Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2004, 05:05 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Cool Air Force bids farewell to a legend

Air Force bids farewell to a legend

by Tech Sgt. Carl Norman
Air Force Materiel Command Public Affairs

7/1/2004 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFPN) -- The Air Force's last Vietnam-era former prisoner of war still serving retired here June 30, ending more than four decades of active-duty, Guard and Reserve Service.

Reserve Maj. Gen. Ed Mechenbier, mobilization assistant to Gen. Gregory S. Martin who is commander of Air Force Materiel Command, hung up his Air Force blue on the very last day possible, according to service age limitation laws. He is 62 years and 1 day old.

In opening remarks at the retirement ceremony, General Martin said that General Mechenbier entered the Air Force Academy in 1960. Gary Powers had just been shot down in a U-2, and America's relationship with Russia had taken a dramatic turn. The Cold War began heating up.

During General Mechenbier's four years at the academy, the first Russian went into space, followed by the first U.S. astronauts to orbit Earth. The Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis and President John F. Kennedy's assassination, along with the Berlin Wall going up, all happened while the boy from Morgantown, West Va., earned his bachelor's degree.

The general graduated the academy in 1964. Shortly after that, the Vietnam War began to escalate.

"That's the period of time when Ed Mechenbier raised his hand and began his contributions to the U.S. Air Force," General Martin said.

General Martin said that then-Lieutenant Mechenbier earned distinguished graduate honors in advanced pilot training and was assigned to fly F-4Cs at Royal Air Force Bentwaters, England, and Da Nang Air Base, South Vietnam. He was the first lieutenant in his fighter squadron to be upgraded to aircraft commander and at one time was one of only two aircraft commanders in Southeast Asia wearing lieutenant bars.

One day in June 1967, Lieutenant Mechenbier took off on his 113th combat mission -- his 80th over North Vietnam. He would not return until 1973, enduring five years, eight months and four days as a POW.

During this time "he developed a method of communicating among POWs to keep morale up, despite threats of severe physical and mental anguish if caught," General Martin said.

When the Vietnam War ended, General Mechenbier returned to the United States on a C-141 Starlifter affectionately named the Hanoi Taxi. About 31 years later, he flew that same aircraft back to Hanoi on his final flight, bringing home the remains of two people listed as missing in action.

"This tells today's Soldier, Sailor, Airman and Marine that no matter what the fate, you are not written off; you are precious; we will come for you," he said after repatriation ceremonies at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam.

In 1973, General Mechenbier was assigned to the 4950th Test Wing fighter branch here. He resigned his regular commission in 1975 and continued flying the F-100 and A-7 for 16 years with the Ohio Air National Guard.

In 1991, General Mechenbier transferred to the Air Force Reserve where he has served with the Joint Logistics Systems Center and AFMC headquarters. The secretary of defense also appointed him to serve on the Reserve Forces Policy Board.

"Despite all the titles Ed has had, I think we'll all agree the one that best describes him is great American hero," General Martin said.

Turning to General Mechenbier's wife, Jerri, General Martin thanked her for her service and inspiration and lauded the couple's dedication to each other. He encouraged everyone to not focus on the "rough spots" in his or her life, but to reflect on the impact.

"Being a POW and a waiting spouse did not define your career or lives, but it did demonstrate to all your character and devotion to the United States," General Martin told the couple.

Then turning to his two-star comrade, General Martin said, "Now, after 44 years in uniform, with the Berlin Wall down and the Cold War over ... you will step down from this Air Force. We'll do our best to carry on with the training and mentorship you've established.?

General Martin presented General Mechenbier the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal, the service's fourth-highest award. Then General Mechenbier took the podium.

"As the old saying goes, as you're getting run out of town on a rail, get out in front and make it look like a parade. Welcome to my parade," the general said, making a joking reference to his retirement because of age restrictions.

He then thanked people for helping him along in his career, presented his family with gifts, watched two of his children furl his two-star flag and signed off.

"For a fellow that graduated in the upper quarter ... of the second half of his academy class, I have been blessed," he said to light laughter. "I am proud to be the last Vietnam-era POW still serving."

With his retirement complete, General Mechenbier said he plans to stay in the Dayton, Ohio, area where he already has a job.

"I'll get back to my 60-hour weeks starting tomorrow morning," he said with a laugh.

Reflecting on his life and Air Force career after his retirement ceremony, General Mechenbier said, "My entire career was one of continuing, exciting experiences, and I never felt like I was enduring. Even during the time in jail, I was doing my job. The Air Force was 13 years old, and I was 17 or so when I joined, and it's been an exciting, evolutionary journey. I've enjoyed every minute.

"I'll miss it. There's no subtle way of saying it. I'm not going to miss the staff meetings and paperwork, but I'll miss the people. That's one of the unique bonds I've been privileged to share all these years.? (Courtesy of AFMC News Service)(U.S. Air Force photo by Larry Davenport)

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- Reserve Maj. Gen. Ed Mechenbier speaks to the crowd during his retirement ceremony here June 30. The general had more than four decades of active-duty, Guard and Reserve service.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links