had to explain all of this, so it doesn't sound like I'm just whining. Oh by the way I'm still waiting on 8 months of backpay for CRSC since July.
Take care all
Any advice would be appreciated, even to the point of let it go, "You can't win" You were right "whiteoak" it is going to be a battle!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

One other interesting point I must make. As You know as a Military retiree in receipt on VA compensation it is helf from You monthly retirement check , and given back as tax free. However 2 new programs did come into effect to prevent this. If it is less than 50%
and You can document combat related then They will pay You for the amount with held
called CRSC. Anything at 50% or higher falls under concurrent retirement receipt which basically means You will retain Your retirement, and They will pay You under this program.
So I did the math: Type II diabetes 20% PTSD 30% = 50% DING! wrong answer My overall rating is 40% total disability, and based on the severity of the claims????
That's that.
See Ya! Topp
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Ain't like you never been in a fight before Top. Go for it and don't take any prisoners !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Got that right "Brother" Don't mean nothing! Granddaddy said: When You see a good fight get in it!! We are moving right along with these issues. But seriously Lt. My health has really gone down in the past 2 or 3 years, so if I have any entitlements I want them as I prepare to quit working in the next 12 months.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Glad to hear from you Top. Keep up the good fight.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All the best !!

Larry