The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2004, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default In memory of my father

My father, Edward H. Nuckolls, served in the U.S. Army from April 1941 ( drafted ) - December 1944 with Co. A, 172nd Infantry Regiment ( "Put the Vermonters Ahead" ), First Battalion, 43rd Infantry Division. He fought on Guadalcanal, Rendova, New Georgia, and was a Sgt. in a heavy weapons platoon ( 60 mm. mortars and .30 caliber machine guns ). He worked on Pickwick Dam in Tennessee ( TVA ) in the 1930s and was a water plant operator at the Millington Naval Air Station from 1944 - 1976. He suffered during his entire life from diseases and memories from the War, and never complained.

He died on St. Patrick's Day 1986.

Pop...you are my hero !! I love you very much !!

Lawrence
Old 05-30-2004, 04:22 PM

I loving Memory of my uncle Roy B. Bass. He lied about his age when he was 16 so he could join the war. Served in Framingham, England from 1943-1944 as a top turret gunner on B17s. Was shot down over Germany on a daylight bombing raid on Berlin. He was flying in Pistol Packin Mama when they took a direct hit on the top turret. The plane broke in half and plummetted from the sky. With hydraulic fluid in his eyes he managed to find his chute and his toolbox and threw himself clear of the craft. He then pushed his arms through the straps and hugged the chute while he pulled the chord. He made a decent landing under the circumstances and the farmer whose field he landed in turned him over to the Germans. He spent the last year of the war marching from one end of Germany to the other with a broken back. Broken by a rifle butt slamed into his back by a soldier. He never complained. After the war and his liberation from the camp he separated from service for less than a year, then rejoined and continued through Korea and Viet Nam. He finally retired in 1976.
He passed last year just two months after finally receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was my personal hero through out my whole life and I didn't know about his WWII service until just 13 years ago when he finally told me. Not a day went by that I didn't tell him how special he was to me.
God Bless you Uncle Roy! I will always love you.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:28 PM

The greatest generation. Just said goodbye to another one last week.

They were too good for us.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Salute , Dad !
Old 06-02-2004, 06:43 PM

I understand your sentiment due to my recent loss.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Here's to our dad's. I miss mine a lot too!

They were the greatest generation and it's a shame they don't make them that way anymore. It's no wonder they won the war with hearts, minds and such fortitude!
http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/
Old 09-08-2004, 02:21 PM

Good thoughts to all of them who've moved on. It's amazing how you miss them the more they are gone. I still remember the the looks I'd get once an awhile when I was out of line.

I think I will call my Dad's brother my Uncle Lee (x-Navy WWII) and just hearing his voice settles me down.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 AM

I sure miss my father who served in the 69th INF Div in Europe .
Old 10-09-2004, 04:05 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

God bless all the Dads that aren't with us any more and bless us that still have them. And remember our Dads like Phone Calls and Fathers Day Cards too just like Mom gets
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Update - My Uncle Lee died too now they are all gone. Boy I'm depressed and like I said now that they are gone you sure do miss them. Such is life -

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"