The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Warriors Saloon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2002, 09:17 PM

Default The Great Outdoors/Outdoor Sports

I enjoy being outdoors. I do a lot of outdoor activities. I thought it would be interesting to share and hear about the greater outdoors i.e., fishing, camping, hunting, kayaking, hiking and more. Some of us could use some experienced advice. Share your outdoor stories and jokes with us.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2002, 09:24 PM

Here's a cooky story:

Kudos, Mama Bear
Grizzly Teaches Bad Man a Hard Lesson.

There's no justice. That was our first thought when we heard that Jesshua Amun, an activist for Buffalo Field Campaign, had been mauled by a Yellowstone grizzly. Amun had been hiking the park with other Campaign workers on a mission to protect wild bison.

Then the truth filtered out, and it showed that the griz had a better nose for justice than we did. Turns out Amun was hardly the tree-hugger he claimed to be. Heck, he wasn't even Jesshua Amun. Even with 300 stitches on his face, police identified him as Jeffrey S_ _ _ , a man wanted in Ohio since 2000 for failing to pay more than $20,000 in child support. They took him directly from the ER to jail.

"I think he got his just dessert," says Mike Meese, campaign coordinator for the Buffalo Field Campaign. "Nature has its own way of flushing things out."
Old 12-02-2002, 09:31 PM

Default Safeguard Your Digits From Frostbite

The early warning signs of frostbite: Skin feels cold, looks pale, and/or hurts. As freezing progresses, the skin gets paler and the pain stops. With more freezing, the skin grows hard, like ice. Serious frostbite may produce skin that looks purple.

If you see early warning signs, stop immediately and warm the cold parts with skin-to-skin contact. Don't rub the cold skin.

Ibuprofen helps prevent clots from forming. Take 400 mg as soon as you suspect frostbite and repeat every 12 hrs.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:33 PM

Default Beverage to Warm You Up Outdoors

Comfort Mocha

1 tsp instant cocoa
1 tsp instant coffee
Milk
1 1/2 oz Southern Comfort

Old 12-16-2002, 08:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Just got back from Rocky Ford Creek a day of fly fishing.

The premier spring creek for fly fishing in Washington (the state). We caught and released 5 big trout. All over 20" and all weighed over 6 lbs. Philly come on up and we'll see if we can catch some. They are hard to catch but worth it.

Keith
Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 AM

Howdy Keith,
Sounds like a good time. I'm waiting for the ice to thicken up enough to drive on so we can do some walleye fishing. They're doing good up north already but we've been too warm here. That will change soon.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:34 AM

Good Morning Keith,

How does a weekend in April sound? Provide info. on location. I have camping equipment if needed. I also have a kayak I could bring just in case someone wants to take it out. We'll have fun.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:45 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

Awww Keith I wish I was there!!! I am sitting in a pool of jelousy. I love to fish...deep sea, fresh or fly, gimmy them all. I asked my father what he wanted for a gift this year & he said "I want to go fishing again in San Diego your treat" Every year we go out on a 3/4 day & spend some quality time. I grew up fishing with my dad catching the only "big one" every time. If they only had some fresh water in San Diego, the closest is a 2 hour drive heheh. Dont leave us out of a campout in April/May.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Yes it is a lot of fun.

Thanks,

Drywall, When we lived in Newport, WA, the Northeast corner of the State of Washington. We had access to the panhandle of Idaho, and Montana for fly fishing greatest place in all the world to live for fly fishing. Ellensburg were I live now is in Central Washington, just east of the Cascades. Really not the quality of fishing here in Central Washinton as what we had in Newport. Lots of Ice Fishing up there in the Newport area, caught lots of perch, kokanee salmon, and some trout.

Rocky Ford creek is a direct result of building Grand Coulee Dam. The result of the irrigation projects, and the ground water levels rising from behind the dam. It created a varily large spring creek with all kinds of food for trout right in the middle of dessert. They gorge themselves year round and become huge. Great fishing. But with all the national attention it very crowded and the fish literally see thousands of flies cast at them over a year. You have to be precise in the fly patterns you use and accurate in your casting. But, once you get it down it can be fun.

Philly and Bernbenjamin,

We need to get another west coast campout going with Chris, still cold up here in April but it sounds like fun. Have you guys meant yet. Aren't you both in the San Diego area?

Keith
Old 12-17-2002, 09:55 AM

Hi Keith,

No, I have not met Benjamin. San Diego is approximately
6 hrs. away from the Bay Area.

Nice to meet you on the boards Bernie. I hope you and your Dad will make it in April.