The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2004, 01:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 22nd Infantry Regiment Vietnam Monument

I served with Co. C 3/22 and Co. B 2/22 in the 25th Infantry Division. I believe the 1/22 was with the 4th Infantry Division.

Rest In Peace.

Salute !!

Larry

http://c22inf.bravepages.com/monument.htm
Old 01-23-2004, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

rear
Old 01-23-2004, 01:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

last
Old 01-23-2004, 02:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

Next time I'm at Ft. Benning, scheduled for sometime this Spring, I'll visit that marker, bring myself to Attention, and delivery a firm, deliberate, and sustained Present Arms. Thanks for the great photos!!
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MAY

God rest all 825+ of them in Peace, and Bless all who survived.

PEACE AND CALM TO YOU, LARRY.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:26 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

God Bless all the 825+ who gave their All
"SALUTE"

Thanks for the great Pics Larry
Old 01-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MD

I remember 2/22 and 3/22 was part of 4th inf div. I was in 25th infantry at the time along with the 1/22. In August 1967 the Army wanted to gather the troops closer to there headquaters. 1&2 Brg of the 4th was in northeren 2 corps and 3rd brg was in Southern 2 corps.
1 & 2 brg of 25th inf was in southern 2 corps and there 3rd brg was in northern 2 corps.
Instead of moving all the troops from north to south and from south to north, the Army had the 3rd brg's change patches. No one moved and all three brg were togeather. 2/22 and 3/22 went from 3rd brg 4th inf to 25th inf. overnight. and oposit for the 1/22.
It was a lot easier doing it than writting about it. I can wear either the 25th or the 4th on right sholder. Proud of both.

Ron
Old 01-24-2004, 12:51 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default The change

The 2nd and 3rd of the 22nd became part of the 25th in 1967. That same year the the 23 Infantry, 4th/23rd, changed from leg to mech. To make the transition easier a group of triple duce guys came to our unit (prior to my arrival in RVN). When I got to the 23rd one of the first things I was told was, "If a old 22nd guy says something listen very closely, they know their $hit." My personal experience with them was that they were good, very good. First squad leader I had was a 2/22 guy who didn't give a damn for Charles but if anything we did could harm us he was all over you like white on rice.

I've not done much reading about the 22nd's history in Vietnam other than what the 3/22 did at Ap Chow in Feb. of 68. But the guys I served with from triple duce were first rate. They would have fit in very nicely with Patton or N.B. Forrest.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 01-24-2004, 01:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Had no idea that guys from the 25th became guys from the 4th. Interesting. Beautiful monument. They lie asleep in the arms of the Lord. God Bless them.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-24-2004, 01:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Al Santoli, author of several great books about the Vietnam War was in the C Co. 2/22 just before I was. Have talked to him several times. A super-nice guy and top-notch author.

Al Santoli is the author of "Everything We Had: An Oral History of the Vietnam War" and "To Bear Any Burden: The Vietnam War and Its Aftermath". He has served as an investigator for the U.S. House of Representatives POW/MIA Task Force.

also wrote or co-wrote :

"Forced Back and Forgotten: The Human Rights of Laotian Asylum Seekers in Thailand"

"New Americans: An Oral History"

"Leading the Way"

"Refuge Denied: Problems in the Protection of Vietnamese and Cambodians in Thailand and the Admission of Indochinese Refugees into the United States"

Here is a page with some good books about the 4th and 25th ID.

http://www.22ndinfantry.org/bookspx.htm