Old 04-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Ole' JEB

chilidog

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 17-10-2001 at 23:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everybody has heard the story about ole JEB's ride around the Army of the Potomac, but have you heard the tale about ole JEB's campout in the holler during that famous ride? JEB's force, numbering only a couple thousand, spent the night in a holler while in the rear of the Union Army. When they were ready to leave the next morning, they found the whole of the Union Army passing by in review. Ole JEB's officers were worried. If they stayed hidden in the holler, they were sure to be found before the day was out. With no other way out of the holler, they would be trapped. Ole JEB, being the man he was, told them to get the men ready to march. Ole JEB watched as one Union regiment went by and the colors of the next regiment were approaching. JEB rode out into the middle of the road and halted the approaching Union regiment and ordered his force in line between the two Union regiments. They marched along in the MIDDLE of the Union Army for several miles until they reached an intersection. They turned off and parted ways with the Union Army with no one the wiser for their little escapade.
Some folks have their share of guts.

chilidog

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 18-10-2001 at 21:34
Chili,

I owe Jeb Stuart big time. When I was ten years old, I took out my first book on the Civil War. It was Burke Davis' "The Last Cavalier" about James Ewell Brown Stuart. I especially loved (as a 10 year old) the part about the banjo player Sweeny and the song they used to sing, "If you want to have a good time you got to jine the Cavalry."

Interest in the old fashioned version of the "caped crusader" really blossomed as did my fascination with the Civil War now going on 44 years. I can even forgive him for being a bit off guard at Brandy Station and Gettysburg, he was so good.

A funny story about him. I knew a gentlemen in Virginia 25 years ago who told me that his mother (this guy's father fought in the Civil War) knew Jeb's maid. According to Jeb's maid, he always had the dirtiest underwear around. The story is probably apocraphyl, but it makes for good copy.

Regards,
Bill

Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Registered to :Aug 23, 2001
Posted 19-10-2001 at 02:17
I have always admired Jeb Stuart. A great officer for anytime and in any Army. Can you imagine Jeb and Patton together? Now that would be an interesting duo. Anyway, just thinking, if you are always pushing the envelope it only makes sense that you'd dirty your shorts once in awhile.

LOL

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
chilidog

Posted 19-10-2001 at 10:47
I don't know about that, Keith. They may have tied up in fights. There isn't room for two at the top. It may have been like the relationship between Patton and Monty. The competition between Patton and Stuart probably would have been fierce.....and exciting. Your more subtile point is well taken though; I definitely wouldn't want to be on the opposing side of those two.
You are right about the shorts pushing the envelope too!

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 19-10-2001 at 16:08
Monte and Patton: Monte couldn't even get along with Ike. A descent commander but an egotistical jerk. Patton had an ego but his biggest problem was foot and mouth disease. I think Jeb and Patton would have respected each other as commanders because both wanted hit hard and quick and get the war over. They would had to have been equal in rank and responsibility. But, mutual respect would have carried them along.

My wife said I am sick. The remark about dirty britches and pushing the envelope. I told her that Bill had brought up the subject and I was just adding commentary.

I do have sick humor thats why I do such a good job of counseling the likes of others with sick humor. Reinforcement counseling! "You're okay and I'm okay."

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Posted 19-10-2001 at 17:34
Regarding that story, it was told to me by a gentleman who was about 85 or so in 1973 when I did my senior seminar paper on the 11th Virginia Infantry. This guy's FATHER had fought in that unit and he showed me his pistol and sword. It kind of explains why the south is so touchy at times. If the generations are so long that your father fought in the war, I would assume that the father's prejudices would have been passed down to the son.

The war is not that far removed from us. In 1961 there were 1600 widows receiving pensions as Civil War widows. We are down to 2 widows left, both in their late 90's. They married their husbands late in life after the war.

Profile www Qoute
chilidog

Posted 19-10-2001 at 22:23
Wow! I didn't realize that there were ANY Civil War widows left.

chilidog

Profile Email Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 20-10-2001 at 13:19
Civil War Widows?

My Great Grandfather died in the 1920's he was in his 80's I suppose if some your chick married an old veteran in the 20's it would be possible. But, any widow would have to be in her late 90's or over 100. They must have been rich old guys, for those young gals to marry them. I'd like to know the history of these widows. Do you have anymore knowledge on these two ladies. Just curious. My grandmother was the daughter of a civil war vet. She was born in 1874, she'd be 127 if still alive, my Dad was born in 1900 he'd be 102 if still alive and he was a grandson of a civil war vet. Too much thinking. There has to be a story about these widows.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Posted 21-10-2001 at 14:04
If you really are a Civil War freak, you would do well to subscribe to the Civil War News. It is a monthly Newspaper full of stuff about preservation, re-enactments, dedications of historical sites and graves, book reviews and so on. It is a great paper.
Their internet address is:

http://www.civilwarnews.com/

Several months ago there was an article in there and photos of the oldest living Confederate widow shaking hands with the oldest Union widow over the Stone wall at Pickett's charge.

Since then Daisy the Union widow has died. the two remaining are Confederate widows.

-----------------
"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."

Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 21-10-2001 at 15:39
I have no doubt about the truth of your story. I am just wondering why these very young ladies married these very old men. I am wondering if there wasn't a little gold digging going? Or something. Must be some story. I wonder if they remarried, etc.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
Tamaroa

Posted 21-10-2001 at 20:46
If memory serves, they all remarried and had married their Civil War veteran spouses when they were quite young and the vet was tottering. I won't pretend to understand why, but what the heck! They got a pension out of it, Federal from the Union vet and State from the Confederate Vets.

In fact, here is another doozy for you! About 5 years ago, I wrote an article about the history of Rockland county in the Civil War. In the magazine, I gave my phone # out to people who might have info on their ancestor. One of the regiments was the 127th NY Volunteers. A gentleman called me up and asked if I had any knowledge of a particular soldier. Well the guy was not in Company A or B which are the 2 companies that Rockland gave so I said I couldn't help him.

The guy was pretty old, I had to practically yell in the phone for him to hear me. He was 92 at the time.I asked him his relation to the soldier and he replied that the person was his uncle. That's right, uncle, no great uncle or grand uncle, just plain uncle.

I was stunned to say the least. I wanted to help him but his uncle was not in a company that I was tracing. You really do run across strange things from time to time in doing this kind of research.

Regards,
Bill

-----------------
"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."

Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 22-10-2001 at 02:21
It all depends on birth order and separation of generations. Almost anything is possible.
I would bet my bottom dollar there was some sort of reward for those young gals to marry those old guys. Pension, inheritance, notoriety, etc. History can be fun and interesting.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 23-11-2001 at 13:16
Ole Jeb Stuart must have had some big Balls to pull that off.
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

Profile www Qoute
desrvedaCMH

Registered to :Nov 22, 2001
Posted 25-12-2001 at 11:06
Hi--its James (incognito, radioing in from my brothers house on Christmas)
Jeb Stuart had an interesting life for one so young.
Did you know he arrested john brown--twice? once in kansas and then he was there at harpers ferry with robert e Lee. It was a small Army in those days altho in harpers ferry, lee and Stuart were actually commanding Marines.
the whole thing is Another Unusual American Story.

Chil1--I talked to Tom (friscokid) and I found out I teally dropped the ball--that you had recorded band of Brothers for me and I never responded.,
I am sooooo sorry.Musta been th PTSD!! ("they got Johnny sarge!!..They got johnny!) (thats my permanent excuse now, steada old age)somehow my fevered mind didn't get the notion you were going to record this for me--still have a copy?--if not, I'll wait for Tom to see his and get it from him-he's still on the first episode tho.

LOOK OUT ALL!! the CW is my 2d favorite subject (after VN, politics and wimmen)

Anyway, merry Christmas, all
James

Happy just to be alive

Profile www Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Posted 26-12-2001 at 08:59
We really are a lot closer to "The War of Northern Aggression" than we know. My great-grandfather was born in 1834 and lived until 1924. My father was born in 1912, so he had a 12 year span to talk to him about his life including hunting bears and fighting in the Civlil War at Shiloh and later at Atlanta. He also rode with Bedford Forrest's calvary. In 1961 I was 13 and was very much into the 100th anniversary of the Civil War, but it never occurred to me to sit down with my grandmother for any length of time and get her to tell me all the stories she must have had about her dad's life in the Civil War and before and after. A few years ago I was searching the Tennessee Confederate States Pension File Records and found he tried without success to get a pension ( about $ 20 a month ) from 1903 to 1912. He did, however generate a 30 page paper trail that let me see the Civil War through his eyes. His unit's 1 year enlistment ran out after Shiloh and many joined the calvary. He was put down as AWOL, but their records showed him in the calvary later. He was wounded at the battle of Atlanta and left by both sides in an old school. It took him 3 months to get home to Tenn.

