The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2002, 07:35 AM

Default I shoot protected species too!

Since yesterday just might have been my last Sunday as a civilian for a long time - I decided it should be a memorable day... so I went to Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge where I've been told that you usually can see bald eagles (and tons of other birds, but I hate ducks and geese). Was hoping to see one or two... I didn't see one or two though - I saw at least 150! YEAH - 150! Endangered my ass! So I decided to shoot some of them with my brand new 70-300 mm zoom lens and my Nikon! Still not near enough zoom as I would have liked though. Here's some shots:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2002, 07:36 AM

another:
Old 12-16-2002, 07:37 AM

Sun was in the wrong direction. I spent a whole roll on these two - thought 'wow, I've never seen two at once before...' And then later I saw tons and tons.... this single picture has ONE DOZEN bald eagles in it. The all black ones are young, like old vets, eagles go bald with age.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:39 AM

This is the best shot I got. They were all pretty far away... and the authorities present would not let you leave the road to try and get closer - are a bit blurry because I scanned them at high res, and then dumbed 'em down in photoshop to make the birds as big as possible.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:43 AM

On second thought the first shot was better.

Afterwards I went running at a nearby state park. Kind of close to Rulo, NE - where 15 or so years ago there was a militia that killed the smaller, weaker children. Two men are still on death-row for this one. Supposedly there are a few more missing corpses buried in the area....

But at the park I didn't take the camera with me running... wish I did, I saw around 20 deer, a badger (we don't need no stinking badgers) and a great horned owl.

It was a good Sunday.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:49 AM

Bald eagles were removed from the endangered species list years ago. They are still protected ... just not "endangered" any morw.

Where I hunt deer, elf, and bear, about 60 miles from the house, we have bald and golden eagles year round. In the winter we have them right in town.

Nice pics.

The Old Sarge
Old 12-16-2002, 07:53 AM

I suppose they are more of a novelty around here - They only live around the Missouri River.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:40 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Question Sarge

Where do you go to hunt elf? I've been looking for those little SOB's ever since the time I didn't get the Columbia Firearrow bike I wanted for Christmas.

Several years ago a woman in this area donated $20,000 to help bring eagles back to our area. Two pair were introduced into a state park not far from where the woman lived. The next summer she was having a picnic at her home. There were several guests there and a pair of her $1,000 cats. (Why someone would pay a $1,000 for a cat is beyond me.) During the party an Eagle, or maybe it was a falcon flew in grabbed one of the cats, snapping the cats back as the bird grabbed it, and flew away. The woman actually wrote a letter to the editor saying that the eagles should be required to stay within the state reserve.
Lots of money, lots of compassion does not equal any brains.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 12-16-2002, 09:53 AM

Thanks Brad, the only bald eagle I've ever seen was a stuffed one in the science museum. How awesome!
Old 12-16-2002, 09:59 AM

I don't mean to point any fingers at anyone, Andy, but Jane does claim to be a holiday elf!

That's a great story - reminds me of all the kids last year at Christmas that wanted pet owls after the first Harry Potter movie - and the parents that tried to get them. I have no intention of being overly sheltering of my kids when I eventually have 'em... but I think I may draw the line at letting them have killing machines for pets.