The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Marine history question

A couple of weeks ago My wife and I were watching "The West Wing" and my wife made a remark about the secret service guarding the White House. I corrected her in that the secret service only protects the president and selected others, the White house is guarded by the U.S. Marines, as are all United States Embassies world wide. My question is, how and when did the Marines come to have the job of guarding all embassies. NO GUESSING OR SURMISING PLEASE, I CAN DO THAT MYSELF. My guess is that it had to do with the original formation of the Marines as the presidential guard and that the President could order in the Marines to a conflict without congressional approval. BUT that is just my surmising. I am sure that some of you can provide me with the correct answer.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

On Nov 10 , 1806 24 year old Cpl Thomas Washington was caught in bed with the wife of the Ambassador to Paris. Cpl Washington swore he was there to guard her ....................... and the rest is History. Hope this helped
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Sid check this link out.

http://www.msgduty.info

It is a good site that has been listed with our topsites almost from the beginning. I am sure they could accurately answer your question.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote