The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default BOHICA!--Re-visited!

(Bend Over here It Comes Again)

An old friend of mine from North Carolina (Ray B. Davis) says in his latest comments from the "Veterans Resource Network" just what I've been saying all along.

Take a look for yourselves!

#####

VETERANS RESOURCES NETWORK

Dear Readers,

Below is an article from militaryupdate.com (see their link at the bottom) wherein Rep. Steve Buyer, Chairman of the House Veterans Committee puts the blame for the governments money problems ON THE VETERAN AND MILITARY RETIREE's. ---

Are you service connected? you won't be for long! ---

Are you in the military and injured while on active duty? you will get nothing ! ---

Military Retired, say bye bye to your concurrent pay !---

Rep. Buyer, QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE BELOW: "He said he wouldn't want to assure current veterans with disability ratings that they will be excluded from commission recommendations ." Rep. Buyer blames the VA medical money problems on the Old warriors coming into the system; rather than his own actions, and President Bush's cutting taxes for all their wealthy friends. And running up War debts .

War is needed sometimes, but it is the height of arrogance to think you can win any war easy and have it cost nothing. Instead of paying what's owed, President Bush has his Congressional partners shaft the veterans and current military people. If the President and Congress want to make War, they need to step-up like Men, and say they will honor their obligations to the Military and veterans and raise taxes if needed to pay for the War and other obligations.

SEE complete article below my name.

Also look for two new websites in coming days:

http://www.stevebuyer.net and,

http://www.stevebuyer.info

When these links become active, share them with all your friends.

Rep. Steve Buyer does not deserve the honor of being a congressman, and over the next two years Veterans Resources Network will do everything we can to see he is not re-elected.

Write to Rep. Buyer at:

http://stevebuyer.house.gov//

Washington, DC 2230
Rayburn HOB Washington, DC 20515

Tel: (202) 225-5037
Fax: 202-225-2267

Fax Rep. Veterans Committee: 202-225-5486

Fax Dem. Veterans Committee: 202-225-2034

Your Editor,

Ray B Davis, Jr. http://www.valaw.org

#######

ARTICLE and REP. STEVE BUYER -- By Tom Philpott

Published March 13, 2005

Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Ind., is the new chairman of House Veterans Affairs Committee. He says the medical and rehabilitation needs of a new generation of war vets leave him more certain than ever that Congress erred in 1996, when it opened VA health care to any vet willing to pay modest fees. "While some veterans' organizations like to create a theme, that 'a veteran is a veteran, (and) there is no difference,' I disagree," he said.

A decade ago - in the wake of the Persian Gulf War, which saw relatively few U.S. casualties - the Veterans Affairs Department went back to worrying about an aging patient population and underused VA clinics and hospitals, Buyer said. Those concerns, along with wishful thinking about VA billing employer-provided insurance plans for the cost of care, led Congress to open VA sites to vets neither poor nor disabled, he said. Time has shown that as a mistake, Buyer said. Today, VA has $3 billion in "uncollected debt" for health care rendered, which insurance companies haven't paid. "And we find ourselves now in protracted wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - and the war on terror all over the world.

So the sense from 1996 that we could open up the VA to protect the bricks and mortar because of a declining population of veterans," Buyer said, has been replaced by "the reality that we have more veterans now that have to come into the system."

Buyer's comments occurred in an interview for this column.
The interview was days after his committee voted to impose an enrollment fee of $230 to $500 a year on 2.4 million vets in priority categories 7 and 8 - those who aren't poor and have no service-connected disability.

In January, Republican leaders removed Rep. Christopher Smith, R- N.J., as committee chairman. They said he was too close to veterans' groups, too supportive of expanding benefits and too dismissive of Bush administration plans to slow VA spending and impose fees on low- priority vets. New chairman Buyer, 46, is a blunt-spoken attorney and Citadel graduate, deployed in the Gulf War as an Army Reserve lawyer.

With oversight responsibility now for the second-largest department in government, Buyer said, he has three short-term priorities: Refocus VA health care on its "core constituency" of service- disabled, indigent and special-needs vets; Develop a "seamless transition" process for vets moving from active duty to VA care. So far, more than 10,000 have been wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, and as many as 100,000 could have post-traumatic stress disorder, Buyer said. "The VA needs to prepare to receive them"; and Improve VA rehabilitation and vocational training to ensure that even the most severely injured vets return to rewarding lives. "For a lot of years," Buyers said, "it was, 'Here's your check. Good luck in your life. And if you find it in a bottle, we'll try to get you in a program.' I want the system to be far more personal."

