The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Women Patriots

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2003, 10:17 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to judyvillecco
Cool Academy won't tolerate sexual assault

Allegations that female cadets were reprimanded after reporting sexual assaults at the air force academy in Colorado brought secretary James Roche to an audience of about 2000 in early March or near the end of February. Most cadets declined to comment although he received a standing ovation when he said it wouldn't be tolerated. Interviewed on the Today show the academy's superintendent, Lt. Gen. John Dallager said he did not think officials intentionally dismissed, or minimized rape allegations. This small article was in my Daily news March 1, 03.

In another follow up article the next day it was noted the Air force team didn't consult the rape clinic that helped the 22 cadets. The executive director of the TESSA rape-crisis clinic, Cari Davis said cadets had been coming there the past 15 years because they feared retribution at the Academy. The victims were punished and some expelled for reporting, some called but didn't come in.

Dorothy Mackey, a former Air force captain who founded an advocacy group that tracks sexual assaults in the military said the failure to consult the clinic further proved the need for an outside investigation involving civilian prosecutors. This is all show. They don't want to know what happened because some of these rapes were committed by men who are now generals and colonels. One of the assaults was allegedly committed by an Air Force colonel 6 months from retirement. He was allowed to retire with reduced pay and benefits!

O'Reilly show had a brief segment on about this as well. What troubles me is that the same ole same ole is still going on and nothing changes since I was in in 1975! I wrote the National Center that does studies for PTSD for the VA including studies for women and found it dramatically lacking on studies done on sexual assaults in the military and the results. Being in the system myself and finding out the criteria used is based on the woman is lying 6 out of 10 times where it is the opposite by FBI standards which says less than 1 out of 10! This explains to me the coverup that still exists in our own military and the lack of evidence forthcoming.

I ask that concerned veterans and others write as I did and demand studies be opened up about the true nature of sexual assault in the military with independent outside investigating agencies.Evil flourishes when good men and women do nothing. Peace to all. :cl:

You may write to Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington D.C. 20011 or Center for Women Veterans 810 Vermont Avenue NW Washington D.C. 20420 Attention Joan Furey Director Phone number 202-273-6193 Fax 202-273-7092 or call the 1-800-827-1000 or use http//iris.va.gov/Scripts/Iris.cfg/php.exe/enduser/cci/t link
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2003, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post No institution likes to expose its dirty laundry.

Almost all institutions, military, government, big business, churches are unwilling to expose their dirty laundry. And, to a certain extend that may be okay if you deal with the problem.

However, if you wink at these crimes and do nothing it does not provide justice to the victim. And, in many situations the victim becomes the a double victim when the perpetrator gets off scott free. Disgusting! Deal with the problem correctly and hope the national press doesn't pick it up.

Sweeping such terrible crimes under the carpet violates the code of ethics at the Academy. The General and other officers involved in the cover up should be fired, kicked out of the Air Force and stripped of their rank. They kick them out for cheating on a test and this is much worse. A double standard.

Keith
Old 03-07-2003, 12:45 PM

Unhappy

Well unfortunately the National press should be reporting more on this but it is remarkably silent as is the news. I find that strange and sad.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:32 AM

Red face Update 3-8-03

Slight mention on the news today that the Air Force Academy acknowledges 55 reports over the past 10 years of sexual assaults and promises to deal with these even though the war with Iraq is afoot. Officials say they now believe many still are afraid to report or come forward. :re:
Old 03-20-2003, 05:08 PM

Women aren't only afraid to report such incidents to their superiors, but they are embarrassed and ashamed to. It's such a violation of their whole being that some do not even want to acknowledge it happened. They would rather try to forget about the incident then to report it. Unfortunately, unreported incidents lead to more incidents.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:48 PM

Cool

You are so right!
Unfortunately too many are revictimized by reporting. The statute of limitations on rape in the U.S. Military is only 5 years...less than most states! If a woman reports it she has to first report it at the base through her chain of command. The problem is when it involves her chain of command there is a big tendency to put pressure on the woman to shut up. It then has to go to Jag on the base your in. If the perpetrator worked for Jag.Washington will still insist you tell Jag on the base it happened. Does this sound like a run around? Most women give up and aren't strong enough after the incident to deal with all this and with only a 5 year wimdow the rapist gets away with his pension and the woman gets the lifetime of trauma and anger for the discrimination the uncle gave her. It isn't fair and the woman never gets over the unfairness of it all even if she walks away. The scars the woman bears are for life and the man gets paid and rewarded for his deed, courtesy U.S. Military coverups. The fox in the henhouse. This is why outside intervention and investigation needs to happen through an independent agency.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:18 AM

Cool

Well finally top command were fired for tolerating 52 sexual assaults at the academy over a ten year period and punishing the wrong people for it. Some justice for them. It's a start. Still the Department of Justice keeps silent on their Statute of limitations of 5 years for rape. No doubt the firings were scapegoats for the full story to take the heat of the rest.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to vetgirl

I can say from experience that "it don't mean nothing". It does NOT need media attention. It does need TLC. What's done is done. Understanding, love and ATTENTION is what's needed. I never told. Maybe I should have. I was young, he was young. How many more times did he do that?... I never remembered till I was 32 years old. What if I had attention? What if someone realized something was wrong with me????? I am still ok.

to quote my song "nobody gonna break a my stride; nobody gonna slow me down"

love you guys
I got to keep on moving
Deb
Old 05-06-2003, 09:43 AM

Cool

Hi Deb, you know I feel for you but I disagree on the media attention thing. I think it's the only way the fox will get out of the henhouse. The perps operate in darkness and only media attention like the civil rights movement and the peace movement of the 60's brought change. Light shown on evil brings change not keeping the evil secret. That's just my opin and you can differ. i love you. sis.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:47 AM

There is an agency for Federally Employed Women who are or were discriminated against in trying to report rape through chain of command (fox in henhouse) and the new Associate director Kimberly Korbel wants to resolve and help with these issues that are legitimate. She is very nice, hope she lasts and isn't silenced into inaction. She may be reached at 202-898-0994 or at few@few.org if any woman has complaints of sexual/battery discrimination that is falling on deaf ears going nowhere. It will take women speaking out to the right people to get action and change in mindsets long entrenched and reinforced. You will need specifics and who you have already contacted and must provide name and address info and phone number.