Larry
81MM + 4.2" MORTARDUDE
B Co. 2/22 (M) 25TH INF DIV. ( 1970 )
I'm in the autumn of the year, And now I think of my life as vintage wine from fine old kegs, From the brim to the dregs, and it poured sweet and clear, It was a very good year.

Drywall

Posted 26-12-2001 at 09:41
Dude

It really must be interesting to be able to look back at your family history and find out all that stuff. My own grandfather served in the Kaisers army in pre-WW1 Germany. I would like to trace that line back but wouldn't know where to start. We are so recent to this country that some of my uncles were born in Germany.

Profile www Qoute
Keith_Hixson

Posted 26-12-2001 at 11:15
Hey Dude,

We are closer to the civil war than we realize. My Dad was born in 1900 and my grandfather lived until the twenties, he was a Sergeant with the Illinois 10th infantry. My grandmother passed away in 1969. Lots of time talk about the past and link up. We have a couple genealogist in our family. They do a lot of tracing and going around to county seats checking records. My wife has a cousin who has a PHD. in anthropology and traced her side of the family back to the Pilgrims. Got his uncle and mother installed into the Mayflower society. I have found it difficult to trace our heritage after the mid 1700's. My Brother In Law's family came from Germany. He traces his heritage through relatives in Germany. During WW II the country was so devastated that records are hard to find in the usual regular places (government records). Do you know relatives in Germany? Write them and ask if there is a genealogy list somewhere.

Keith

Profile Email Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Posted 26-12-2001 at 12:29
Speaking of the Mayflower...my next door neighbors last name is Soule, and his direct ancestor was a passenger on the Mayflower. He is very nonchalant about it and says his family has expended a good deal of time and money and cannot find where he came from. I think the name means criminal in French or some such. I asked him first because I found a book in the library by accident that confirmed it.

Larry
81MM + 4.2" MORTARDUDE
B Co. 2/22 (M) 25TH INF DIV. ( 1970 )
I'm in the autumn of the year, And now I think of my life as vintage wine from fine old kegs, From the brim to the dregs, and it poured sweet and clear, It was a very good year.

Profile Email www Qoute
Drywall

Posted 26-12-2001 at 12:50
Kieth

Thanks for the tip. I went to the phone directory for Essen, Germany and found four people with the same lasr name as mine. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and write to one or all and see what happens. Thanks again.

Profile www Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Posted 27-12-2001 at 09:35
Forgot to tell you the rest of the story about my great-grandfather's Tenn. CSA Civil War Veterans pension. They denied it until his death in 1924, which was due, I found out later to limited funds set aside for this. However, his widow put in for survivors benefits and had no trouble at all.
Go figure. I found her application also. All my relatives on both sides grew up in Hardeman County, TN. and lived near each other. My mother remembers my great-grandmother on my father's side who got the pension because she always got a check in the mail every month ( before Social Security ) and she was able to buy a radio so they could all hear the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nights. She also taught my mother to sew. It is hard to believe that this lady was still around when slavery was the law of the land....
-----------------
Larry 81MM + 4.2" MORTARDUDE B Co. 2/22 (M) 25TH INF DIV. ( 1970 ) St. John 12-13 : This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends

Profile Email www Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Posted 27-12-2001 at 09:38
Mr. Drywall :

Have you tried www.rootsweb.com ?? There may be a group of folks that are already researching your name and you can join their group and get info that way. I do it for several names I research.

-----------------
Larry 81MM + 4.2" MORTARDUDE B Co. 2/22 (M) 25TH INF DIV. ( 1970 ) St. John 12-13 : This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends

Profile Email www Qoute
MORTARDUDE

Posted 27-12-2001 at 09:40
Going back to the start of this thread, the story I heard about Jeb Stuart was that he waited until the last Union riders past and then they followed at a short distance.
Did both of these happen ?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links