The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Went to the Emergency room Sunday

Wow - its been a while since I felt that bad. Took my med's and 30 minutes later was in the emergency room feeling like death eating a cracker. Seems my niacin tablet gave me an acute reaction and all hell broke down in my body. Turned red and was swelling up and throat was closing off and very short of air - and loosing my ability to function. They gave me a cocktail in an IV and 3 hours later I was up again. Gave me 8 tablets of steroids and said have a good day.

That now makes pennicillin, keflex and now niacan. All three can take me out quickly. Wife couldn't drive me to the hospital and was freaking out when I walked to my car in my levis - t-shirt and slippers. Where you going she said - I said I'm going to the hospital I feel lilke crap and it was foggy and I nearly never made it there. Yep - the urge to live will make you do anything.

Better now and of course back on site with you all.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boats,....

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,...and in the vein of ex-CO once chewing out one of my counterparts
for inactivity during his foul-up and/or: "When the shit hits the fan do SOMETHING even if
it's wrong,...don't just stupidly sit around with your finger up your ass". Good advice.

Whatever, I and no doubt many others here Wish You Well & A Long Life,...and stay lucky.

Neil
Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

Boats - Glad to hear that you are OK now - You are a good man!!

Rick
Old 09-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Sounds like anaphylactic shock. It is a killer and can get much worse the next time. Having said that, it is interesting to have an allergy to niacin. It is an additive in a lot of food. Be sure and read labels to see if what you are about to eat contains nicacin additives.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Niacin:

Its the only thing that controls my wife's cholestral. All the expensive stuff didn't work so the Doc tried Niacin and it worked. I tried Niacin and it gave me hot flashes and the sweats. Large dosages will give that reaction the Doc said. Maybe you are allergic but took a few too many. I took two pills and I had hot flashes and the sweats. My wife takes five pills and it doesn't seem to bother her. It's Vitamin B3. Niacin NiacinMaybe its a guy thing.
Glad you are feeling better.

Keith
Old 09-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Default Your right Keith

I was taking them for my colestrol as well. I've taken a pill every night for about 8 months as my last blood work said I was a little over what I should be. But at the hospital the doctor told me it seems someone forgot to enlighten that I should take an asprin (325 mg) 30 minutes before I take this pill to prevent this reaction. Plus my dosage seemed a little too high to them so it may have been to large? Regardless I'm off of it now.

But for as long as I've been taking them this is the first time it reacted like it did. I will have to wait for my next VA blood workup coming up in Oct or Nov and see what my levels are at. Don't know if there is another substance that will take its place but I did get a bad reaction of which I nearly didn't make it in time to the hospital.

When I was shot long ago I was given 2500cc of pennicillin in the field and then those records were lost during transit and to the hospital and I was given another shot of equal dosage and this resulted in hives and another bad reaction. Hence no more of that med.

I was once given Keflex a high potent anti-biodic it resulted in flushing and panic moods each time I took it - so now I can't take that compound either.

It's amazing how these meds. Each person has limits or triggers that react to some changes in their bodies chemicals.

We all learn as time goes by but how many close calls can you have before you suddenly kill yourself taking meds that are prescribed by doctors. Side affects are big issues of which my wife reads in great detail. She has seen many mood changes and side affects from many of her meds as well. So I would suggest everyone read the side affects of the drugs they are given and to monitor themselves as best they can and react should you suddenly feel other than yourself. Go immediately to hospital or you may never see the light of another day.

I know that if I drink hard liquor it changes my personality and I get an ugly mean streak - whereas I can drink beer and have no problems at all. So each of us learns what affects us and its up to us to keep away from those issues that impact our way of life.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Keith,...

Your examples given (no doubt also experienced by many) why regarding cholesteral &
blood pressure problems have always asked doctor: "What else can I do besides taking so-
many-damn-pills"? "Never before have done so in my entire lifetime". "Plus, SO MANY side-
effects seem a-helluva-lot-worse than whatever ailing me". "Never mind what drugs are
being excessively hawked or pushed lately". "I'll gladly take you & yours out to din-din, instead".

Given alternatives like sensible eating, dieting, Baby Aspirins, Mega-3 Fish Oil, drinking
(becoming a red wino) & exercizing,...so far so good.
Can't do a quick twenty as quick as before. But, at least I still can.

Basically, everything deemed problematic keeps coming down, & after that 4 month blood
sucking & testing thingy, my pleased doctor tells me to: "Keep doing whatever you're doing".
Sure hope I stay lucky?

Neil
Old 09-27-2008, 07:56 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I take Niacin, too, but I look for the "non-flushing" Niacin. When I took the regular stuff, I'd turn all red and sweat like hell for about a half hour. And I take fish-oil, too. It's good for the old joints. I take garlic pills, too; good for the heart.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Glad to hear you are doing better ! Take care.

May God Bless !

Larry
Old 09-29-2008, 07:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Keep movin boats , glad you are doing better !