Old 04-28-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Books

David

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 01-09-2001 at 12:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chilidog

Posted: 2001-08-22 21:35
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok Tamaroa...Bill, I didn't write down those web addresses that you posted before the plague. I will be interested to see if any of those sites have any books on the west.

chilidog

Tamaroa

Posted: 2001-08-23 08:00
Chili,
Don't know if my last post made it or not. Things got funky then a lot of my stuff disappeared.

You asked a tough question. There are two ways to find out about books on theCW in the west. First go to www.oldesoldierbooks.com. Dave Zullo can guide you in the right direction. Its a great site. Also you can get a hold of Tom Broadfoots compendium of Civil War published books. The number of books published is mind boggling.

There is a book out of print that may or may not help you. It is called the American Indian As Participant in the Civil War. It was written by Annie Heloise Abel around the end of the 19th century. It may reference some battles in the west that your ancestor fought in.

I'll keep looking.

BD

Tamaroa

Posted: 2001-08-23 22:33
Chili,

here is the Broadfoot site. His hardbound compendium of Civil War books is unequaled.
www.broadfootpublishing.com

chilidog

Posted: 2001-08-23 22:57
Tamaroa,
Thanks for the websites. I'll check them out. I ran a search in google on the 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. Wew! What a can of worms. Sometimes they go by the unit designation, sometimes they go by the commander's name. It makes you pay attention.

chilidog

Tamaroa

Posted: 2001-08-24 05:50
Chili,
One more very important source. I can't believe I didn't mention it earlier. Check out the Official Records of the War of The Rebellion.

you can get it on CD-Rom for $69.00 from Guild Press in Indiana. It comprises 128 volumes of Civil War records and most probably will have info on the 2nd Texas Mtd. rifles. I have a copy here at home. I''ll check it out over the weekend.

Regards,
Tamaroa (Bill)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links