Buyer also said : He expected a new bipartisan Veterans' Disability Benefits Commission, which will conduct its first meeting soon, to review whether Congress went too far on allowing concurrent receipt of military retirement and VA disability payments. Buyer said that as chairman of the House subcommittee on military personnel a few years ago, he "found $25 million" to lift the concurrent receipt ban only for 100 percent combat-disabled retirees. "Little did I realize that my care and concern would be so enveloped" by politics, he said, and the ban quickly lifted to benefit a few hundred thousand retirees, many having no combat-related disability.

He expected the commission to consider whether to change the way that disability ratings were set or to tighten the definition of "service- connected" injuries or ailments. "There is something bothersome in the system where you can have a soldier blow out his knee from a roadside bomb and end up with a disability that's the same as a guy who blew out his knee sliding into home plate at church-league softball on Sunday," Buyer said. "Is that the type of disability system that is just and fair?" He wouldn't want to assure current veterans with disability ratings that they would be excluded from commission recommendations. "I think everything should be on the table," he said.

He wants to offer lump-sum payments to vets with disabilities rated 20 percent or less, as settlement of all future compensation claims. "Part of the problem is there's gamesmanship in the system, whereby (veterans) consistently - over their lifetimes - keep reapplying for their ratings, trying to get bumped up higher and higher," Buyer said.......

(What's the matter with this idiot!..............Dosen't he realize that certain "disabilities" worsen and increase in their degree of pain & suffering with old age???....Surely he can't be THAT stupid, or can he???????..........Editorial comment by the Gimpster).......

Veterans' organizations argued that all vets earned the right to VA health care, using what Buyer called inflammatory rhetoric to knock proposals to raise fees on nonpoor, nondisabled vets.

The groups are abandoning values like duty and sacrifice under which vets served, he suggested. Buyer said that's why, during a recent VA budget hearing, he asked representatives of veterans' groups where they took their military oaths. "I asked them to be very careful with the words they select because ... they have an impact all over the country," he said.

He also cautioned them, he said, because "it is upsetting to me when someone refers to veterans as 'whiny.' That's very upsetting to me." Buyer didn't say who referred to vets as "whiny."

Write Military Update,
P.O. Box 231111,
Centreville, VA 20120-1111;
e- mail milupdate@aol.com;
or visit www.militaryupdate.com. http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...4851766.story?
coll=dp-news-local-final

###

Veterans Resources Network
http://www.valaw.org
Ray B Davis Jr
P.O. Box 68
East Flat Rock, NC 28726
http://valaw.org http://veteransresources.net

Get ready my friends........................Bush & Company are getting ready to "dismantle" the VA as we know it!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default STARS & STRIPES COMMENTS

Below you will find an article from the Stars & Stripes newspaper commenting on the meeting held recently before the House Veterans Affairs Committee and the new asshole of a commitee chairman, Steve Buyer!

A campaign to have him "ousted" as committee chairman is underway as we speak!

###########

STARS & STRIPES COMMENTS!

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Disabled veterans protest budget proposal for health care

By Leo Shane III,

Stars and Stripes European edition,

Thursday, March 10, 2005 WASHINGTON

? Hundreds of disabled veterans booed and jeered Republican House members on Tuesday for their budget proposal for veterans' health care, which critics call inadequate to deal with the future needs of current troops. Following testimony before a pair of congressional committees by officials from the Disabled American Veterans, or DAV, the crowd of more than 400 wounded and disabled veterans cheered House members who criticized the president's budget plans and heckled representatives who defended the spending.

The loudest heckling was reserved for House Veterans' Affairs chairman Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Ind ., who was criticized by Democrats on the committee and rebuked the crowd at one point by saying "where the river is the shallowest, it makes the most noise ."

(So now we can have politicians calling honorable, disabled vets "SHALLOW" huh?? Sounds like Mr. Buyer is kinda like his boss at the Whitehouse, huh? If you disagree with him he will use character assassination and intimidation in retaliation........editorial comment by Gimp)

The proposed 2006 budget includes a 1.1 percent increase for the Department of Veterans Affairs, which officials from the DAV called too little to deal with the large number of servicemembers expected to return from Iraq and Afghanistan with missing limbs, mental illnesses and other service injuries. In addition, the budget would require veterans without combat injuries and who make more than $25,000 a year to pay a $250 enrollment fee to use department health services. James Sursely, national commander of the DAV, which calls itself the voice of service-connected disabled veterans, said he wants to see an additional $3.4 billion added to the budget for veterans' medical care, and see the new fees removed.

