The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Military News > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2016, 06:16 PM

Default Why the Navy is making a major change in its approach to PTSD - PBS NewsHour

Why the Navy is making a major change in its approach to PTSD - PBS NewsHour

06-16-2016 04:25 PM

PBS NewsHour

Why the Navy is making a major change in its approach to PTSD
PBS NewsHour
For years, the military has struggled to deal with the unseen, psychological wounds of war, especially Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus has instituted major changes to the rules affecting sailors and Marines who suffer from ...

and more »

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2016, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up Ptsd

Depends on how you deal with stress. I've seen some terrible things even when I was nine years old. I've never forgotten but I worked thru it. During the service days I saw many things of which I will not elborate but death is often times sudden without having to deal with the reabilitation aspects.

My training in the service helped me save a guys life after being debowled in knife fight. I don't know why but I gathered up his inners and held this cavity closed until we got him to the hospital - where they put him back together. He's now a fireman for one of the districts locally. I've seen much worse in my life but for some reason I can deal with the terrible
things life offers.

I was shot at 16 with a 20 guage - in the back - put a hole in my back bigger than a grapefruit - 18 months later I was on my way to VN. I had to sign medical waivers and pass the physical. But I also had to pass the physical training during boot camp. Lungs are still full of shot as is my shoulder bone. But I wasn't about to stay home when all my school buddies enlisted. My best friend I grew up with George Yocum was killed over there. When I came home on leave two years later his Dad came over and asked me why his son had to die. I was taken back by the issue - that George had been killed and that his mother who I knew went blind giving birth to George's younger sister. I said Mr. Yocum many died over there and your loss is no greater than the losses of other parents. I suffer your pain as I went school with George and I knew all of you but why I don't know - its the luck of draw - you never know when your numbers up.

I said to his family I will never forget him along with others I know who didn't come back and its tough to recall this but war favors no one on either side. The best cure for loosing a family member is not to have wars.

Some guys I look up - others call me. We are family one and all. We know what its like to loose a friend or a buddie its painfull but we must carry on in memory of those who've fallen and those who came back wounded for life. War is ugly it favors no one and if its your time - there not much you can do about it.

Alot of us don't talk about it but we live it like it was yesterday. God sent me home in one piece for some reason. I deal with this everyday. I got married had a family they didn't it's always something I'm grateful for. George didn't as did many others so we have to live our lives in honor of their sacrafices and do the best we can to do otherwise would dishonor their passage.

This is why we are all family - and we never forget - it would be too painfull to do otherwise - so we carry on as they would want us to.

I don't want to write this ever again - but for George and others - they know.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote