The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 AM
Doc.2/47

Default A Favorite Place

Thought I'd take a shot at shareing one of my favorite places with y'all.I'm afraid I don't have a way with words like Doc. Fred and some of you other folks have but believe I'll give it a shot anyway.It's a place that's given me a lot of gilt-edged memories over the years and it's just a little piece-maybe two miles-down the road;why don't we go there?We can be back by dinnertime.

We can get bout half way there on the main two-lane but now we gotta turn off on this little side road an cross the railroad tracks.Looks like it doesn't go much of anywhere does it?Easy now, lots of folks been killed on this stretch of railline.Hard to see and the trees absorb the sounds of the trains;sides,it's a narrow little thing winding through these houses an the children are apt to out playin in it likely as not.We ain't in no hurry anyway are we?

Turn on that gravel road with the wooden sign.Yep,says Cortner's Mill.Dead slow now,with these hills an turns we can't see far and if somebodies comin the other way we may have to get one set of wheels off in the weeds.

Stop a sec.That's the mill itself there.Don't look like much does it?Just a big ole woodframe buildin with a wide porch an a tin roof.Those are cedar logs holdin the porch roof up.Looks kinda old and weathered don't it?Well,reccon it's got a right to.Was built in the 1870's or 1880's,forget which.And don't go lettin looks fool ya,the inside of the thing is a whole nother story entirely.Been turned into a swank resteraunt and is about as fancy as they come.They're only open bout 2-3 times a week cause they only do group reservations.Been told the foods great but haven't ever tried it.I ain't no group.

See this clear cut field off to our left?A fellah gets 2-3 rolls of hay off it a year,but I'm pretty sure they keep it cut mostly for looks.In the springtime it's a pure wonder.Wild flowers of evey color you can think of roll right down to the trees on the riverbank.No tellin how old that stone wall that borders the field is.Mighta seen Gen. Lee's boys back when they passed through here.

Ease on down the hill now, but don't go gettin excited or we'll end up in the river.You can pull right to the edge of the water;this used to be a ford.That's good.Why don't ya let the engine rest a spell?

This here's the Duck River.This section flows outta the bottom of Normandy Dam bout five miles upstream.Since the water comes from the bottom of Normandy Lake it's cold and that's the reason for the thick mist you see hangin over the water.It'll finally burn off well on up into the day but it'll be back as soon as the sun gets down behind the hilltops.Not the biggest river there ever was,or the deepest,but ain't she pretty with those big ole hardwoods hangin out over her like that?Looks like their're tryin to touch an just can't quite reach.If you'll look to the right,upstream tword the dam you'll see that the mill hangs way out over the water.They've got a millwheel they can let down into the millrace or pull up outta the way as the notion takes them.They've got doors on the upsteam end of the millrace they can use to control the flow but these days they mostly leave the doors open and the wheel up.Not a hugh dam.Maybe 12-14 foot tall.Might be 40-50yds. long but does the job.Nice pool at the base of the dam,most of the time you can wade almost half of it without getting over waist deep but there are some deep holes.Then,as it comes downstream,it shallows and gets swift.Right in front of us it's not much over knee deep all the way across most of the time, then it splits around the oblong island just downstream.

See that balcony lookin thing high up on the back of the mill?Folks come out on that of an evening after eating to raise a glass or just watch the mist rise on the river while their supper settles.Late one evening it was getting dark and bout time to go home but I decided to make one last cast to the dam and-sure enough-tied into a real nice trout.He made a run and then jumped like he was tryin to climb right up into the sunset and the water he threw off made a rainbow around him.Heard a fella say "Wow!" from the direction of the balcony.Well, I was useing real light tackle so I couldn't just horse the fish on in so the fight lasted quite awhile and I guess he jumped another 3-4 times and every time he did I'd hear folks talkin on the balcony but couldn't really make out what they were sayin over the sound of the water comin over the dam.Finally landed the fish(real nice but no monster) and when I looked up at the balcony there were 6 or 8 men and women in suits and evening gowns clappin their hands.Fella in a tux. raised his glass an said:"Here,here!"Didn't know wether to shit or go blind.Never had a standing ovation for catching a fish before.Just kinda gave em a wave an headed for the truck.Back near the truck I turned the fish loose.Already had enough for supper.

Well, I could tell fish tales till the cows come home but I know you need to be gettin on back.This is the spot I come to when I get to feelin like a size 12 foot in a size 8 shoe.Now that you know where it is you're welcome anytime you get to feelin the same way.You give my regards to your loved ones and you take care now.

Me?Believe I'll just set here a spell.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2003, 09:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Doc , the Harley , a tent , some fishing poles and me will be up in April to help keep those fish under controll. Good visit , thanks.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Someone's been hidin'their candle under a basket.You've been to long in sharingyour gift with us. I not only read what you wrote but saw the whole sceneplayed out in my imagination. It was like a cool drink of water to my spirit.I love to read and that my friend is one of the best pieces I have ever read. Thank you. Come back again and giveus more

Arrow>>>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-04-2003, 10:11 AM

The way you wrote was impressive. I almost felt like I was there. Thanks for sharing.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-04-2003, 10:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hal :

Ya done good. Thanks for sharing !!

Larry
Old 12-04-2003, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up DOC

Thanks for takin' me to "your spot." It is pretty. Enjoyed the walk, the peace and quiet of it and, most of all, the company. Great fish story and hope to hear many more.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks Doc

Like my old Grandad used to say....................

"Give a young boy a fish...............
feed him for a day.......................
Teach a young boy how to fish...
feed him for life".........................

Thanks for sharing part of your "life" with us!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:55 PM

Doc,
Sure sounds nice right about now. I would love to walk barefoot on the banks of that mill pond. You have a very nice way of painting a picture with your words.

Here in Upstate NY we're "fixin" to cook ourselves up a right fine Nor'Easter tomorrow night. Looking at a possible 6" of snow to fall down in Manhattan and New Jersey. I bet the NJ grocery stores are all out of milk, eggs, and bread by now.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 12-05-2003, 06:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Terrific story

Thanks Doc
the way you tell it is great

james
Old 12-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Doc.2/47

Dang!I was pretty sure that I'd run off at the mouth so long that nobody'd manage to stay awake long enough to finish the thing.Glad-and grateful-to find out I was wrong.Sure do preciate the kind words.

John-
You're welcome to come and stay a week or three anytime you take the notion and we are expecting you in April.Unless you've accuired a fondness for frostbite (can still get a bit airesh in April at night),don't know why you'd want to lug along a tent.We got a spare cot in our hooch.

Ever been to the Jack Daniels distillery?Since it will be necessary for you to meet my CO(Nancy),we might want to consider a trip by there first.

Dragon Lady-
Nancy is originally from Seracuse or some such place in upstate NY.She's been down here around 30yr. or so an we STILL ain't been able to teach the woman the right way to say "dog" and "water".Y'all got a problem with the water or some such up there?