But Republicans on the committee have already forwarded their budget proposals to House officials, and they include an enrollment fee and only slight funding increases. Rep. Bob Filner, D-Calif., called Buyer and his supporters hypocrites for scheduling Tuesday's hearing without any intention of considering the veterans' budget concerns. "This budget is an insult to our troops and to you," he told the crowd, who responded with a standing ovation. "This is unconscionable." Rep. Corrine Brown, D-Fla., called promises made by Republicans "frankly a lot of [expletive]," and was quickly censured by Buyer as the crowd roared in approval.

Army Sgt. Tyler Hall, a 24-year-old Alaskan who lost part of his left leg in an improvised explovsive device blast in August, said he attended Tuesday's hearing to learn more about the legislative process and see how he can help other soldiers like himself. "The number of disabled vets is growing, so this affects us quite a bit," he said. "You almost automatically go into the VA hospitals, so we need to make sure the care is there.

#### END ####

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 03-16-2005, 06:22 PM

Category 7 and 8! That means people who are not poor, who can afford their own medical care (and just why in the hell shouldn't they have a co-pay) or those WHO DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY! Come on Gimster......the people in those categories are NOT ENTITLED to anything. They are going along for a free ride. Why the hell should my tax money pay for VA disabilities for someone who makes more money than I do and who'se "Disabilities" are caused by their life style? How about all those fat bastages out there that did a couple of years in uniform and then spent the next 40 years shoveling food into their faces until their arteries are clogged with deposits and they have bad tickers and diseases brought on by obesity. Should they be "Entitled" when they didn't put in the time to retire? Your argument is the typical Democrat smoke screen. Scream and rant about something that makes perfectly good sense so that people will believe that it is unfair. I guess you're in favor of giving Social Security bennies to all the illegal aliens who have entered the country.

Bottom line is.......if you aren't poor....you are stuck with co-pay.
If your aillment isn't "Service Connected" ....co-pay!
If your disabilities are "Service Connected" .....you still get the full benefits. If you meet the "Poverty" criteria......nothing changes...you still get coverage without co-pay.

Why the outrage Gimpy....are you ticked off because your 3 years in uniform doesn't entitle you to a free ride any more?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph Category 7 and 8! That means people who are not poor, who can afford their own medical care (and just why in the hell shouldn't they have a co-pay) or those WHO DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY! Come on Gimster......the people in those categories are NOT ENTITLED to anything. They are going along for a free ride. Why the hell should my tax money pay for VA disabilities (take it up with your Republican friends.....they passed it! Gimp ) for someone who makes more money than I do and who'se "Disabilities" are caused by their life style? Should they be "Entitled" when they didn't put in the time to retire?

Yes they are.......according the Republican Congress of 1996 that passed the "The Veterans Health Care Reform Act of 1996", or are you unaware that this is now the "LAW" as it stands ???

Your argument is the typical Democrat smoke screen. Scream and rant about something that makes perfectly good sense so that people will believe that it is unfair. (Nope...you got some Republicans raising hell also----Gimp) I guess you're in favor of giving Social Security bennies to all the illegal aliens who have entered the country. (Nope......I'm NOT in favor of that------Gimp)

Why the outrage Gimpy....are you ticked off because your 3 years in uniform doesn't entitle you to a free ride any more?
You and your kind just don't get it, do you Smurph??

BTW..........my "three years" seems to be what you and many of the "lifers" like you are so damned angry about anyway. I wasn't aware that there was a "time limit" or "length of service" criteria that prevented someone getting shot to $hit or blown-tha-f--k-up just as bad as someone who spent twenty or more years in the military???

Are you aware of some "qualifier" other than taking the same f--king "oath" to serve and defend this country and the requirements set by the VA as they are now stated????

If you DO.........please report them to all of us.........will ya, we'd REALLy like to know what the hell they are, OK???

And...............one more thing there Smuphy baby. I do not get a "FREE RIDE"----------Like I've SHOWN you on this board before......Ive E-A-R-N-E-D my GD benefits.........Did you????

