Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2008, 04:40 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Huuuuuuummmm
Indeed Griz
I never made it to the top, I guess that would be a "thank god"
Those in C&D company of 2/503 paid for that hill. Paid a lot.
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hill875a.jpg (68.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

Everything I ever read or heard from The Herd verifies what you say, Ron. The assault was 11/19.
43. MACARTHUR 1 November - 14 December 1967 Dak To / Kontum

On November 6th two companies from the 4th Battalion, 503d Infantry encountered elements of the NVA 66th Regiment on the Ngok Kom Leat chain of hills south of Ben Het. Seven Sky Soldiers fell from enemy bullets. On Veteran's Day Task Force Black made up of elements of C/1/503 and two platoons from D/1/503 were ambushed. American losses from the ambush were 20 killed, 154 wounded and 2 missing. PFC Barnes was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor because of this action.

On November 19, the 2/503d Infantry began climbing Hill 875. Companies C and D were hit with automatic weapons fire as they reached the first of two ridges. As the men moved up and spread out on line they came under fire by recoilless rifle fire and rifle grenades. A Company secured the rear when it came under intense attack by the NVA. PFC Carlos Lozada received the Congressional Medal of Honor for holding off the enemy while the remainder of the company made its way up the hill to join the rest of the battalion.

The enemy had prepared the battlefield extremely well. Hill 875 was no less than a fortress, with bunkers and trenches connected by tunnels. The underground bunkers had as much as two meters of overhead cover to protect their occupants from bombing and artillery, and slit gun ports opened onto excellent fields of fire. When the NVA infantry went on the attack, the soldiers were camouflaged and had prepared avenues of entry and withdrawal from the battlefield.

Chaplain Charles Watters was moving among the wounded men administering last rites when a jet fighter diving at over 300 miles per hour dropped a 500-pound bomb on the embattled battalion killing 42 troopers. He was also awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for this engagement.

On Thanksgiving Day the 4th Battalion assaulted up the hill with the remainder of the the 2nd Battalion, taking the peak at 1122. The capture of the Hill 875 marked the climax of the battle of Dak To. The 2nd battalion lost 107 men killed and 282 wounded and 10 MIA.

Peace,Griz
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Most accounts don't even have the 4th Inf there.
Only 2 platoons of A company stayed at the bottom to set up an LZ the other two platoons went up the hill with C&D companies of the 2/503.
On the way to relieve 2/503 the 4/503 was hit by American Artillery they had been walking in front of their column. 1/12 of the 4th inf arrived the same time as 4/503.
4/503 and what was left of 2/503 went up the eastern slope and 1/12 went up the southern slope.
Ron
Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Private First Class John Andrew Barnes III was recommended for the Medal of Honor
for throwing himself on a grenade to save the lives of wounded Skysoldiers and buddies.

According to author Edward F. Murphy (Dak To: America's Sky Soldiers in South Vietnam's Central Highlands) Lieutenant Colonel David J. Schumacher (1/503) refused to endorse the MOH recommendation on the grounds that "people who commit suicide should not get medals."

PFC Barnes got his MOH anyway.

Steve / 82Rigger

Last edited by 82Rigger; 12-09-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

About 1/2 way up the hill on the 19th C&D companies were cut in half by NVA, The lead company was taking fire from all directions. NVA came all night long. The whistles were weird. At night if you fired your weapon you would receive a bunch of return fire. So when you did fire you also moved from wear you were. we were there to prevent a flank and support the 2 platoons of A company. It turned out that Flank prevention was not necessary. They were all around . Nov 19th was hell, nov 20 was purgatory, at hells door.

Ron
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM

Very touching story. I'm really speechless. It seems like Vietnam really had an affect on the people who went there and fought. Some seeing more than others, but many still remembering what they saw. I'm sure there are many others out there who have the same thoughts as you, whether they have served in Vietnam, Iraq, or other wars and conflicts.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default All Wars

have one Universal Component. The survivors will remember it every single day for he rest of their lives. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packo View Post
have one Universal Component. The survivors will remember it every single day for he rest of their lives. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Pack
¨

Naw, there were days i was too drunk to remember. ;-)
Ron has the best memory of anyone here by far, you blow me away, Ron (figuratively) with your detailed memory
Stay good, James
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

James
Having a very good memory is ,most of the time, not a good thing.
I remember when I was 2 and killed a rat in the street in front of our house with a shovel. I remember visiting my older sisters kindergarten class. I remember a hole lot of my childhood and high school. I remember just about every day in Vietnam and for sure the scary ones. Along with a good memory my mother saved all my letters and had a big map of Vietnam which she marked were I was each time I moved. I would guess that my memory about Vietnam is no better than anyone else’s if they also had a mom that saved all there letters, if they took a lot of pictures and if they had a map that marked were they went. In Vietnam the memories are there and a lot of them are of just dumb stuff, Like when it started to rain and you had no shirt of, That rain was coooooold, like the rain hitting a poncho sounded just like the rain hitting a big leaf. And , I could get 5 rounds of a M-79 in the air before the first one hit the ground. You really don’t want a good memory of war, It's 12:45 in the morning and I am talking Vietnam, not sleeping.

Ron