Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Cold War

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2022, 05:47 AM

Arrow US Aircraft Carrier Arrives in South Korea as Warning to North Korea

US Aircraft Carrier Arrives in South Korea as Warning to North Korea
By: Asia & Pacific News & Reuters News - 09-23-22
Re: https://www.ntd.com/us-aircraft-carr...ea_845424.html

Photo link: https://img.ntd.com/assets/uploads/2...er-900x506.jpg
U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan approaches a port in Busan, South Korea, on Sept. 23, 2022. (Daewoung Kim/Reuters)
[Personal note: it sorta reminds me of Pearl Harbor when I was there years ago.
It's wide open agains the sea - a possible target - if such and attack were to happen].

BUSAN, South Korea—A U.S. aircraft carrier arrived in South Korea on Friday for the first time in about four years, set to join other military vessels in a show of force intended to send a message to North Korea.

USS Ronald Reagan and ships from its accompanying strike group docked at a naval base in the southern port city of Busan ahead of joint drills with South Korean forces.

Its arrival marks the most significant deployment yet under a new push to have more U.S. “strategic assets” operate in the area to deter North Korea.

Strike group commander Rear Admiral Michael Donnelly told reporters aboard the ship that the visit was designed to build allied relations and boost interoperability between the navies.

“We are leaving messaging to diplomats,” he said, when asked about any signal to North Korea, but added that joint drills would ensure the allies were able to respond to all threats.

“It’s an opportunity for us to practice tactics and operations,” Donnelly said.

South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol has pushed for more joint exercises and other displays of military power as a warning to North Korea, which this year conducted a record number of missile tests and appears to be preparing to resume nuclear testing for the first time since 2017.

North Korea has denounced previous U.S. military deployments and joint drills as rehearsals for war and proof of hostile policies by Washington and Seoul. The drills have also sparked protests by peace activists who say they raise regional tensions.

Last week the United States said the carrier’s visit was a “clear demonstration” of its commitment to deploy and exercise strategic assets to deter Pyongyang and enhance regional security.

In announcing the visit, however, the U.S. Navy made no mention of North Korea, referring only to a “regularly scheduled port visit” and emphasizing crew members visiting Busan to volunteer at orphanages and explore the K-pop music scene.

Officials declined to provide details of the upcoming joint drills, but said the carrier would be in port for “several days.” Just hours after the ship docked, long lines of crewmembers formed as they took COVID-19 tests before being bused into the city.

The visit is the first to South Korea by an American aircraft carrier since 2018. Many drills were since scaled back or cancelled due to diplomatic efforts with North Korea or because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Questions have risen over the role the roughly 28,500 U.S. troops stationed in South Korea might play if conflict erupts over Taiwan.

Donnelly said such questions are for policymakers above him, but said that operating with like-minded allies such as South Korea is a key part of the U.S. Navy’s efforts to maintain the regional security and stability that has existed for more than seven decades.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal (summary):

After reading this article - I couldn't help but think back to 63 when I was at Pearl Harbor.
When we stopped there to pick up hardware - fuel & weapons - before heading on to
P.I. then to Da Nang.
-
While we were there some of us went up to Dimond-Head (in 64) - before
heading on our way to P.I. & then Da Nang.
-
(WWII - Pearl Harbor flashed into our heads). It was so vulnerable from the sea.
-
Back then a sneaky sub got into the harbor. Whereas surface ships or aircraft
may now pick them up by sonar - radar or satellite's. It gave me the creeps.
-
Today - the harbor most likely has underwater sensors in the harbor?
Satellites may also give them an advanced warning - but here again - you
just never know?
-
The next day we shoved off or PI to pick to up supplies - I then transferred
to a supply AF29 ship - and then went onto Da Nang. That harbor was smothered
with our mine's in the water.
-
The skipper took two or three hours to maneuver through the mine fields before
docking and unloading supplies and men. I believe we unloaded at Red Beach.
-
The severely wounded were flown to carrier's offshore where more extensive
medical attention was available & required. From there they were flown onto P.I.
to the Clark Air Force Base - then once stabilized - were once again flown back
stateside.
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links