The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Just My humble opinion. It is what it is!!

As You know I respect each of You in the greatest way, and always will because this board is My only real outlet. Okay, just got off the phone with our wonderful VA representatives in the great State of Tenn. I'm still inquiring about the retro pay for CRSC
awarded to Me in July 2009 in the amount of 243.00. I'm told the payment is pending. Pending what? In other words in the process of posting to My account, and it just depends on when They decide hit the send button. I explained that I re-submitted evidence for
PTSD at 30% which would increase the amount to 601.00 so She accessed My records
and said this is still under review because the fact has not been established that the PTSD
is combat related. Well that conversation got a little heated. I guess I got it from a toilet seat, or is it not contatious. That gives Me more reasons to continue to battle these folks.
11B20 Infantryman+combat Infantryman badge+agent orange+ combat = PTSD in most cases. I have to remember I'm only one, just can't imagine how many other of My comrades
is dealing with this crap!! Now part II, I have a C&P exam on 3 Nov in Memphis at the VA
regional medical center. So before She or He start writing down how well groomed, and calm I was, I'm going to ask a couple of questions. 1. Do You know what a "grunt" is?
If the answer is no. Well that is too bad because I do! 2. I'm not here begging for a rating
for compensation, anyway what are They going to do? Take the percentage out of My retirement pay and give back to me as tax free, and call it compensation. Give me a break!!
3. What part of Veterans suffering from PTSD don't You people understand? This is not about Scott Gatewood. This is about veterans that have to fight for Their health, their rights, and not to mention the fact that what They have to deal with when dealing with the system.
I will tell whom ever the "head shrinker" is what is exactly on my mind, and what troubles Me, and other Vets. Whether They increase or decrease My disability for PTSD doesn't
even matter. Hell! I've got this far without any compensation as They call it. They just need to accept the fact that there is a problem, and quit trying to make things difficult.
Now I know all states is not the same, but I know that Tenn. has Their issues.
That is why I said please don't take this the wrong way, and I'm not complaining just stating the fact that the system is broke! Just can't be any clearer than that.
PS> is it just the tone of My voice or something else gives Them a reason to always give Me some crap!
I appreciate each of You )
Topp Gee
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

And besides that, what are They going to do? Bend My dog tags, and send Me to Viet Nam "DON'T MEAN NOTHIN BRO"
Old 10-22-2009, 08:38 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Hang in there Topp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trickortreaty.jpg (40.0 KB, 12 views)

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I will "Bro"
As the old "folks" say: If see a good fight , get in it.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I'm with you all the way, grunt! It took them six years to rule on my claim. My wife kept telling me to quit; it wasn't worth the anguish it was causing me, but I couldn't quit. It's not all about the money, it's about acknowledgement and validation.

Do they think we like being this way? PTSD is no picnic. In fact, that's what I told them at one point: I didn't get this at the Sunday School picnic. I was stationed in Georgia, but I don't flinch at the sight of peaches; I was stationed in Germany, but I don't dive under the table at the sound of an Oom-pah band. Yet my life has been permanently altered by my service in Viet Nam.

Yeah, I've done the Vet Center counselling thing and even the PTSD Ward thing at the VA Hospital. Helps, but doesn't erase the reality of daily living with PTSD. It can come up and kick your ass out of the blue.

They held it against me that I brushed my teeth, combed my hair and held down a job and stayed married to one wife. Do they know the energy and effort it took to do that? I had 22 positions within the company I worked for (phone company). My marriage is more a credit to my wife than to me.

I hope I'm not discouraging you. I just mean to tell you to hang in there and stick to your guns. It finally worked for me. Do whatever it takes. Ask for a review at your regional office. Write to the director of the VA office closest to you. You deserve better treatment.

You seem to be good at writing. Try writing down your feelings about what happened in Viet Nam. Try writing a poem. Let those things come out on paper like you did here. Show them to your local Vet Center counsellor or advocate. Have them put in your file to be read at your next review. Whatever it takes. Hang in there, grunt.

Welcome home!
Terry
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 AM

One bright spot. The pay is retroactive to the date of the request. That will make your first check for around $17K. 72months X $243. My first 100% check was for over two years.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks
And I remain very positive. Just trying to speak for Myself and the other thousands that
no one can really speak for. I told Them at the Vet center today: It seems to Me that PTSD is like the weather, They all talk about it, and yet can"t do anything about it. I found it interesting in the last decision letter for the 30% rating for PTSD. At the end of the medical finding it read: This rating is not permanent because in all liklihood Your condition is subject to improve, and is subject to a re-evaluation.