Old 09-18-2003, 06:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool 'Band of Brothers' includes a sister

'Band of Brothers' includes a sister
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification Number: 200391883339
Story by Lance Cpl. Jennifer Brofer

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(Sept. 19, 2003) -- "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother," wrote William Shakespeare in Henry V.

This verse is often used to help describe the bond that is shared between all Marines, past and present. It also carries a special meaning for one recruit who chose to follow in her two older brothers' footsteps and become a Marine.

Recruit Laurel Johnson, Platoon 4029, November Co., 4th RTBn., has two brothers who are band members in the Marine Corps, as well as two sisters-in-law in the band. One might think that having played the flute and saxophone in the high school band, Johnson would have joined the Marines for the same military occupational specialty as her brothers. However, being the "black sheep" in the family, she strayed off the path of music to enlist in a field that interested her more-Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC).

"It was one of the only MOS's that had anything to do with science, and it's such a big thing right now," said the 18-year-old Athens, Mich., native. "I think everything about chemical warfare is interesting, so I wanted to learn more about it."

Though she said her brothers were proud of her decision to join the Marines, one of them was a little more than shocked to hear about her choice of MOS.

"When I heard she was in the [delayed entry program] I asked, 'Really? What for?'" said Sgt. Jacob Johnson, Laurel's brother and trumpet player for the Albany Marine Band. "When she told me NBC, I nearly fell out of my seat."

Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical, which deals with detecting and reporting biological and chemical agents, is a world apart from playing an instrument, but Johnson said he is still pleased that his little sister chose to become a Marine.

"I'm extremely proud of her," he said. "When I first joined the Marine Corps, I had no idea that any of my siblings would be so adamant in following in my footsteps."
Laurel said she became adamant after seeing the look of pride her brother's eyes when he graduated.

"I saw how they changed when they came back," she said. "They were more disciplined, and they carried themselves better. I wanted to have the pride that they showed."

The feeling of pride wasn't the only reason Johnson wanted to join the Marines.

"I have had several family members in the Marines, but no females, and I wanted to be the first," she said, adding that her younger sister, Miranda, hopes to join the Marines as well when she graduates high school in two years.

Johnson's journey to become one of "the few, the proud" had its setbacks. She failed to qualify on the rifle range the first time, and she was dropped from Papa Co. to
November Co., where she learned to see the bright side of the experience.

"I'm almost really glad I got dropped," she said. "I've had twice the number of drill instructors and twice the amount of experience. If I had barely pulled through [marksmanship training platoon], I don't think I would've been satisfied with that. Now I feel a lot more confident in my shooting abilities."

Since Johnson, the middle of five children, had two older brothers join the Corps before her, her mother wasn't all that surprised in her decision to join as well.

"She was proud of me, but she kind of expected it," said Johnson. "For her, it was like 'Well, three down, two to go.'"

"I'm very proud of all three of them," said Sandi Bennett, Laurel's mother. "I think being in the Marine Corps will give them a level of maturity and leadership ability that other people their same age won't have."

Bennett also said that even though there is the threat of her children being in a combat situation, she has confidence that they can handle themselves for whatever may arise.

"I know the Marine Corps is training their people to be the best at what they do," Bennett added. "It doesn't matter what their MOS is. They are very well trained and they're going to go out there and do their best."

Johnson knows of the dangers, but that does not matter to her. She said she just wants to do something "outside the norm" while serving her country.

"It's important in times like these where military members are fighting, in war time, for people to volunteer to serve their country," added Johnson.

Even through all the hard times in training, she always kept her eyes on the prize and remembered why she came to the Depot.

"Just knowing in the end I'll be a Marine ... when I get that Eagle, Globe and Anchor I'll be proud, thrilled, ecstatic ... all the good emotions bundled up into one," she said.

For Johnson, the true meaning in the words "Band of Brothers" was discovered when her brothers ran alongside her in the 3.2-mile motivation run on Family Day Thursday, welcoming her into the Marine Corps family. Now she can proudly serve her country, just like her brothers, except with a gas mask instead of a musical instrument.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links