The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Thinking under pressure

About two weeks after I got with my unit the LTs RTO got hit and the LT gave me the radio. I first told him I didn't want it and He said to me, Look around you, who should I give it to.
I took the radio and from then On I did the very best job I could at 'thinking under pressure' When we got hit I would not only have to take cover but give Grid to Arty or mortars and any info the LT wanted I would have to have so he could make dissisions that affected us all. There were a couple of times when I thought I was not holding up my end of the deal. One day I found a little message wrote on my hand set from LT. Just one word but it made a world of difference to me, It said "THINK" I was blessed with some LTs that were great teachers in the art of thinking under pressure. I tried to learn all I could from them, Like talking at someone and pointing at someone else. I was going to recall some times where the LT had helped me with the 'Think' thing but tell you the truth , there are to many times and to many different LTs.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Some days even the Platoon Leader doesn't know what to do but to tell every one to follow him and keep movin. We all held up our end as best we could.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Me and the LT always made a sleeping area togeather, He had to make it cause I was ordering resupply and checking SIT_REP with mortars and arty and 6. One night about 2 in the morning we decided we were going to F with the LT, ( He always had an answer no matter the question) We just wanted to see him frustrated and without a answer.
We (I) went and woke him , saying, LT. LT. Theres a heard of elephants comming what should we do????
He looked at me and rolled over and said put up another row of sandbags and give them a hand signal to the left.
I was so impressed by his snap at 2 in the morning out of a dead sleep, that I remembered it and wrote it hear.
We , went on trying to catch him without words, Never did.

Ron
Old 08-22-2006, 09:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Man I was glad I didn't carry one of those PRC25's you were a target for sure, take out the commo and you were lost.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote