The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2003, 04:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to hooah Send a message via AIM to hooah Send a message via Yahoo to hooah
Exclamation $22B Plan Announced For Veterans

$22B Plan Announced For Veterans
Associated Press
October 17, 2003

WASHINGTON - House Republicans announced a $22 billion plan Thursday to partially overturn a 19th century policy depriving disabled veterans of some retirement pay.

For veterans groups who have spent years pushing for the change, it was a long anticipated, if not fully satisfying victory.

"We've worked hard to begin this process of fulfilling our obligations to our veterans," said House Majority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., a participant in weeks of negotiations to work out a compromise acceptable to the White House and GOP congressional leaders.

The plan, to be phased in over 10 years, would mean greater benefits for about 245,000 disabled veterans, nearly half of those who see their retirement benefits reduced or eliminated under current law.

The measure is now part of a defense bill, though it could shift to different legislation if the defense measure is stalled by other disputes, Blunt said.

Under an 1890 law aimed at Civil War veterans, retirees' retirement pay is reduced $1 for every dollar in disability compensation they receive. For years, veterans and their many allies in Congress have pushed to change this, but made little headway because of the cost, commonly put at about $58 billion over 10 years.

This year, with wounded military personnel returning from Iraq, the pressure for action has increased.

Under the compromise, veterans with a service-connected disability rated 50 percent or higher by the Veterans Affairs Department would get their full retirement pay after 10 years.

VA disability rates run from a tax-free $633 a month for those with a 50 percent disability to $2,193 for someone with 100 percent disability. Under the phase in, the 50 percent disabled person would get $100 a month effective Jan. 1, 2004, and the totally disabled person $750 toward their lost retirement pay.

Purple Heart veterans - those hit by enemy fire - and others with combat-related disabilities would get full benefits. Reservists and National Guard members would be eligible for this status.

The plan sets up a commission to review the current VA disability system to ensure it is equitable.

"It doesn't solve the whole problem, but it is a giant step that will provide substantial relief for the most severely disabled and combat-wounded retirees," said Norb Ryan, retired Navy vice admiral and president of the Military Officers Association of America."

"This is a move forward," said Joe Violante, national legislative director of the Disabled American Veterans. "But it certainly is not everything and we're not going to give up the fight for those veterans that have not been included."

American Legion National Commander John Brieden said the nation's largest veterans group "will accept nothing less" than full benefits. "Just compensation for service-disabled military retirees should be no less a priority than rebuilding Iraq," he said.

Democrats have charged the White House and GOP leaders with shortchanging veterans while waging war in Afghanistan and Iraq, and were critical of the compromise.

"Republicans have put forward a deal that leaves far too many veterans behind," said House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California, adding that Democrats forced Republicans to act. "Democrats made this issue too hot for Republicans to handle."

Republicans in turn said Democrats had done nothing on the issue in the four decades they controlled the House before 1995.

"This has been around for a century, and yet only now, at this hour, do we have a significant and ... historic conclusion to this problem," said Rep. Christopher Smith, R-N.J., chairman of the House Veterans' Affairs Committee.

Rep. Mike Bilirakis, R-Fla., the lead proponent on the issue since he first introduced legislation 18 years ago, said: "We didn't think it's enough either, but it's a heck of a lot more than we've ever seen before."

You can find us in the horizon...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 PM

To Bad we need about 50 Billion
Old 10-17-2003, 08:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well, looks like I will have to wait a little while longer with all the other retirees' with less then 50% disability(mine is 40%) but ,It is getting closer... the last Change stopped at 60% so they dropped it to 50% maybe in another 10 years it can drop another 10-20% .Who Knows? ?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default They're

throwin us a "bone"!

Beware of "wolves" in "sheeps" clothing and the "tiddings" they bear!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Gimpy "I agree with ya' on this one"
Old 10-21-2003, 08:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Daniella - good post, report is situation improving... slow, but improving. I read that they've also eliminated charging our wounded for hospital food, on the grounds that "it insulted the troops". Reckon so...
Old 10-21-2003, 10:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to zachyor
Default confused

can someone help me...i just retired 31 jan 02..i have had a shoulder surgery and knee surgery plus they say i have degenertive(sorry about the spelling) disc desease and i have a bulging disc....just stuff that has added up after 20 working a flight deck and working below decks...they have me at 80%..but i was notgived a puple heart or anything like that..am i eligable for concurrent reciept?

thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 04:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Welcome Zachyor, to Patriot Files, and Home!

If you can, go to some other forums here on PF too, such as Veterans Concerns and others, and post your thread there also... we'll get you some help ASAP, which is SOP around this place... we leave nobody behind. There are some real experts on this site, in a huge variety of topics, including Vets entitlements (that's what some of us prefer to call it :-).

Be sure to go down to the bottom of your page after you post a thread, and click on "Subscribe to this Thread" when you want to keep track of any replies you get, in the easy way.

And, if you think PF is a good thing, also vote for it by clicking on the Top Military Sites icon wayyyyyyyyy down at the bottom of our Home Page too.

C'mon in and get a cup out...