Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2003, 08:59 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Legless Veteran Finishes L.A. Marathon

Legless Veteran Finishes L.A. Marathon

By AMANDA RIDDLE
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A veteran who lost his legs to a mortar round in Vietnam finished the Los Angeles Marathon on Saturday, a week after he began, to the cheers of supporters and passers-by.

Police closed down the last half block of the 26.2-mile course so Bob Wieland, 57, propelled only by his hands, could cross the finish line in the middle of a downtown street.

As about 150 people huddled around, Wieland raised a hand and pointed his index finger in the air as a marathon official placed a medal around his neck.

``This was not natural. This was supernatural,'' he said. ``It was only done by the grace of God.''

Wieland finished in 173 hours and 45 minutes, marathon officials said. He said he slept only 11 hours since he began the route March 1.

In an emotional gathering in the middle of the street, a friend gave Wieland a trophy for ``most courageous athlete in America.'' He thanked his support team and the strangers who cheered for him as he slowly made his way along the route's sidewalks and streets.

It wasn't the first long hand-walk for Wieland, who lives in suburban Arcadia. He crossed the nation from California to Washington, D.C., over a period of three years, eight months and six days in 1982-86. He's also finished the New York City Marathon twice and the Ironman triathlon in Hawaii.

This was his third time finishing the Los Angeles Marathon, although it was his slowest time.

On the Net:

Wieland's Web site: http://mrinspiration.com

03/08/03 23:02 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Truly Remarkable Man.

I met Bob on I-70 near a place called Hagerstown, Md. This was in 1986 while making his way to DC from California. Bob lost his legs while serving with the 25th Inf Div in Vietnam. (Andy and Mortardude) He was trying to rescue a FNG who had been wounded. He didn't even know the young grunt. He stepped on a buried mortar, if I remember correctly, and lost both his legs. While going through St. Louis on his trip across the US a Vietnam Vet pulled over and started to talk with him as I did. It turned out to be the man he was trying to save. They had never met before this time. The man had no idea who Bob was until they talked. We spent about 3 hours along side the road talking. I used to have a picture the paper took of us but it has since disappeared. It was an experience I will always remember. What's real odd is about a week or so ago I started thinking about him again and what he was up to. I know now.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Exceptional finish for an exceptional man.

I saw the news video about Bob and it was exceptionally impressive that he persevered to the finish of the marathon and nearly as impressive that there was a good-sized crowd to cheer him on when he broke the finish ribbon. Damn, he looked mighty tuckered and tired out but in top spirits.

I?ve been feeling low over being forced into a new career because of series of nasty industrial accidents (Hydrogen sulfide poisoning plus lower body drenching/soaking with high-octane aviation gas). But after seeing what Bob can do, I have no problems aside from being a temporary whiney, candy-ass about things. At times it seems that the Good Lord grabs us by the stacking swivel, kicks our butts and lets have a good look at better men just so we get cracking again.

Scamp
Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Good Lord and my Mother , Seascamp. If my foot ever hurt and I told her she would remind me I should thank God I had a foot , not like Mr Jones down the street.Thinking about that I would realize she was right and I would thank God. I hope you feel better soon. We are all very lucky and blessed people
Old 03-10-2003, 12:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I saw an interview of him

What impressed me is what a good time he was having.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to deltamedic

It gives one pause or should anyway that no matter how badly we think we've got...somewhere, somewhere others are in far worse condition as to make our problems pale by comparison. It should also serve as a reminder to thank the Almighty for what you DO HAVE and to be humble in griping, moaning, groaning about out minute problems does it not?

Doc
Old 03-10-2003, 02:44 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

"At times it seems that the Good Lord grabs us by the stacking swivel, kicks our butts and lets have a good look at better men just so we get cracking again."

Iknow the feeling Scamp. I get kicked in the butt all the time by the Lord in this way.

These men and womenandthe little ones thathave such awesome intestinal fortitude in the face ofwhat seems to be insurmountable odds are Angels in disguise to all of us.

Ihave to tell you allthis story and Packo's follow upabsolutely blew me away. Iam choked up and got sumptin' inboth eyes...Sis

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-10-2003, 02:52 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Check this out, excerpt from his book:

Churches | Schools/Organizations | Businesses/Corporations

Excerpt #3 from the book(#1,#2,Get)
"ONE STEP AT A TIME"
(pg 23 / 61)
the remarkable true story of Bob Wieland

ALIVE

Dear Mom and Dad:
I'm in the hospital. Everything is going to be O.K. The people here are taking good care of me. It won't be that much of an adjustment. Please don't worry about me. Maybe I'll help you out in real estate.

Love,
Bob

P.S. I think I lost my legs!

A short time later I called the United States Powerlifting Championships representative and asked him for an update. When he asked me to wait a minute and put me on hold, I hoped for the best. Good, I said to myself. They're going to tell me my record stands. I was already thinking about the call I was going to make to Jackey to share the news, when the rep got back on the line: I'd been banned from competition forever!

Suddenly the phone seemed as heavy as a barbell. It seemed as if the closed door had slammed in my face. And yet-I had a peace about the entire situation. My years of dedication had been for a purpose, because god was-and always is-in control.

One day, many months after that phone call, I was watching ABC's "Wide open world of sports." They featured an extraordinary Canadian man, Terry Fox. Terry had lost a leg from cancer, yet he was valiantly walking across Canada. I was impressed. What Terry Fox was doing was not overnight. He prepared. He worked out. He fell down and picked himself back up. But Terry was meeting his goal by perseverance. He was well on his way across the country and was raising money for cancer research. I told Jacky about Terry.

One door had closed, it was true. But another would open soon. And again I prayed, "Here I am lord, send me."

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Verily...A REMARKABLE man!

Peace,Griz
Old 03-10-2003, 04:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default shook me...

...watching him cross that finish line just shook me...

...The man shows more courage in every step, more then I'll ever know...

...It makes me feel ashamed to say I'm "disabled"..........

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk