The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2004, 06:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The "Coffin Photographs" Controversy

Just wondering what you folks think of the current administration's policy of censoring photos of flag-draped coffins of our war dead.

Do you think that the photos are "insensitive" to the relatives' feelings? That's the administration's reasoning for the censorship.

Do you think those two people should have been fired for releasing the photos?

Steve / 82Rigger

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:01 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post If I was a president at war . . . . .

I wouldn't want the news photographing the coffins coming home. It would make for great press for any anti-war movement. And I'm sure there are issues concerning families and relatives desiring their privacy in mourning also. But we all know the news media doesn't honor anyone's privacy.

Keith
Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Coffin photos

Rigger, I have mixed feelings about it. First of all, ones reaction is based on different perspectives and experiences in life. Personally, I have no problem with displaying the photograph. Since we don't know who they are, it is not being insensitive to particular families. Secondly, I find it inspiring in an odd sort of way. Seeing those American flags draped over the coffins is actually reassuring to me. It is indicative that we have dedicated soldiers who died for the freedom of another country.

However, I do see where the DOD might want the photos to be restricted. Certain elements of this country will cease upon anything to discredit the current sitting president and his policies.

Those of you who have studied the American Civil War know there is precedent for this sort of "gag" rule. During the Overland Campaign from the beginning of the Battle of the Wilderness to June 18, 1864 at Petersburg, Grant lost 60,000 men. The election of 1864 was around the corner. The losses were so horrific that Grant refused permission for reporters to come into camp. He only trusted one, Sylvanius Cadwallader. He deliberately withheld casualty figures from Lincoln because he did not want the country or the president to grow despondent over the loss of life.

A while back, I posted a letter in the Civil War section about this very campaign. a letter from an adjutant in the 6th New York Heavy Artillery. He also predicted that there would be 60 thousand casualties in the letter which he wrote to his father.

The carnage then was unbelievable. We speak about 58 thousand deaths in Viet Nam over 10 years. Imagine 60,000 casualties in 2 months!! The north replaced the 60,000 with 40,000 fresh recruits. shortly thereafter through the draft. To put it in proper perspective, If we were to apply the % of losses in the Civil War to today's population there we would be 5 million casualties today if the same war was fought over again.

As I said, I feel kind of conflicted about this subject. but I do not think we are in the same position now that Grant was in and feel that the showing of the photos might actually grow support for our troops. At least they would be more sympathetic to them.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 04-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Bill

If we didn't have a spin oriented media it would be okay. But the media we and I suppose to a certain degree have always had will spin things to their liking.

I also have mixed feelings about the issue. But, I believe the press can be very harmful or very helpful depending on their attitude toward any particular situation.

Keith
Old 04-24-2004, 09:42 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I know where you are coming from Keith. However, wanna bet that that photo will also wind up in one of the many tributes to our soldiers that circulate on the internet on a regular basis. It is how the photo is used, not that it was taken.

Bill

King John 2.1.466