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 03-17-2005, 02:09 AM

"My kind" do get it Gimpy....we're on to the DNC bull crap! Yes Gimpy I earned my bennies! I also stayed in and retired.
You have a Purple Heart Gimpy, which entitles you to medical care for disabilities caused by that wound......there's no where that you can show me that the Army told anybody that they'd be eligible for a lifetime of free medical just because they put on a uniform. Old age isn't service connected Gimpy.....so they won't pay for your senility.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by colmurph "My kind" do get it Gimpy....we're on to the DNC bull crap! Yes Gimpy I earned my bennies! I also stayed in and retired.
You have a Purple Heart Gimpy, which entitles you to medical care for disabilities caused by that wound......
No................You're WRONG again there Smurph!

If you're going to attempt to debate an issue you should REALLY learn more about the "subject matter", ya know.??

All you right-wing, radical extremeists fanatics like to do is bitch and whine about something you have absolutely no knowledge about or comprehension of.

I get ALL my health FREE OF CHARGE...........ALL OF IT!....EVERYTHING I NEED...........FOR ANYTHING! Cause that's the way it's set up for 100% Permanent & Total. Not JUST for "that wound" you dingbat.........for ANYTHING!

I did not even USE the VA health care system when I was working and making a living for more than 30 years! Not even AFTER I retired on disability and continued to use my firms private medical insurance.

When I finally was awarded my 100% disability in 1999 after nearly THREE freakin years of appeals and it was backdated to 1996 is when I started using the VA as my "primary" medical care provider!

So.........don't sit there with your little condescending, immature and "Holier Than Thou" attitude and try and say me or anyone else is getting something they damn well don't DESERVE if you don't have the "facts" to back up that idiotic statement!

You're just like your "hero" Gee-Freakin-W, open mouth........insert foot! Before you even know what-the-hell you're talkin about!

FYI--------------Not that it'll do you any good.........I doubt your "attention span" is long enough to comprehend this information!

From the Department of Veterans Affairs web Site:

http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/home/hecmain.asp

All Veterans are Potentially Eligible

Eligibility for most veterans? health care benefits is based solely on active military service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard (or Merchant Marines during WW II), and discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

Reservists and National Guard members who were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order may qualify for VA health care benefits. Returning service members, including Reservists and National Guard members who served on active duty in a theater of combat operations have special eligibility for hospital care, medical services, and nursing home care for two years following discharge from active duty.

Health Care eligibility is not just for those who served in combat.

Other groups may be eligible for some health benefits.

Veteran?s health care is not just for service-connected injuries or medical conditions .

Veteran?s health care facilities are not just for men only. VA offers full-service health care to women veterans.

Priority Description

Priority 1:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 50% or more disabling, or
Veterans determined by VA to be unemployable due to service-connected conditions

Priority 2:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 30% or 40% disabling

Priority 3:

Veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 10% or 20% disabling

Veterans who are former POWs

Veterans awarded the Purple Heart

Veterans whose discharge was for a disability that began in the line of duty

Veterans who are disabled because of VA treatment or participation in VA vocational rehabilitation program

Priority 4:

Veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits (on pension) from VA

Veterans who have been determined by VA to be catastrophically disabled

Priority 5:

Veterans receiving VA pension benefits

Veterans who are eligible for Medicaid programs

Veterans with income and assets below VA Means Test Thresholds

Priority 6

Veterans with 0% service-connected conditions, but receiving VA compensation

Veterans seeking care only for disorders relating to Ionizing Radiation and Project 112/SHAD

Veterans seeking care for Agent Orange Exposure during service in Vietnam

Veterans seeking care for Gulf War Illness or for conditions related to exposure to Environmental Contaminants during service in the Persian Gulf

Veterans of World War I or the Mexican Border War

Veterans who served in combat in a war after the Gulf War or during a period of hostility after November 11, 1998 for 2 years following discharge or release from the military

Priority 7:

Veterans who agree to pay specified copayments with income and/or net worth above VA Means Test threshold and income below the Geographic Means Test Threshold

Subpriority a: Noncompensable 0% service-connected veterans who were enrolled in VA Health Care System on a specified date and who have remained enrolled since that date

Subpriority c: Nonservice-connected veterans who were enrolled in VA Health Care System on a specified date and who have remained enrolled since that date

Subpriority e: Noncompensable 0% service-connected veterans not included in Subpriority a above. VA is not currently using Subpriority e.

Subpriority g: Nonservice-connected veterans not included in Subpriority c above. VA is not currently using Subpriority g.

Priority 8:

Veterans who agree to pay specified copayments with income and/or net worth above VA Means Test threshold and the Geographic Means Test Threshold.

Subpriority a: Noncompensable 0% service-connected veterans enrolled as of January 16, 2003 and who have remained enrolled since that date

Subpriority c: Nonservice-connected veterans enrolled as of January 16, 2003 and who have remained enrolled since that date

Subpriority e: Noncompensable 0% service-connected veterans applying for enrollment after January 16, 2003

Subpriority g: Nonservice-connected veterans applying for enrollment after January 16, 2003

Priority Scheduling for Service-Connected Veterans

VA will provide you priority access to care if you are a veteran who:

Needs care of a service-connected disability or

Are 50 percent service-connected or higher and need care for any condition

##############

So wake up out of that hate-mongering, radical right-wing propaganda spewing stupor you're in there Smurph and try and "learn" what the hell you're talkin about before you go and OPEN your big mouth, OK.

Otherwise you'll just continue to look as stupid as you SOUND!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default More Bull$hit from Buyer!

Rep. Steve Buyer (R- Indiana) the new Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committeewould take the money off a dead man's eyes.

Below, Rep. Steve Buyer (R. 4th district IN) the Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee is up to his old tricks of BEING TO BIG FOR HIS BRITCHES! --

This time he opposed the increase in Life Insurance for our military forces on a retroactive basis , if the military person had not elected to have the insurance earlier.

Rep. Buyer, does not take into account that at the time, the military person did not have the option of the higher amount; before the Wars began very few hostile casualties were occurring; the pay of low ranking military people is so low that some are on food stamps, and they could not afford to pay premiums, and feed their family? And lastly all of the people helped by the retroactive parts of the benefits: are DEAD, and their families need the money.

NOTE from first article: "Buyer, however, was unhappy with the bill's provisions. In a floor speech, he vowed to hold hearings on the expanded benefits in April. And he complained that neither the Department of Veterans Affairs nor the House Veterans' Affairs Committee were consulted. Why, Buyer asked, should Congress authorize retroactive insurance coverage for service members who declined coverage and did not pay premiums?"

PORK BUYER: But, Rep. Buyer is never opposed to PORK BARREL funding when it puts some contributions into his campaign war chest;

Below find a second article about His home town, One section reads: "Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Monticello, whose clout increased this year when he became chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, increased his funding from $14 million to $20 million. Buyer directed most of that toward improving access into Indiana Beach, the amusement park in his hometown of Monticello. Buyer also directed $5.6 million toward a road project at Purdue University."

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/228449-5605-010.html

###########

CQ TODAY March 15, 2005.

House Appropriators Tell New Veterans' Chairman They Call the Shots

By Anne Plummer. CQ Staff.

Steve Buyer, freshly elevated by House Republican leaders to head the Veterans' Affairs Committee, was put on notice during floor debate Tuesday not to flex his muscle when dealing with the Appropriations Committee. "We can either do this my way or we don't," Appropriations Chairman Jerry Lewis, R-Calif., snapped at Buyer, intervening in a heated exchange over death benefits between the Indiana Republican and Democratic appropriator David R. Obey of Wisconsin.

The fiscal 2005 supplemental spending bill (HR 1268), currently containing $81.4 billion, would increase military death benefits. But at Buyer's request, the Rules Committee initially recommended leaving the death benefit provisions vulnerable to a procedural objection on the floor that could knock them out of the bill. By the time Tuesday's floor debate began, House GOP leaders had done an about-face.

Tom Cole, R-Okla., a member of the leadership-dominated Rules panel, offered an amendment to the rule for floor debate on the supplemental spending bill that would waive "points of order" against sections that would increase life insurance coverage for military personnel to $400,000 from $250,000 and boost the "death gratuity" to $100,000, from $12,420. "Sometimes these issues take a little time to work out," Cole said, adding, "I'm glad that in the end we were able to act in the best interests of our brave men and women in uniform who certainly deserve these increased benefits."

Democrats and aides said the Republicans agreed to change course after several lawmakers threatened to make the rule endangering the military benefits the focus of Tuesday's debate. Increased death benefits for military personnel have become a popular cause on both sides of the aisle as the war in Iraq continues.

