The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Warfare > Warfare

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Default The rules of engagement?

Only once in my life did I have to fire a weapon in anger. I fired a M-60 and a couple of belts through it at a school building on Feb. 2, '68 in QuiNhon. The Sargent of the guard told me not to shoot when I called him on the field phone and told him that I was taking fire. I had been in the tower for several hours and when I got there the sandbags were high enough to give me some protection. During those hours I was shot at many times and the sandbags that were protecting me had leaked there sand out to the ground below the tower through the bullet holes that were in the bags. I had seen rifle flashes coming from the school building and when I called the SOG he asked me a couple questions.
1.question. Could I see my target? answer. No. He's in the school building. All I can see is the flashes from his weapon coming from the ventilation louvers of the building.
2.question. Is he enemy? answer. Duh! Maybe I should have answered that he was a good friend of mine who was upset with me because I didn't pick up the tab at the club the night before while he was celebrating Tet. I didn't answer the SOG (did I misspell that where it should have been SOB?) but locked and loaded instead.
What do you do when your enemy is hiding in a school or a masque or any public building? Where there any kids in that School? No, Tet was a legal holiday and we were under cease-fire orders don'cha'no.
After my anger fit and my 7.62 belts were expended, the incoming rounds from the school building ceased. Had to fill out a report on what happened to my two cans of M-60 ammo and why I had to have the barrel of that 60 replaced.
Sponsored Links