The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2008, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I'm radioactive!!

Well, boys it happened to me---I had brachytherapy for prostate cancer last wednesday. And two days later I was out on the golfcourse (and the day after that too!)

this is one of the real miracles of modern science, that they can do this.

I was diagnosed early this spring with prostate cancer. I had three or four choices: doing nothing ("watchful waiting,") prostatectomy (removal of prostate,) extrernal radiation and brachytherapy--implantation of radioactive seeds in the prostate.

I researched it all. I probably talked to at least 30 people who'd done all the different things, trying to decide which way to do it. There's advantages and disadvantages to any of these, there's no "one size fits all" answer to this.

But I decided on brachytherapy because almost everyone who'd done it had good things to say about it.

I also researched the doctor that was going to do the job (another use for Google, Fred!) I didn't want some VA hack to be chopping on me---the guy I had was a former head of the Brachytherapy society and had done many papers. I talked to him and another doctore who did it---they both said that theis would be their choice if it wee up to them.

Its the least intrusive of all the cures, except doing nothing.

they sent me up to Seattle for it, thats where its done on the west coast. My wife and I drove up the day before. The motel the VA were going to put us up in was a real hole in a bad neighborhood and we had decided to chuck it and get a place on our own but they didn't have enough rooms for us!! So the VA wound up putting us in a nice, Extended Stay suite in a better motel.

I won't get REAL specific but I will say there was 45 minutes of sheer hell. First they numb yoiur perineum up, which is the most painful part---about 30 shots with what seemed like square needles. Then, when it was numb, they inserted about 30 radioactive "seeds" in the prostate. These are about the size of a large grain of sand and are inserted with a loooooong needle through the pereneum. (I almost booted just looking at it!).

After they do it, you have to wait while they review x-rays and MRI scans to make sure they got everything right and don't have to put in a few more (this happens about half the time) But the doctor came out and said everything went perfect, it was a textbook case, there should be no problem.

I consider this a major miracle!!! That I can be cured of cancer in 45 minutes!! What should happen is the PSA number drops down to nothing over a year or so. Out of the 10 or so people I'd talked to who had brachytherapy, only one's number hadn't come down in ths time frame, and it eventually did.

I had some after effects: nausea, weakness for about an hour afterwards--I think this was a reaction to all the drugs floating around in my system. After about an hour it went away.

I have to give kudos to the VA for this---everything was handled....well, better than theyre used to handling stuff. If you know what you want, and know how to get it out of the VA, yoiu can really make this work.

I really, REALLY want to urge every Vietnam vet top get checked for this frequently.I'm the only case of this ever happening in my family and I'm the only Vietnam Veteran in it. what saved my ass on this was early detection---it was just getting to the detectable stage when I was diagnosed.

My excretory procceses are back to normal now and the good news is: Mr Happy is alive and kicking! (no, I'm not glowing!)
Whats not to like? Its a miracle!!

Stay good
James
Old 07-27-2008, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

You're radioactive, eh?

Well, don't go to Iraq.

You'll be declared a WMD and shipped to Canada.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default James

Thas really cool!!!...Now I can use you for a flashlight next April on the mtn.
Get better and do what the good docs tellya to do

God bless the ACLU
Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great news James !!!

May God Bless,

Larry
Old 07-27-2008, 11:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default That's

GREAT NEWS James!

Glad they caught it early.

And, you're right.............the "new" VA does a geat job with their new approach to "preventive" medicene.

Stay healthy,

Gimp

PS---Steve (rigger) you are a RIOT my friend....an absolute RIOT! I love your description of James as a WMD...........do you suppose our right-wing brethren have the intellect to even pick up on it?
Yo old buddy and another "backwater retard from Florida"!----Tha Gimpster

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default James

Tom informed me of your ailment when we visited last and needkess to say, I was concerned. Glad to hear of your succesful treatment!

Peace,Griz
Old 07-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

James-

Sorry you ran up on such a problem but glad to hear that nothing important is likely to fall off. Keep that flashlight outta sight. Some battlescars can stand to remain covered.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Good news James !
Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks for all the good wishes,guys

Yes, this is one time the good ol VA didn't let me down (after a long litany of let downs.)

You still have to kick it to get it to work sometimes.
An example:Right after the biopsy in February, the urologist told me he'd call me Monday and give me the results. Monday Came and went with no call, nor Tuesday, nor Wednesday, nor that week nor the next week.
I had to be going down to Roseburg VA (where I go) anyway for a colonoscopy. During this, one of the aides asked if I had any questions. I said Yeah---How'd my biopsy come out?

She went over to that department (colonoscopy is seperate) and came back looking flustered---she'd only say it was complicated, that I needed to go down and make an appopointment there to find out. (I knew then it was bad news)

So I did and they made me an apponmtment for the next Monday. I drove down to Roseburg again (85 miles--They couldn't have told me then and saved me a 170 mile round trip?) I went in to see the urlogist and the first thing he said was: "As per our phone conversation....."

I said: "There was no phone conversation, you never called me. "
he said: "I never called you?"
I said "No'
We then got into a long staring contest. Nobody beats me on this, I can stare into your eyes all day with a mean look. (Handy things you learn in the Army!)
He said " But I ALWAYS call the next Monday."
I said " You never called me---thats why I'm here now"

We then got into another staring contest and he didn't beat me there either
Finally I said "I don't care, I'm not here to blame you. Just tell me how the fucking biopsy came out."

So he explained it all to me and it wasn't good news. As I was leaving, he walked up and shook my hand and apologized to me for not calling,. This makes him the first and only VA employee that has ever apologized for their erroneous actions. I said, Don't worry, its impossible to lower my expectations of the VA.

So the VA system works good but you have to know how to kickstart it on occasion. I call it "DIY Healthcare."

Its been 5 days since it happened and so far it seems OK. Mr Happy likes it.

So thanks for the kind words and thoughts, guys, looks like I'll be here with you for some time more (I can hear the Groan chorus starting now)
Stay good all
james
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Seabee
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Mr Happy

James: Glad that everything worked out for you so far. I found out about my prostaet cancer seven years ago, only had two options, radition or surgy. I opted for the operation, maybe should have gone the other way. My Mr. Happy no longer works. But like they say lifes a bitch, you just have to learn to ride it. Again congrats.

Any day above ground is a good day