Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2004, 02:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile President, first lady assist with USO care packages

President, first lady assist with USO care packages
by Kafia Hosh
FORT BELVOIR, Va. (Army News Service, Dec. 15, 2004) --

President George W. Bush attended an Operation USO Care Package event Dec. 10 to help prepare boxes for troops overseas.

The commander in chief and First Lady Laura Bush joined more than 75 volunteers at the USO Metropolitan Washington warehouse on Fort Belvoir, Va., and assembled packages that will be delivered this winter to troops stationed in the Middle East.

Dressed casually in dark slacks and a blue-collared shirt, Bush mingled with USO volunteers as he placed presidential coins into boxes.

During his remarks, the president recognized the significance of
sending care packages to service members overseas.

?This is one way of saying, America appreciates your service to freedom and peace and our security,? he said.

After stuffing care packages, the president and Mrs. Bush chatted with awestruck volunteers who took every opportunity to have their pictures taken with the two.

USO volunteer Sue Crippen met President Bush for the first time even though she works at the Executive Office of the President.

?He hugged me!? gushed Crippen, a huge smile plastered across her face.

An avid Bush supporter, the 50-year-old donned a black long-sleeved shirt emblazoned with the phrase ?W ? still the President!?

As for Mrs. Bush, ?she is like grace personified,? said Crippen.

Despite President Bush?s visit, Crippen said the important task at hand was still the preparation of care packages.

?It just underscores how much we love and appreciate what our military families are doing,? Crippen said. ?If there?s any way I could do this every day, I would.?

Angela Bourdon worked alongside Bush in a care-package assembly line.

The president autographed a picture of Bourdon?s 31-year-old son, who is currently serving in Iraq.

?For him to recognize my son is in Iraq?it means a lot,? Bourdon said.

Among the volunteers was Col. Ervin Planto, who returned to the country on a two-week leave from Baghdad, Iraq, where he is the director of Information and Communication Technology in the International Zone.

As the recipient of USO care packages in the past, Planto said, ?It?s one thing to get the packages, but to see the people and how enthusiastic they are? in preparing them, makes all the difference.

?I mean, I?m here working up a sweat,? said the colonel, as he rapidly stuffed candy canes and sticks of gum into plastic bags.

Planto also met Bush, and said the president congratulated him on his service in Iraq.

Beth Bradner, the director of development, marketing and events at the Metropolitan Washington USO, said President Bush?s ?hands-on visit? was unprecedented because of the level of interaction between him and the volunteers.

?It was outstanding that he?d be able to come and take the time to show his support like that,? Bradner said.

As the president, Bush is the honorary chairman of the United Services Organization. His grandfather, Prescott S. Bush was the first president and chief executive officer of USO when it was founded in 1941.

(Editor?s note: Kafia Hosh writes for the Belvoir Eagle newspaper.)
link: http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=6661

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links