Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2004, 06:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Korean War Veteran Gets His Purple Heart

Korean War Veteran Gets His Purple Heart
BY DAVID LESTER
YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

Not many people get the kind of present Chuck Billups of Yakima received at a surprise 70th birthday party Saturday evening.

Of course, not many people served in the Korean Conflict and suffered shrapnel wounds and battle experiences that would haunt the retired Yakima man's body and mind over the past half century.

But it all came around as Billups, seated before a room of family and friends at Suntides Golf Course, received the Purple Heart he earned in a battle for a hill in Korea so many years ago.

Billups, just 17 when he entered the Army, said he had tried before to obtain the medals but had given up in frustration.

Standing beside Billups was the man who helped make it possible.

Joe Zelazny, a retired lieutenant colonel from Tacoma and an advocate for veterans, assisted Billups and his wife, Sally, in navigating the bureaucratic maze to get the Purple Heart and the service ribbons that had eluded Billups since he got out of the service in 1954.

Zelazny also encouraged Billups to obtain help through the Veterans Administration for post-traumatic stress disorder.

Billups, dabbing at tears in his eyes throughout the event, said he now feels complete.

"I wanted it for my kids and because I contributed to my country," he said.

The medals arrived in the mail about a month ago, but they were kept in a drawer awaiting Saturday's presentation.

Zelazny, whose daughter is a Billups family friend, said Billups' story is not unusual.

Thousands of veterans haven't received medals to which they are entitled. Part of the problem is a lack of staff in the Veterans Administration to handle the paperwork and get things moving, said Zelazny, a public relations representative for the American Ex-Prisoners of War.

"It's up to veterans to do it themselves," he said.

Zelazny should know. He recently received medals he had earned in World War II.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2004, 07:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Long Overdue Purple Heart Presentation

Long Overdue Purple Heart Presentation

April 17, 2004 By John Sharify

OAK HARBOR - When historians write about Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor, they use words like 'surprise' attack - and it was.

But if you ask Glenn Lane from Oak Harbor, he knew something was about to happen. Japanese submarines were in striking distance.

"Yeah we call that shadowing," he says. "It's tailing you, keeping you in sight."

Glenn is 86 now. He was 23 then, on the USS Arizona.

The Arizona, moored along battleship row, sank after one of those bombs ripped the ship open.

"First there was a smaller boom, boom then all of a sudden, there was complete oblivion up there, a big Boom!" remembers Glenn.

He survived, but 1,177 of his fellow crewmen did not.

His wife Beverly says, "I'm glad he wasn't lost. And he's been a good husband."

After six children, 24 grandchildren, 15 great grandchildren, and 6 great-great grandchildren, this family counts its blessings.

Daughter Trish knows her father's Pearl Harbor story by heart. But there's one part of the story she never understood.

"I asked him where the Purple Heart was, and he said he never got one. And I said 'why not?'"

Glenn says he didn't want to beg even though "that's the only medal I really ever want."

The military required Pearl Harbor survivors apply for the honor and demonstrate why they deserved it.

"Why do we have to beg for something we rated see?" he says.

Glenn knew what he did, and so does his daughter.

"You got blown off the deck of the Arizona, you swam through fiery, oily water," Trish tells her father.

Glenn also saved a saved a life.

"I grabbed him by the end of the shirt collar and I told him. I yelled at him, used a bad word. 'Crawl up the ladder! Crawl up you S.O.B. or die down here!" he remembers.

Still, Glenn does not have a Purple heart.

That's about to change, thanks to his daughter who wrote letters, made phone calls, and made a case for her dad.

The military will present Glenn Lane with the Purple Heart on Sunday, April 18.

"it's going to be a fulfillment. And it'll be great," he says. And, he didn't have to beg.

Glenn Lane is believed to be the last living survivor in Washington state who was on the USS Arizona. He retired in 1969 after serving 30 years in the Navy.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

JOY et al -

Quote:
Thousands of veterans haven't received medals to which they are entitled. Part of the problem is a lack of staff in the Veterans Administration to handle the paperwork and get things moving, said Zelazny, a public relations representative for the American Ex-Prisoners of War.
"Unfortunate but true!"

As I have redundantly stated, men (and women too), who died of starvation, beatings, disease etc. during this nation's wars, have also been deprived of these medals. Such was also the case with my wife'e uncle, Corporal Melvin H. Morgan in December of 1950. Morgan died in captivity at the North Korean Tiger Camp of starvation and beatings, not to mention disease! He was, unfortunately, but one of thousands during all of America's wars against brutal and Godless enemies to die at the enemy's hands!

According to data that I have received, Congressman Bob Filner of California is attempting to right this long-standing wrong through the introduction of a long overdue bill this month (Should appear upon C-Span sometimes this week, will know more soon)!

The Bill would award the Purple Heart Medal to those who died in, or as a result of enemy captivity!

I sincerely hope and trust that Congress and the Senate will finally grant the honor, respect and recognition to those who died while still in service to our nation and her people!!

This is a debt that we all owe our valiant military departed who suffered the horrors of captivity, and died therein!

VERITAS