The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2002, 05:00 PM

Angry quiz score results

David,
I finally got a decent score on your weekly quiz, this week (100%), and then you go and change the site and don't even list my score. What's up, buddy ?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2002, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I have been a little busy and have not got to post the quiz scores for the last week yet. They actually span two weeks at this point. I will be updating everything as usual on the site this weekend and should continue to do so in following weeks barring any unseen incidents
Old 04-20-2002, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I have a question.

I always thought the battle of Lexington and Concord were one battle. That's the way its listed in my history book. Took a guess at another battle.

Must have been a trick question.

Boy Am I ignorant of the Korean War. Must do some reading. I know much more about the others wars but one in my own life time I'm ignorant. Shame on me.

Keith
Old 04-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Angry

David, T he Korean has never officially ened. A state of war stiil exist betyween the the K/s Witness our massive prescence in the country. There is have aprolonged peace fire in effect, I don' really care about my scores on the games but I am a STONE COLD history freak and and a luke warm student of the politicians and their SHORt SIGHTED policies that lead to our being placed to harms way were being the enemy serves no LONG TIME benefit. To sum it up the military if they saw a house on fire woud they do everthing to save the house. If He saw my house on fire the politician would just save the rooms of the guys who voted for him .cynical MAYBE- But 51 years of dealing with these people give me guite an in site to the true agenda[color=royalblue]
Old 04-20-2002, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Distinctions

Keith here is a history of the two battles.

On the 15 of April 1775, General Thomas Gage, British Military Governor of Massachusetts, was ordered to destroy the rebel's military stores at Concord. To accomplish this he assembled the "Flanking units", including Light Infantry and Grenadiers, from his Boston Garrison. He put Lieutenant Colonel Francis Smith and Marine Major John Pitcairn in charge. He also composed a relief column under the command of Lord Hugh Percy to leave 6 hours after the main column. In an attempt at secrecy he did not tell his officers his plan until the last minute. The problem with his security measures were that Boston had become a glass fishbowl. All rebel eyes were watching to see the British' next action, and when the garrison committed to an action, the Americans knew their every move.

At midnight on the 19th of April the British column, consisting of 650-900 troops left Boston, crossed the Charles River, followed closely by the alarm rider Paul Revere. As the British marched towards Concord, the entire countryside had been alerted to their presence, and rebel militia was deployed to meet them.

Until this time there was no armed resistance to the British that had resulted in loss of British life. Several Months earlier, Gage had attempted to destroy miliary arms at Salem and met with resistance but no shots were fired, and the British retreated without completing their objective. Lexington Militia Captain John Parker had heard of the events at Salem, and collected his men on Lexington Green to face the British column.

At dawn Smith's advanced parties under the command of Major Pitcairn, arrived at Lexington Green to see a group of armed Militia in formation across the Green. Pitcairn ordered the militia, led by John Parker, to be surrounded and disarmed. In response Parker ordered his men to disperse. Then a shot rang out. No one really knows who fired first, but the British, hearing the shot, fired upon the small group of militia, killing 8, and wounding 10 more. The militia then retreated into the woods to avoid the British fire.

So started the first battle in the American Revolutionary War.

The British column then advanced to Concord, and in spreading out to destroy some cannons believed to be at Provincial Colonel Barrett's farm encountered a group of armed militia at Concord North Bridge. This time when shots rang out the Americans were more prepared, and fired back in "The Shot Heard Round The World.", and so began the American Revolution. The short battle at the bridge was a rout, and the British abandoned the bridge, retreating to Concord center. Knowing that he was in a dangerous situation, Smith decided to return to Boston as soon as possible. In his retreat the real battle began.

Militia and Minutemen from all surrounding towns had marched toward Concord, and when the retreating column ran into this army they were outflanked, out gunned and scared. The Americans did not fight as the British did. Instead of forming an offensive line the provincials used small squad and company tactics to flank the column and inflicted heavy damage. Because the American's never formed a firing line the inexperienced British had little to shoot at. This style of flanking and shooting from behind trees, walls etc. destroyed the British morale, and they broke ranks while retreating towards Lexington.

Had it not been for the relief brigade of Lord Percy the British retreat would have been a disaster. Waiting at Lexington, Percy used his two cannon to disperse the provincials and collected Smiths troops back into regiments. He then led the retreat back to Boston. Under Percy's command the retreating column maintained control, even under heavy fire, and the retreat to Boston was a success. The British suffered badly, nearly 20 percent casualties, but more importantly, this action led to the siege of Boston and the start of the Revolutionary War.

While is is common to speak of both battles as one they were in fact seperate encounters along the same march.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:48 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Lightbulb

Just to add an odd little note to Dave's message. Major Pitcairn was a close friend of Captain Cook of the British navy. Cook discovered and named all sorts of places to include Pitcairn Island. Remember the Mutiny on the Bounty, Captain Bleigh and all that. Well, the island were the Bounty ended up was named after Major Pitcairn.

Keith, while you were at Fort Devens you were about 15 miles from Lexington and Concord, I'm surprised a man of such intelligence would think they were one place. Girls from Concord are a lot easier. Oop sorry, sorry bout that.

X-grunt, great impersonation of ZZ Top! And of course your right about Korea, there is still just a truce.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 04-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Distinctions

Thank you for pointing out the error of the Koprean War question. I have changed the text of the question to "On what date was the Korean War Cease-Fire signed?".
Old 04-22-2002, 07:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Revoloutionary War...

...new site that has interesting history of the War, and N.Y history during those times...
www.independencetrail.org
for those of you that want to go back that far.......

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 04-26-2002, 06:41 PM

Default trick question

Keith, it is more of a trick question. Both events took place on the same day, but the Brits were going to Concord. The Lexington men happened to be in the way. It was the route the Brits took. Dave, gave us the long version. Poor Major Pitcairn did survive the year.

Dave, since I was history teacher for 25 years, I am glad the story is told correctly.

"We will stand our ground. If they want to pass, we let them pass."
Old 04-26-2002, 11:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Andy!

Visited Lexington and Concord many times. Read the story. Just seems to me to be the continuation of one action or battle. Just several actions within the Battle would be my interpretation. David's History is correct, but is it one battle with several actions or two seperate battles. Whatever.

Keith