Buyer, however, was unhappy with the bill's provisions. In a floor speech, he vowed to hold hearings on the expanded benefits in April. And he complained that neither the Department of Veterans Affairs nor the House Veterans' Affairs Committee were consulted.

Why, Buyer asked, should Congress authorize retroactive insurance coverage for service members who declined coverage and did not pay premiums? He also opposed language requiring service members to obtain their spouse's concurrence on insurance coverage decisions.

But it was Buyer's description of a portion of the bill championed by Obey and adopted by the Appropriations Committee that sparked the most contentious exchange. The provision would extend the increased death benefits to any personnel on active duty, including those killed in training accidents. Buyer said he supports the bill's original language, which would have limited payments to "those who died in the performance of duty" and would not have covered other types of death.

Obey told Buyer to "get his facts straight" and stop characterizing his provision as restrictive. He also said the Appropriations Committee has full authority to deal with military benefits. "I make no apologies that the Appropriations Committee may have been stepping on his toes," Obey said.

. "I'm not going to play games with you, Mr. Obey," Buyer responded.

That drew Lewis into the fray. The chairman said he would look into the issue before the supplemental spending bill goes to conference with the Senate. When Buyer tried to pipe up again, Lewis cut him off and warned him that it was his approach or no approach.

http://www.cq.com

#######

article two

###

Bill helps Indiana highway funds But the 6-year transportation bill approved by house lessens gas returns.

By Maureen Groppe Gannett News Service

March 11, 2005 WASHINGTON --

Indiana would continue to send more money to Washington in federal gas taxes than it gets back in transportation funding under a six-year transportation bill the House approved Thursday. The state's funding would increase primarily because Congress has boosted spending overall. But Indiana would be guaranteed to receive only 90.5 cents for every dollar it pays in gas taxes. State officials had hoped to boost that rate of return.

But Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Tom Sharp said he told Indiana lawmakers to support the bill because it is more than a year overdue, which is causing project delays.
"At this point in time, we're happy to go with that and we hope we're going to get a little bit more (as the bill moves through Congress)," Sharp said.

The Senate needs to pass its version of the bill, which must then be reconciled with the $284 billion House bill. Sharp said he also is pleased that Indiana's percentage funding increase for highways in the House bill would be one of the largest in the nation -- a 37 percent increase of $1.4 billion. Indiana's lawmakers -- all of whom voted for the bill -- promised to work for a higher gas tax return rate. But finding more money to help "donor" states like Indiana without hurting other states could be tough, particularly because President Bush has threatened to veto any bill that costs too much.

Nearly half of the more than $230 million included in the bill for specific road and transit projects in Indiana goes to only two of the state's nine congressional districts -- the two represented by members of the transportation committee that wrote the bill.

Rep. Julia Carson, D-Indianapolis, got the most money of any Hoosier lawmaker: $57.5 million that would be spent primarily on road improvements and transit projects in downtown Indianapolis.

Freshman Rep. Mike Sodrel, R-New Albany, who was given a seat on the transportation committee for narrowly defeating Democratic Rep. Baron Hill last year, got the second-highest amount in the state: $44.995 million.

Rep. Chris Chocola's 2nd District could have gotten $45 million in project funding under last year's House bill that died. Funding for Rep. John Hostettler, R-Wadesville, also substantially decreased from last year. One of the House Republicans targeted for defeat by Democrats in last year's elections, Hostettler got an above- average $40 million. But this year -- which is not an election year -- Hostettler's funding is $20 million. That means funding to construct I-69 between Indianapolis and Evansville dropped from $22.5 million to $14 million.

Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Monticello, whose clout increased this year when he became chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, increased his funding from $14 million to $20 million. Buyer directed most of that toward improving access into Indiana Beach, the amusement park in his hometown of Monticello. Buyer also directed $5.6 million toward a road project at Purdue University.

Rep. Mike Pence -- who had objected to the transportation committee chairman's desire to increase the federal gas tax to generate more transportation funding -- got the least amount in the delegation last year. This year, Pence's allocation doubled to $16 million. Indiana Sens. Richard Lugar and Evan Bayh have not yet revealed their priorities for local project funding.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/228449-5605-010.html

###

Looks like Rep. Steve Buyer is gonna be a REAL PAIN IN THE ASS for retired, disabled veterans AND active duty military and their families (and survivors) as well. Everyone needs to write the House Leadership and complain to get this guy removed from his position as Chairman of the House Vetearns Affairs Committee before it's too late!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"