Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Band Rocks Out in Support of 'Wounded Warriors'

Band Rocks Out in Support of 'Wounded Warriors'

By Cpl. Lameen Witter / New York City Public Affairs

Lt. Dan Band vocalist Gina Gonzalez wails on the microphone as Gary Sinise chimes in while fingering his bass at a fundraising concert for the Wounded Warrior Project at the Bowery Ballroom Photo by: Cpl. Lameen Witter
NEW YORK, June 17, 2005 ? The screams and cheers of civilians, service members, and wounded veterans erupted from the Bowery Ballroom as actor Gary Sinise and his band, Lt. Dan Band, churned out classic rock gems at a fundraiser concert for the Wounded Warrior Project June 10.

The project seeks to assist service members who have been severely injured during conflicts in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan by helping their adjustment back into society. According to project representatives, many of the service members they help have suffered amputations, gunshot wounds, burns and blast injuries.

Sinise, renowned for his role as Lt. Dan in the movie Forrest Gump, where he played a Vietnam veteran wounded during battle, has always felt close to service members although he has never been one. So, when he learned of the Wounded Warrior Project and its goals, he wanted to do something to contribute to its efforts. Given the history of the band?s guitarist, Kimo Williams, an Army Vietnam veteran, and the band?s frequent interaction with troops, a fundraiser concert for the project seemed like an obvious choice, said Sinise.

?We just got back from a tour overseas. We?ve been all around the world playing for the troops and just trying to do our part. I just came back from the hospital in Bethesda and Walter Reed Medical. I?ve seen a lot of wounded soldiers and met a lot of these guys. They are extraordinary individuals that are doing extraordinary things. They?re tough and strong, and we need to back them up as much as we can,? said Sinise.

Peter J. Lebeau, executive director of the Soldiers?, Sailors?, Marines?, and Airmen Club (SSMAC), was also in attendance of the event and provided rooms at the club?s historic hotel for the wounded veterans and Wounded Warrior Project representatives that were in town for the show. The club is part of a coalition which works with amputees in conjunction with programs like the Wounded Warrior Project. Lebeau, a Vietnam veteran, said he takes pride in doing his part to help these valiant veterans of today and tries to honor their sacrifice.

?I think when they meet guys like me from a prior war?they say the guys from our war are their role models. When we came home we weren?t appreciated by the country. This time around, one of the big reasons I?m involved is to make sure the kids that are coming home do get a proper welcome, and we do tell how proud we are of them and the sacrifices they?ve made,? said Lebeau.

Lance Cpl. Timothy Johnson, a mortarman who fell victim to an improvised explosive device while in Iraq and now works with the Wounded Warrior Project, was one of the veterans who enjoyed SSMAC?s hospitality and the stylings of the Lt. Dan Band. The leatherneck, who still hasn?t fully recovered from his wounds, said the Wounded Warriors Project helped him get comfortable with his disability, and continuously brings veterans like himself to events to help ease the transition back into society.

?It?s really awesome to know that there are people out there that support you. It means a lot to us to know we have help,? said Johnson.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links