The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-10-2003, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Question about a helicopter

This is a picture that was my uncles. I think its a huey but i'm not sure. Do ya'll know what it is for sure?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool Yes

That would be a Huey, either a B or C model. The exhaust, behind the engine gives an indication as to the model. Just guessing but I'd think probably '67.

Something odd about it. It sort of looks like it has a rocket pod on the "passenger"s side, no doubt one on the drivers side too. However, no gun mount for the door gunner, no flex or mini-guns. Maybe it was being repaired or replaced.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Did you know those birds had a Jesus Nut?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default B Model

Just a guess on my part, but due to the single-panel door and the rocket pod, it appears that this is indeed a B model, the precursor to the Cobra. If it was from an ARA (aerial rocket artillery) unit, it would have rocket pods in liew of miniguns.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-10-2003, 04:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

I.e., it could simply have been an early vintage, before they were issuing them with "factory" door gun mounts... maybe something like 1962-64 or 65 (?) thereabouts. I believe there was a phase between the nude version and the fully equipped side gunnery... which was basically whatever anybody could jury rig (weld, bolt-on etc.) that fired bullets back during p/u & del sorties.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I may be wrong, but didn't the 25th Divison bring the first of these ( prototype gunships ) over from Hawaii ?

Larry
Old 11-10-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Early gunship

I think Andy has the timeline just about nailed. It looks as if there might be a minigun covered by the tarp, just outboard of the rocket pod. This was indeed the early mounting system for the mini's. Also, the earkly gunships didn't have door gunner M60 mounts because the early birds didn't have the new and improved main rotors for the additional lift / payload capability. herefore the early gunships used only two man crews to save on weight. With nobody in the "cargo" bay, there was no need for a door-gunner.
These early versions of the gunship used a greese pencil mark on the windscreen as a sight for the co-pilot. It was really amazing that these guys were as good as they were in putting the fire power in the right places, especially when in close !
I believe the new rotors became available and began wide deployment in RVN sometime in early to mid 1968. The new high-lift capable rotors allowed the Hueys to (1) carry more men into battle, (2) allowed the gunships to carry both more armament (fire power) and door-gunners and also allowed the dust-offs to be able to carry up to eight litters and two or three corpsmen. The previous models only allowed for 4 litters and one corpsman.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks so much guys!! I asked some of the guys over at the 129th site about it. I think it might not of involved something he did, but you never know. We think(my grandpa has the papers and I can't really understand the scan I have of it) he served maybe from 66-68. I know he went into the army in 65(by order of a judge, he was a stinker) and was discharged in 68. If anybody could understand the paper I could send it to you to decifer because I don't understand it!

Thanks so much!

Mel
Old 11-10-2003, 10:07 PM

That's either an "M16" or "M21" armament. It's a combination of the M6 flexi mount machine guns and 7 tube rocket launcher.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:10 PM

Better picture. This is the M16 system. The one above is the M21.