The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War I

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default 25cm schwerer Minenwerfer n/A

The German Army had learned the lessons from the Russo‑Japanese war of 1904-05, where the Japanese used makeshift weapons to hurl explosive demolition charges to destroy enemy fortifications. Their material effect was just as good as the quality of the weapon, being zero all round. But the German observers must have had a shrewd idea what the effect might have been, had these weapons been constructed properly. Back in Germany the Fortress Pioneer Battalions began lobbying for the development of such weapons. By 1910 they were equipped with the first mortar, the heavy Ehrhardt. These were constructed for engaging enemy fortifications. The medium mortars, which followed shortly after that, were intended as fortification artillery.
When the front became stationary, and there was no sign of threat to the German cities, they were gradually moved up to the front. It is often said that the only military use of these mortars was to affect the enemy’s morale, but in trench warfare these guns could destroy a whole section of trench and were quite deadly. Their penetration was fierce, especially the heavy shells. As the Allied shelters were not too deep, being technically the force that was on the move to liberate, these shells were more than a match for their shelters.
In 1916 the artillery was reorganised. It was split in 2 forces. You had the basic artillery, each type of gun with its specific task, and the infantry artillery. By now the idea had set in that these mortars were no longer a pioneering tool to smash fortifications, but a weapon intended to support the infantry. They had a mixed role. During the artillery preparation before a battle they fell under the divisional artillery, and their mission was to clear barbed wire, smash enemy trenches or (shallow) dugouts and machine gun positions. This was only done by the heavy and medium mortars. When the moment of attack came, they were placed under the command of the various infantry divisions, and they followed closely after the first wave. Here their mission was to take out any strong points and to reduce resistance to dust. This was done by the light and medium mortars, as the heavies were too cumbersome to move. Towards the end of the war the organisation of an ‘Abteilung’ was normally four heavy guns and eight medium ones.
Schwerer 25cm Minenwerfer

This howitzer was intended for destroying fortifications. They were stationary, and only fired during the preparation. In 1916 a new version with a longer barrel entered service, however both the old and the new versions remained in service until the end of the war. They were also used in the uprising of 1919, but they were handed over to the allies under the Treaty of Versailles. These howitzers could fire a full shell, a half shell (which was, contrary to it’s name, not even half as effective), and a quarter shell. This shell was similar in size as the half size one. They were prone to premature detonation, and the cold weather made the barrel brittle, which increased this problem. The old gun could fire a full size shell up to 550 meters, and a half shell up to 800 meters. The new version could fire a full size shell up to 1000 meters. The full size weighed 97kg, and the half size weighed 60 kg. To my knowledge, these guns could only fire HE shells, and not gas shells. There was not much point to firing gas shells with the heavy mortar because the whole purpose of these guns was to fire large explosive charges with direct fuses, to do as much damage to the enemy as possible. This could not be done by the medium gun, so gas shells were restricted to the medium mortars.
The 25 heavy shell could penetrate as deep as 9 meters of earth, so anything but the deepest of dugouts were safe from its claws.
Calibre: 25cm
Barrel lenght in calibres: 3 (a/A) or 5 (n/A)
Weight: 660 kg (a/A) or 780 kg (n/A)
Range of fire: 563 m (a/A) or 1077 m (n/A)
Weight of shell: 97kg

These drawings are based on measurements and pictures taken in in the Koninklijk Belgisch Legermuseum in Brussels and the Wehrtechnisches Museum in Koblenz.

Schwerer 24cm Flügelminenwerfer "Iko"

Its name derived from the fact that its shells were winged (Flügel means wing). This weapon looks very much like a makeshift weapon, which it basically is. It consists of a barrel, sheets of iron and rail sleepers. They were cheaper and easier to produce than the 25cm Howitzer, and that probably is why they were used as a supplement to the 25cm howitzers. Their maximum range of fire is said to be 1000 meters, but according to the manual it is 1200 meters. The HE shell weighed nearly 100kg. It also could not fire gas shells.
Calibre: 24cm
Barrel length in calibres: 5,3
Weight: 590 kg
Range of fire: 1200 m
Weight of shell: 94kg

The drawings are based on measurements and drawings from a German field manual.

Mittlerer 17cm Minenwerfer

They could either fire shells that exploded upon impact to clear up barbed wire, or they could fire a shell with a delay fuse. The delay fuse was used to try and make it more suited to destroy trenches and dugouts. These shells could penetrate a few meters into the earth, before they exploded. This made them more powerful, but they lacked the force of impact of the 25cm gun. The medium gun could also fire gas shells at the enemy, which they did mainly during preparation. The HE shell weighed 50 kg, and the gas shell weighed 40 kg. After the artillery preparations, these guns followed the infantry into battle, mopping up strong points. A full train was moved across the field by 21 men. This consisted of one gun, and several infantry ‘Handkarren’. These could take 2 medium shells each.
Calibre: 17cm
Barrel lenght in calibres: 3,8 (a/A) or 4,5 (n/A)
Weight: 525 kg (a/A) or 586 kg (n/A)
Range of fire: 768 m (a/A) or 1160 m (n/A)
Weight of shell: 54,5 kg

These drawings are based on measurements and pictures taken in the Koninklijk Belgisch Legermuseum in Brussels, Hill 62 Museum near Yper, Wehrtechnisches Museum in Koblenz, Sachsisches Armee Museum in Dresden, Memorial de Verdun and the Imperial War Museum in Duxford.

For the drawings of these Minenwerfer I would like to thank my brother Bert for helping me to measure them.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links