Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation What Price Glory

2-13-2019

(opinions)

I vividly remember the old World War I war movie entitled – “WHAT PRICE GLORY?” Now I don’t know what brought this old flick to mind, but the title did ring a bell when I thought about what is taking place in politics today!

It seems to me that with all of the turmoil that is taking place all around the world, including in Russia, Iran, Afghanistan, Venezuela, Central America and even here within “Our Own Nation” at times, that our politicians could concentrate for a moment on things that don’t revolve around themselves or their own political party alone – “good luck with that friends?”

So just what in the Hell is it that places self and a political party upon a much higher scale in the mind than anything as droll and inconsequential as the welfare, and maybe even the survival, of “Our Nation and Her People?” And - do these politicians really believe that they are in business for themselves? “Their actions & their agendas definitely point in that sad direction at times, Now Don’t They?!”

“AN OUTSPOKEN PATRIOT” - I HOPE SO? BUT A CONTROLLED TOADY - “NEVER!!”

Hardcore
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 AM

Arrow What Price Glory

What Price Glory
RE: https://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-...es/price-glory

In this 1952 remake of Raoul Walsh’s 1926 comic drama, the director John Ford tells the same story—about two American officers wrangling over a woman while stationed in France in 1918, during the First World War—but the underlying subject of Ford’s film is the war that was raging at the time of the shoot, the Korean War. The short, raucous Captain Flagg (James Cagney) and the tall, raucous Sergeant Quirt (Dan Dailey) have been competitive friends for decades—Flagg wins the fights, Quirt gets the girls. Now, stationed in Bar-le-Duc, Flagg seems to have won the heart of Charmaine (Corinne Calvet), a café owner’s daughter. But, decimated in combat, the outfit receives a shipment of raw recruits and conscripts, some underage, whom the battle-hardened Quirt must mold into a fighting force and lead into the fray in just a few days. For Ford, the military training, discipline, courage, and wiles of a professional army—and the cruel pointlessness of the draft—are the center of the story. The patriotic sentiment of a corps marching crisply is harshly dispelled by the mortal struggle that awaits. Ford doesn’t stint on the horrors, or on their psychological effects; he gives Cagney some of the most terrifying scenes of masculine grief and post-traumatic crackup ever filmed.

— Richard Brody

In short: Definition of what price glory/fame. —used to suggest that glory/fame may not be worth what a person has to lose or give up in order to get it.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote